+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Imus/Rutgers

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

Imus/Rutgers

Since I am always amazed by the diversity of opinions on this board, I wanted to throw out for discussion the Imus/Rutgers "scandal."

Last night while flipping through the channels, I discovered Glen Beck, and for those of you who don't know which way I lean, it is as far opposite of Beck as possible.

Beck mentioned that Imus was just being Imus. Beck went on to say that what Imus said was completely inappropriate and uncalled for, but he suggested that to fire Imus is to impose sanctions on his freedom of speech.

Does Imus have the "right" to say what he said? Of course he has the "right" to say it. Just like I have the right to say what I think of far right evangelical wing nuts, and just like those same wing nuts have the right to say what they want about gays, liberals, etc. But, I don't host a talk show, and as far as the wing nuts go, they and I are generally on opposing sides of issues and therefore fair game and prone to verbally assult one another, even if impolite and offensive remarks are made. There is a context for it, as opposed to what Imus did.

Imus took on innocent student athletes, and what seems to be missing in all of the media reports is that he goes on to mention that all of "Tennessee's players are pretty." Why, Imus, because they have more white players? Because some of their black players are lighter skinned? Do tell, Imus, by what standards you draw your conclusion. By comparison, almost ANYONE would be deemed prettier than Imus. And how would we have felt, as Techster fans, had those comments been made about our team?

Is this the discussion to be having? Whether or not he has the "right" to say it? In my opinion, it isn't about his "right" or "rights" to free speech. It's about respect and dignity, neither of which he seems to comprehend, in my opinion. Sure, he apologized, and seemed sincere, until he began to berate Sharpton for not appearing on his show. I'm no fan of Sharpton, but Imus is an idiot for suggesting that Sharpton lacks courage for not appearing on his show.

Although I have long held resentment toward the majority of the south regarding homophobia (I'm not saying I'm CORRECT to have that notion, but I do have it nonetheless), I am NOT one who predisposes every white person in the south to be racist. It would, however, interest me to hear the opinions of some on this board. Even those who generally disagree with every word I type, just for the sake of disagreeing.

If there are any opinions, please share. Thanks.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Imus/Rutgers

FFAF,
    There are 2 threads on this already. They are on the general sports section of the board.

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    FFAF,
    There are 2 threads on this already. They are on the general sports section of the board.
    Sorry Champ. Didn't know that.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by fanfromafar View Post
    No problem. Just wanted to let you know. Good post, by the way.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

You would if you were a fan of all of Tech's programs instead of just the Techsters.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

I won't quote your whole post and address the whole post because as Champ has pointed out, there's already two threads addressing this idiot. However, I would like to make a couple of comments and get your reaction to these.

The first is that since you seem to be offended at Imus' racial comments enough to come on here and talk about it, I would like to see you do the same the next time a black comedian or any other black personality makes a racial comment about whites.

Secondly, I find it rather stereotypical of you that you resent the South for homophobic tendencies when other parts of the country are just as prejudiced against homosexuals. I also find it rather amusing that you homosexuals want to accuse others of being so closed minded, yet you hastily jump on a stereotype.

Also, I find it funny that you want to criticize this moron for his comments about the Rutger's wbb team for being disrepectful but at the same time want to call names of those who don't hold the same views as you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    I won't quote your whole post and address the whole post because as Champ has pointed out, there's already two threads addressing this idiot. However, I would like to make a couple of comments and get your reaction to these.

The first is that since you seem to be offended at Imus' racial comments enough to come on here and talk about it, I would like to see you do the same the next time a black comedian or any other black personality makes a racial comment about whites.

Secondly, I find it rather stereotypical of you that you resent the South for homophobic tendencies when other parts of the country are just as prejudiced against homosexuals. I also find it rather amusing that you homosexuals want to accuse others of being so closed minded, yet you hastily jump on a stereotype.

Also, I find it funny that you want to criticize this moron for his comments about the Rutger's wbb team for being disrepectful but at the same time want to call names of those who don't hold the same views as you.
    Dirty, if you would read my post without your obvious filters you would see that your counterpoints were completely off target. But, I expected this of you. :icon_wink:

I'd be happy to, dirty. But I think you missed the point that it was a media personality using his platform to attack student athletes who'd not done anything to provoke his tirade.

Secondly, I find it rather stereotypical of you that you resent the South for homophobic tendencies when other parts of the country are just as prejudiced against homosexuals.

You, as a straight man, have no idea what you're talking about regarding the above statement. But if you go back and read my post, you'll see that I stated that I don't claim to be correct in my assumption, it's just my position.

I also find it rather amusing that you homosexuals want to accuse others of being so closed minded, yet you hastily jump on a stereotype.

I pointed out that my responses and name-calling are specifically aimed at those I am in conflict with. Does it justify it? No, but it is in response to attacks made. I also clearly stated free speech is something that I respect. I simply called into question Beck's defense of the Imus comments in that context. Again, you missed it on this one.

See above paragraph.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

You, as a straight man, have no idea what you're talking about regarding the above statement. But if you go back and read my post, you'll see that I stated that I don't claim to be correct in my assumption, it's just my position.
    BS...you don't have to be gay to recognize homophobia just as you don't have to be a minority to recognize racism.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

I'd be happy to, dirty. But I think you missed the point that it was a media personality using his platform to attack student athletes who'd not done anything to provoke his tirade.
    And what do you call these comedians and other personalities? While not a "media" person, they are still every much, if not moreso, heard by the public and I'm quite sure they're racist remarks against whites are also against me as a white, and I'm quite sure I haven't done anything to provoke their tirades.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    BS...you don't have to be gay to recognize homophobia just as you don't have to be a minority to recognize racism.
    You are correct. Anyone can recognize it. However, I think someone that is a minority understands the ramifications more.

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    You are correct. Anyone can recognize it. However, I think someone that is a minority understands the ramifications more.
    You're straight. You simply cannot understand it from a gay person's perspective. That's not being bigoted. That's a fact. You may perceive many areas of the country to be very safe for a gay couple to live. I know to the contrary. And you may consider many areas homophobic that I know to be accepting. Unless you've lived as a gay man you won't get it. Just like I won't get your perspective as a straight man.

But as usual, you have harped on specific issues while missing the big picture. I don't expect more from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    And what do you call these comedians and other personalities? While not a "media" person, they are still every much, if not moreso, heard by the public and I'm quite sure they're racist remarks against whites are also against me as a white, and I'm quite sure I haven't done anything to provoke their tirades.
    Then fight back! Don't ask me to fight your battles. The point of this was Imus and the Rutgers team. You've, as usual, taken it all down to a conservatives vs. the world issue.

Then fight back! Don't ask me to fight your battles. The point of this was Imus and the Rutgers team. You've, as usual, taken it all down to a conservatives vs. the world issue.
    I don't need to fight back. I'm a white, straight male. I own the world.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

You're straight. You simply cannot understand it from a gay person's perspective. That's not being bigoted. That's a fact. You may perceive many areas of the country to be very safe for a gay couple to live. I know to the contrary. And you may consider many areas homophobic that I know to be accepting. Unless you've lived as a gay man you won't get it. Just like I won't get your perspective as a straight man.

But as usual, you have harped on specific issues while missing the big picture. I don't expect more from you.
    He was taking up for you you dufus! You really need to go on a Gays R Us board and cry. There is no one here bashing you are telling you they even care if you are gay. If you can't handle it, stop telling people- I already told you, I don't care. This is a sports board for goodness sake. Champion is probably the only one who would defend you here - why are you dogging him?

+ Reply to Thread