+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When Leon talks - we listen

Varsity Bulldog svb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the rough svb002's Avatar

When Leon talks - we listen

Just wanted to post the front page story from the News Star website. I don't have any thoughts on it at this time.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs...EWS01/70327050

Champ altadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her game

Re: When Leon talks - we listen

""While Barmore understands the frustration Long and the Techsters felt, he still wishes they would have gone ahead and accepted an NIT bid.

“I think they should have gone,” Barmore said. “You never want to burn bridges, and now you might now receive an invitation again. And it keeps the kids playing and striving to get better. It’s still a national tournament and playing in it couldn’t hurt you and might help down the road.”"

YEP. Not that I care.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

"I think they should have gone,” Barmore said. “You never want to burn bridges, and now you might now receive an invitation again. And it keeps the kids playing and striving to get better. It’s still a national tournament and playing in it couldn’t hurt you and might help down the road.”

Interesting comments -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ bluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond repute bluecrew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    "I think they should have gone,” Barmore said. “You never want to burn bridges, and now you might now receive an invitation again. And it keeps the kids playing and striving to get better. It’s still a national tournament and playing in it couldn’t hurt you and might help down the road.”

Interesting comments -
    Coach Barmore on the show today at 4:15. Really looking forward to it!

www.espn977.com

1-888-993-7762

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

He, also, stated that Long knows his team and he trusts that decision. I thought Long's comments were good as well. I wish this article would have happened the week we lost to NMSU.

I, also, VERY MUCH appreciated Leon's comments about how we can still compete on a National stage and loved the comment below, which was THE most important comment in the article:

“Parity only helps a school like Tech. That night I was watching the bracket show I think I counted 28 mid-major teams that made the tournament. Don’t tell me that Tech can’t do better and can no longer be the consistent winner it’s been in the past, because that’s not true.”

In fact, Barmore feels buying into that kind of belief would hurt the program.
    “No one should accept the fact that they think can’t be the best,” said Barmore. “When people surrender the program, we’re gone. When winning the WAC tournament becomes a big thing, we’re gone. This is a program traditionally known as one the best year in and year out, and winning a conference title isn’t enough with the history and tradition of the Lady Techsters.

“Anything short of a national championship shouldn’t be acceptable. The time for the Techsters is not over and they’re going to have to find ways to address it and turn things around.”

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

How much can Leon participate in recruiting? I am wondering if Long could ask Leon to go on a visit with him when trying to get a top recruit.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

I don't think PEOPLE surrendered the program. I think JO and DR did when there was no true search for a coach.
    Last edited by Cal&Ken; 03-28-2007 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal&Ken View Post
    I don't PEOPLE surrendered the program. I think JO and DR did when there was no true search for a coach.
    Just don't surrender.

Big Dog exit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really nice exit84's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    He, also, stated that Long knows his team and he trusts that decision. I thought Long's comments were good as well. I wish this article would have happened the week we lost to NMSU.

I, also, VERY MUCH appreciated Leon's comments about how we can still compete on a National stage and loved the comment below, which was THE most important comment in the article:

“Parity only helps a school like Tech. That night I was watching the bracket show I think I counted 28 mid-major teams that made the tournament. Don’t tell me that Tech can’t do better and can no longer be the consistent winner it’s been in the past, because that’s not true.”

“No one should accept the fact that they think can’t be the best,” said Barmore. “When people surrender the program, we’re gone. When winning the WAC tournament becomes a big thing, we’re gone. This is a program traditionally known as one the best year in and year out, and winning a conference title isn’t enough with the history and tradition of the Lady Techsters.

“Anything short of a national championship shouldn’t be acceptable. The time for the Techsters is not over and they’re going to have to find ways to address it and turn things around.”
    The next sentence says more to me than the one you highlighted.
    "When winnning the WAC tournament becomes a big thing, we're gone."

Isn't that what happened this year?

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exit84 View Post

Absolutely. And Champ - my opinion on it doesn't make any difference what so ever. I don't get to put the uniform on or coach the team. The coach and players are responsible for this. I really do hope Long can fix it. JO and DR should be ashamed, but sadly I am sure they don't give a crap.

Champ 1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light

I would not expect him to say something different. I mean does anyone really think barmore would say, "The Lady Techsters days as a national power are over. Too many BCS schools are pumping money and resources into WBB now for a low budget school like Tech"?

I agree that this is what happened this year to an extent. It was by force, though. There are many of us (and I am including both of you) that do NOT want to give up on reaching the top. This year, it was evident that we were not going to do that, so I continued to hope for the best that we could do. There was not one person satisfied with the results.

I hope that Barmore speaking out lights a fire under the current and future players in this program. The drive should be to get back to the elite.

I want to repeat my question about Barmore and recruiting, though. Is there any rule about him not being able to go on a recruiting visit with our coaches? This would be at Long's request, of course.

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bluecrew View Post
    Coach Barmore on the show today at 4:15. Really looking forward to it!

www.espn977.com

1-888-993-7762
    I hope he doesnt know how you truely feel about womens basketball.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exit84 View Post

I don't think anyone really looked at winning the WAC tournament as a big thing. It was a thing that had to be done with how our season turned out. No one would have been swinging from the rafters with a tournament win. In fact, I think everyone would still have been disappointed that it took that win to get us to the tourney. A tourney championship would have been more of a relief, which isn't that much better, either.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

I agree that this is what happened this year to an extent. It was by force, though. There are many of us (and I am including both of you) that do NOT want to give up on reaching the top. This year, it was evident that we were not going to do that, so I continued to hope for the best that we could do. There was not one person satisfied with the results.

I hope that Barmore speaking out lights a fire under the current and future players in this program. The drive should be to get back to the elite.

I want to repeat my question about Barmore and recruiting, though. Is there any rule about him not being able to go on a recruiting visit with our coaches? This would be at Long's request, of course.
    To be honest, I don't think any of the current or future players really give a crap what Leon has to say. His opinion isn't going to effect them on bit and the fact that he has never really gotten the props he should have from the national media doesn't help one bit.

As far as him being able to recruit, I don't know how those rules work. Of course, if he were on the coaching staff in some capacity, I don't think there'd be a problem.

+ Reply to Thread