+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flooring

Big Dog Rickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really nice

Flooring

Anybdy here ever put down DuPont laminate flooring? Easy or difficult?

(Wasn't sure where to post this. This seemed like the best place.)

Champ saltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your time saltydawg's Avatar

Re: Flooring

Quote Originally Posted by Rickeydad View Post

I've never done it but it should be fairly easy for someone who has some experience using power tools. I plan on putting some down and have checked out the process. You will definitely need a miter saw with a 10" blade to cut the stuff.

Some brands are easier to install than others. I would look at different brands and see how the dupont brand stacks up.. How many sq ft. are you planning to do? For big jobs you can order by the pallet.

A key factor is to let the flooring climatize to the room for at least 4 or 5 days, That means taking it out of the carton and letting it adjust to room temperature and humidity.

Remember to take up the molding around the bottom of the wall before installing the stuff. There is a tool out there that you can use to cut the molding by 1/2" or whatever but for small jobs just take the molding off carefully and put it back when you are done. Finish nailers are very good for that.

Hope this helps.

Big Dog Rickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really nice

I'm going to do our entire downstairs. Something like 4 rooms and the foyer. It will be a job.

It looks easy and I'm hoping it really is.

I just got a Dewalt table saw for our anniversary - just proves she's a keeper!

Yes this helps some.

Basically, all of her friends say its hard, get somebody to do it. All of the males I've asked say its easy.

Champ saltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your time saltydawg's Avatar

I'm going to do our entire downstairs. Something like 4 rooms and the foyer. It will be a job.

It looks easy and I'm hoping it really is.

I just got a Dewalt table saw for our anniversary - just proves she's a keeper!

Yes this helps some.

Basically, all of her friends say its hard, get somebody to do it. All of the males I've asked say its easy.
    Around here Lowes wants $2.29 a sq ft. which is absurd. Measure hpow many sq ft. you need and check out the pallet place on the web. If you need less than 800 sq ft. go with the top-of-the-line 1/2" stuff. If you need more go with the 5/16th. Lowes sells a cheapo water vapor/cushioning pad that will work. Are you putting it over concrete or plywood?

I would not use a table saw to cut the stuff. The mitre saw is a lot faster.

Anyway, there is alot of advice on the web and at the local big boxes so I would not be afraid of doing this project. I would just research the hell out of it before starting.

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

It's a cake job. You'll be able to pull it off no problem. If I can do it ANYBODY can. Check your local Home Depot to see if they have a class coming up on the subject or like the above post encourages do your research online.

http://www.flooring.dupont.com/en/in...d/detail.shtml
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saltydawg View Post
    I've never done it but it should be fairly easy for someone who has some experience using power tools. I plan on putting some down and have checked out the process. You will definitely need a miter saw with a 10" blade to cut the stuff.

Some brands are easier to install than others. I would look at different brands and see how the dupont brand stacks up.. How many sq ft. are you planning to do? For big jobs you can order by the pallet.

A key factor is to let the flooring climatize to the room for at least 4 or 5 days, That means taking it out of the carton and letting it adjust to room temperature and humidity.

Remember to take up the molding around the bottom of the wall before installing the stuff. There is a tool out there that you can use to cut the molding by 1/2" or whatever but for small jobs just take the molding off carefully and put it back when you are done. Finish nailers are very good for that.

Hope this helps.
    And don't forget to label the moulding so you know what goes where when it's time to put it back provided it's still useable.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

don't be surprised in our southern humidity states that you might have to take out some length after a change in seasons. The laminate tends to expand. After that adjustment, you'll really enjoy the look of it!
    tm
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    don't be surprised in our southern humidity states that you might have to take out some length after a change in seasons. The laminate tends to expand. After that adjustment, you'll really enjoy the look of it!
    tm
    So you are saying the best thing to do is install it in the late Spring or Summer?

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Our flooring butted up against concrete at two opposite ends and had no where to "give" during the expansion. Our guy laid it out before Christmas 2005, the expansion occurred in the spring. He had warned us not to be surprised.
    It expanded. We weren't. We called him back. He fixed it by trimming up.
    Very nice flooring.
    We did the bedrooms this past Christmas.
    tm
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

Did Rattay sign yet?

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

i've never done dupont, but i've done my share of laminate. salty's right about a mitre saw being faster and easier, but if you're doing multiple rooms, you will need to make some pretty complex cuts, which would be hard or impossible with a mitre saw. for my last laminate job, i actually used both.

I would go ahead and buy a blade that is made for cutting laminate. it will have smaller teeth so that it doesn't chip the finish.

don't forget to cut the bottom off the door casings with a threshold saw. that way you can slide the flooring underneath and you won't have expansion gaps around the door frame.

finally, don't forget to leave a good expansion gap on all ends so that it won't buckle. you don't have to remove the baseboards if you use a wide quarter-round shoe molding, but you can leave a wider expansion gap if you do remove them.

i just realized that you were not asking for advise, but only asking if it was easy or difficult. it is fairly easy if you have the right tools. i can't think of a flooring project that would be easier. it still has its share of frustrations, but it's definitely the easiest floor you can put down. just make sure you don't buy the cheapest brand, and use a combined pad/vapor barrier (sorry, giving advice again).

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    i just realized that you were not asking for advice...
    There's nothing wrong with advice!

+ Reply to Thread