+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unwritten Rules of Baseball

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Re: Unwritten Rules of Baseball

I saw a good one in the almanac that I would expound on. It said never put a closer in a tie game. I would go further by saying never put a closer in a non-save situation, rather it be a tie game, down, or winning but no chance of save. Very few can handle these situations (Rivera and upper echelons can), but not your normal closers. They just arent wired to pitch in these situations once they get that closer mentality.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Maybe we need a copy of these rules posted in the Shack. I know the reason AG even wrote anything on the dry erase board was so those that had more sense wouldn't say anything like "And they still have no hits" (like our announcer) so Rupert would not have to hear that while working on a no-no. That would be a much bigger deal.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by falcon View Post
    If the homeplate umpire gets beaned...the catcher goes out to the mound to give him some recovery time.
    Thanks for posting this one. This also goes the other way around. If the catcher takes a shot, the Umpire will wipe off the plate, or check with the base umpire to see what his favorite pizza is, something just to stall a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by HoDo-Tech70 View Post
    There is a list of the unwritten rules of baseball at http://www.baseball-almanac.com/lege...liunwrit.shtml. Some of them have been mentioned in this thread but others have not. I've seen most these rules violated at some point in time. One rule on the list -"hit behind the runner at first" - is probably the unwritten rule violated the most.
    THANKS HoDo!! #1 was something that I was talking about in one of the games earlier this year. I can't remember the whole situation, but I was upset that we were either putting the tying/winning run in scoring position or putting them on base. You and I had a discussion about it, but I just forget the whole situation at this time.

WOW... #28 looks like an EBRCP rule.... at least one that they should read sometime. :icon_wink:

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

I cannot remember which manager did this, but once his team was up on the BoSox by 2 runs and 2 outs in the ninth. Manny was up with the Bases Loaded, and the manager intentionally walked in a run because he didnt want to pitch to Manny with the Bases Loaded. They got the next guy out and won the game. Wow, that is one of those rules that doesnt even need to be thought about since it is so crazy, but it worked out.

Puppy DawgyDawg is just really niceDawgyDawg is just really niceDawgyDawg is just really niceDawgyDawg is just really niceDawgyDawg is just really niceDawgyDawg is just really niceDawgyDawg is just really niceDawgyDawg is just really niceDawgyDawg is just really niceDawgyDawg is just really niceDawgyDawg is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by falcon View Post
    No dogpiling by the visiting team after a meaningless win. On a doubleplay grounder,slide into 2nd base or risk getting hit bt the throw to 1st base. If the homeplate umpire gets beaned...the catcher goes out to the mound to give him some recovery time.
    Is this out of respect to the umpire or so the umpire doesn't kick the catcher between the legs when the catcher squats for letting the ball get through?

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DawgyDawg View Post
    Is this out of respect to the umpire or so the umpire doesn't kick the catcher between the legs when the catcher squats for letting the ball get through?
    Sportsmanship. Many umps (with brains) will do the same after foul tips that hit the catcher as well.

I told my catcher's 2 things in the first inning and after this our lives would be great.
    #1. Don't let me get hit, you've got the glove.
    #2. Have fun. You're playing Baseball.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    Sportsmanship. Many umps (with brains) will do the same after foul tips that hit the catcher as well.

I told my catcher's 2 things in the first inning and after this our lives would be great.
    #1. Don't let me get hit, you've got the glove.
    #2. Have fun. You're playing Baseball.
    That sounds like what my past girlfriends said.

Champ TulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her game TulsaDawg's Avatar

This is not an unwritten rule, but it is my rule and many will disagree. With very few exceptions, don't intentionally walk the bases full.
    Go Tech!

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Here's one that the pro and most college umpires adhere to...If the SS or 2nd baseman makes a graceful looking play at second for the double it doesn't matter if or when the bag was actually touched. This rule goes well with the basketball rule that now allows carrying the ball or traveling.

Varsity Bulldog beefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nice beefcakes's Avatar

12Never give up a home run on an 0-2 count.

In high school, if you gave up an 0-2 BASE HIT, our head coach would make you run until you threw up.

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaDawg View Post
    This is not an unwritten rule, but it is my rule and many will disagree. With very few exceptions, don't intentionally walk the bases full.
    Yeh, not big on this unless you are up by one in the ninth and runners on 2 and 3rd no matter how many outs. It is good then because a base hit beats you anyway, and you create force outs with it.

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

-Don't strike out looking.

-Don't pop up the bunt.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beefcakes View Post
    12Never give up a home run on an 0-2 count.

In high school, if you gave up an 0-2 BASE HIT, our head coach would make you run until you threw up.
    High School? You guys must have had some great pitchers. The pitcher gets the count to 0-2 and the coach demanded that a ball be thrown next? Not sure I agree with that one. Not saying he should ease it across the plate, but most high school pitchers don't have the type of control to hit the inside corner.

Tell me more. What pitch did he call next?

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    That sounds like what my past girlfriends said.
    You used to date umpires?

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Someone please explain this one to me:

15. Take a strike when your club is behind in a ballgame.

+ Reply to Thread