+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Grilling, Gas or Charcoal?

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Re: Grilling, Gas or Charcoal?

Got a grill couple of weeks ago. Went with the 22 inch Weber gold kettle. I have to say it's the best charcoal grill i've ever used...cooks really even, clean up is easy, and it looks great.

Any thing I put on it came out really good...kabobs, burgers, sausage, pork chops, vegi

Champ sik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the rough sik-m-boi's Avatar

i like my cheapo gas grill. it gives me more control and is way quicker (for me) to get started. plus (and i may catch hell for this) i prefer the cleaner taste gas gives...not a huge fan of the smokey taste.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sik-m-boi View Post
    i like my cheapo gas grill. it gives me more control and is way quicker (for me) to get started. plus (and i may get grilled for this) i prefer the cleaner taste gas gives...not a huge fan of the smokey taste.

edited for applicable pun.

Champ sik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the rough sik-m-boi's Avatar

you are so very clever.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Bringing this back be back!

I’m looking to get a dedicated smoker/BBQ rig. I can’t bust the bank. I’m down to three options:

1. Mod my cheap off-set smoker.
    2. Pit Barrel Cooker
    3. Weber Smokey Mountain

Not really looking at pellet cookers at this time. Any body got experience with the OBC or the WSM?

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Wow -- there were no iPhones when this thread started.

You should get a prize JL.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    Wow -- there were no iPhones when this thread started.

You should get a prize JL.
    I’ll take a smoker!

Champ Lotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant future

I have the Big Green Egg and Green Mountain Pellet Grill with WiFi remote. Love them both but I use each for different purposes and sometimes in concert with each other. If I want a nice seared steak (ribeye, T-bone/porterhouse, fillet), you can't beat the Egg. Can I smoke on the Egg? Yes you can but over the years I've become a lazy mofo and don't want to spend my day/night tending to it like you would most wood burning smokers.

That's where the Green Mountain Pellet Grill comes in! If I want slow smoked ribs, brisket, turkey, chicken, etc. the pellet grill is awesome especially with the WiFi feature. I dump my desired pellets (oak, hickory, mesquite, pecan, cherry, apple, or combinations of those) into the pellet hopper, set the grill to my desired temperature, put the meat probe into the carcass, and close the lid. I can monitor the status of the meat, adjust the temperature of the grill, and turn it off from my cell. And yes, from anywhere!

Additionally, I have used both for pizzas and the like. Both work quite well but it takes some time for the Green Egg to stoke for pizza and the Green Mountain Grill will get up to 500 degrees in about 5-10 minutes making it perfect for pizzas. Also, I have used both in conjunction with each other. I've seared bone-in rib roasts and brisket on the Green Egg then slow smoked them on the pellet grill for several hours with outstanding results. I've also done it in the reverse as well...smoked then seared before serving.

I’d love to have a kamado style cooker one day. I’ve got a Weber kettle that I use for grilling. I also have a Weber gas grill for super fast start up. I’m mainly concerned about smoking things that don’t fit will on the Weber kettle.

My offset is an option, but I’ve got some work to do on it before I can keep the temps like I want them. I certainly see the appeal of a pellet grill...I just like tinkering with the fire and getting a pretty heavy smoke when I want one.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what constitutes "busting the bank" so check these out : https://www.campchef.com/smokers-gri...e/smokers.html

I have the 24" and can smoke a LOT of meat at one time. Mine is 3 yrs old & has held up well. I did have to replace the door handle this year but cost less than $20.

I have a Treager I love but it won't do the volume the Camp Chef will. Still occasionally smoke on my Weber using a Smokenator 1000: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=i...=1QRC5YZ1ZMY2R

I've had good results with the Weber & Smokenator. Since I already had the Weber, it was a less expensive way to have a smoker without buying a complete rig - $60. That was years ago, but it still works and being stainless steel it will never wear out. (The first time or two it takes a little patience to get it in place correctly. But once you get the hang of it, it slips right in. (TWSS))

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    I’d love to have a kamado style cooker one day. I’ve got a Weber kettle that I use for grilling. I also have a Weber gas grill for super fast start up. I’m mainly concerned about smoking things that don’t fit will on the Weber kettle.

My offset is an option, but I’ve got some work to do on it before I can keep the temps like I want them. I certainly see the appeal of a pellet grill...I just like tinkering with the fire and getting a pretty heavy smoke when I want one.
    if you have a good offset already, they sell pretty cool little wifi-controlled blowers that can attach to the firebox to control your temperature for you. i work with a guy who says he gets pretty good results with his. they aren't cheap, but they cost less than a new pellet smoker.

I think I’ve decided on the pit Barrel cooker. It’s a 30-gallon drum that acts as a stationary rotisserie by channeling the air around the food. I think it will be more work than a Weber Smokey Mountain for brisket and pork butt (two things I rarely cook) but far more “set it and forget it” for ribs and chicken. It’s a veteran owned business, so check it out if you need a new back yard toy.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

I think I’ve decided on the pit Barrel cooker. It’s a 30-gallon drum that acts as a stationary rotisserie by channeling the air around the food. I think it will be more work than a Weber Smokey Mountain for brisket and pork butt (two things I rarely cook) but far more “set it and forget it” for ribs and chicken. It’s a veteran owned business, so check it out if you need a new back yard toy.
    Thank goodness that's over. It only took 42 posts for you to decide what cooker to buy. I hate to think how long it takes some of you to make a real decision.

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Thank goodness that's over. It only took 42 posts for you to decide what cooker to buy. I hate to think how long it takes some of you to make a real decision.
    Does a BBQ decision not qualify as a real one? Your Texas citizenship is about to be revoked!

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Does a BBQ decision not qualify as a real one? Your Texas citizenship is about to be revoked!

+ Reply to Thread