+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Grilling, Gas or Charcoal?

Big Dog westdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the rough

Re: Grilling, Gas or Charcoal?

I use my Weber Kettle for competition steaks. Have the Weber charcoal baskets pushed together to the center overflowing with hot coals, and then a cast iron smoke box with coals on top of it to the back. I use Grill Grates (aluminum grates) and get them to about 620 and then cook hot and fast, about 5 minutes each side depending on thickness. Allow about 7 degrees carryover.

I generally sous vide when cooking for myself and then sear in cast iron skillet.

I use chimney starter with a regular grate on top for cooking deer steak super hot and fast. Can get a char without over cooking the center of the thin cuts. You have to be focused when you do this and flip every 15 seconds or so or you will overcook quickly.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westdawg View Post
    I use my Weber Kettle for competition steaks. Have the Weber charcoal baskets pushed together to the center overflowing with hot coals, and then a cast iron smoke box with coals on top of it to the back. I use Grill Grates (aluminum grates) and get them to about 620 and then cook hot and fast, about 5 minutes each side depending on thickness. Allow about 7 degrees carryover.

I generally sous vide when cooking for myself and then sear in cast iron skillet.

I use chimney starter with a regular grate on top for cooking deer steak super hot and fast. Can get a char without over cooking the center of the thin cuts. You have to be focused when you do this and flip every 15 seconds or so or you will overcook quickly.
    Seems like grill grates are a must have for the competition steak circuit. I'd love a set for my weber.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Big Dog westdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Seems like grill grates are a must have for the competition steak circuit. I'd love a set for my weber.
    Pretty much. Only reason I would say that someone would "need" them outside of the competitions is that they do a great job of reducing flair ups.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Got my rib rack, got my apple wood chunks. Anxious to see how the St. Louis style ribs come out this weekend.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Got my rib rack, got my apple wood chunks. Anxious to see how the St. Louis style ribs come out this weekend.
    Looking for pics

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Was surprised to receive a Big Green Egg on good Friday. I'm super impressed with the ease of use and charcoal efficiency. Need to get a plate setter to use it for indirect stuff, but I used it twice this weekend and it's a ton of fun.

Any egg heads here?

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Grill Dome here. Passed on the green egg; like the Grill Dome ceramic specs.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

I love my BGE. Have the plate setter, cast iron grate, electric fire starter, and the large table. Love smoking ribs or chicken. Steaks come out perfect. Make sure to clean the ashes out often so the air flow is always good.

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    I love my BGE. Have the plate setter, cast iron grate, electric fire starter, and the large table. Love smoking ribs or chicken. Steaks come out perfect. Make sure to clean the ashes out often so the air flow is always good.
    Plate setter is looking like my next purchase. Thinking of just holding out for the expander...but still gotta get the place setter (I think)

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Plate setter is looking like my next purchase. Thinking of just holding out for the expander...but still gotta get the place setter (I think)
    What about one of the auto temperature controllers?

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    What about one of the auto temperature controllers?
    Doesn't that take all the fun out of it?

I love the availability for accessories, but there is certainly a BGE premium you pay for their official stuff.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Thinking of just holding out for the expander...
    twss

Champ saltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your time saltydawg's Avatar

Was surprised to receive a Big Green Egg on good Friday. I'm super impressed with the ease of use and charcoal efficiency. Need to get a plate setter to use it for indirect stuff, but I used it twice this weekend and it's a ton of fun.

Any egg heads here?
    I bought a steel egg for $300 about 5 years ago like to use it to smoke fresh turkey. Use hickory and apple wood chucks with lump charcoal. I put a cheap aluminum pan with a 50/50 mix of mango juice and water underneath the grill on top of the pizza stone. Cook at 250F after an hour at 350F. The turkey turned out very dark but the flavor/texture/moistness of the meat was excellent.

Anyway, I now believe that the infrared gas grill is the way to go. Can smoke with it too. Mine only goes up to 600F. Commercial models go uo to 1200F. Baby back ribs, rib-eye steaks, etc, turn out crisp on the outside and moist inside. The best part is that the grill can self clean at 600F.

Like someone mentioned much earlier in the thread, meat preparation is the name of the game. I like to dry rub then sit in the frig for 24 hours.

"All roads lead to Putin" -- Thomas Jefferson

Salty, the meat prep is sorely underrated. A so-so cut of meat can be made gourmet with the right prep.

Going to smoke some chickens tomorrow. Last time, I smoked 1 at 225 for abut 4 hours. Came out pretty moist. Anyone have an idea as to whether I should cook 2 at a hotter temp or longer?

+ Reply to Thread