+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Virgina Tech Shootings

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Re: Virgina Tech Shootings

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    He voluntarily went in to the "institute", so no red flag popped up during his background check.
    From an article it appears that it wasn't voluntary.

On Dec. 13, 2005, a magistrate ordered Cho to undergo an evaluation at Carilion St. Albans, a private psychiatric hospital. The magistrate signed the order after an initial evaluation found probable cause that Cho was a danger to himself or others as a result of mental illness.
    The next day, according to court records, doctors at Carilion conducted further examination and a special justice, Paul M. Barnett, approved outpatient treatment.
    A medical examination conducted Dec. 14 found that that Cho's "affect is flat. ... He denies suicidal ideations. He does not acknowledge symptoms of a thought disorder. His insight and judgment are normal."
    The court papers indicate that Barnett checked a box that said Cho "presents an imminent danger to himself as a result of mental illness." Barnett did not check the box that would indicate a danger to others.
    They must not have had access to his poetry or scripts.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post

Well, that's what they were saying yesterday on the news. From what you posted, it appears that the EVALUATION wasn't voluntary, but the fact that he checked in was voluntary as the doctor approved outpatient therapy. I haven't been keeping up with it today. Have you seen the video he made? That cat was crazy.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post

No lie. I read some of his stuff - 1/2 a page maybe - can't imagine anyone turning that in and expecting to not get tossed out of class on their ear - and I didn't get to the murder stuff. Current students, can you turn in a profanity laced paper and expect to get a grade in English at our Tech? I hope not! This guy screamed problems!

Have two VA Tech alums at work and another guy whose cousin teaches there. She'd given a test that morning. Apparently one of her students went to her next class after the exam and didn't live to tell about it. I don't know how those students will be able to finish the year. I bet they have the world's biggest curves of all times. Hard to imagine how you could even sit in class and pay attention!

I used to think suicide was the most selfish act of all. I was WRONG. Taking as many people with you at the same time is the ultimate in selfish acts.

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roadwild17 View Post
    Sure, you can call it a clip, and I will know what you are talking about. But I will also know a lot about your knowledge of fire arms. I've put out the information, use it or not a clip is a clip and a mag is a mag.
    Whatever. Welcome to the board.

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Have you seen the video he made? That cat was crazy.
    I haven't and can't find it online. Can you post a link?

Quote Originally Posted by markay714 View Post
    No lie. I read some of his stuff - 1/2 a page maybe - can't imagine anyone turning that in and expecting to not get tossed out of class on their ear - and I didn't get to the murder stuff. Current students, can you turn in a profanity laced paper and expect to get a grade in English at our Tech? I hope not! This guy screamed problems!
    I've seen worse in a movie theater. Much less grotesque than any of the Saws, much less demented than the movies such as Gangster No 1 on IFC... I was shocked to hear the instructor say it was odd. Many English instructors would call that creative... I think it's sick and horrible, but we (as a society) have supported that type of thinking for this student's entire life.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roadwild17 View Post
    I do have problems if the reports that he was committed to an institute for mental problems are true. I dont know if VA reports that type of information to the proper authorities, but I believe it should be.

Sure, you can call it a clip, and I will know what you are talking about. But I will also know a lot about your knowledge of fire arms. I've put out the information, use it or not a clip is a clip and a mag is a mag.
    But are there even laws to prevent the sale of guns to people who have been mental patients (particularly outpatient)? I don't believe that kind of thing shows up on criminal background checks.

By the way, the quotes in the media from his "psyc evaluation" are excerpts from a mental status examination, which is generally a quick screening in which the individual answers brief and direct questions. It will be interesting to see if they report whether he underwent more thorough evaluation. In a setting like this the guy was probably just saying what he thought they wanted to hear so that he could get out of there. If he had declined the "voluntary" evaluation he would have been locked up, so he was apparently smart enough to at least go with the motions.

Anyway, a mental status exam can be relatively easier to fake if one is so inclined, but there are more thorough means of evaluation that are a lot more resistance to putting up a false front. Based on the level of pathology this kid seems to have exhibited for years, I doubt that a thorough evaluation would have missed his psychopathology. In this case, though, it seems like he was referred for counseling, they did a quick triage with a mental status exam and perhaps another quick diagnostic questionnaire, and in the absence of obvious symptoms he was referred to outpatient counseling. And if there were not charges pending, then he likely was not required to comply with treatment.

Puppy Roadwild17 has turned a few heads around hereRoadwild17 has turned a few heads around here

ANTI-TRAFFICKING
    Is there a one-handgun-per-month limit on gun sales? Yes

State law restricts gun-trafficking by limiting the number of handguns that can be purchased at one time. No more than one handgun may be purchased by a person within a 30-day period. This restriction on bulk-buying of handguns helps prevent gun traffickers from buying handguns at gun stores and reselling them on the street to criminals.

BACKGROUND CHECK AT STATE LEVEL
    Do state police perform a background check in addition to federal NICS check? Yes

Virginia: State law requires gun buyers to go through a state-based criminal background check in addition to the federal NICS check. This is the best system since it includes checking both state and federal records to prevent criminals and other prohibited people from buying guns. in 2000, 2,568 gun buyers failed the criminal background check and were stopped from buying guns.

http://www.bradycampaign.org/legisla...php?st=va#bgnd

While I can find no information about the mental status of gun owners in the state, Virgina has more stringent gun laws than Louisiana.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

A Message from Louisiana Tech University

Virginia Tech has endured an unimaginable event, and the resulting grief and pain simply cannot be explained or measured. On behalf of the administration, faculty, students and alumni of Louisiana Tech University, we offer our deepest sympathy.

The college experience is for most students the happiest, most memorable time of their lives. For Virginia Tech students, it has become a shadow of grim reminders of horror, fear and pain. Our hope and prayer is that time will heal the wounds of the body and the heart.

The greatness of Virginia Tech is seen even in these dark days. The leadership, the response of the students and faculty, and the compassion of a stunned nation have been inspiring. The nation has embraced the Virginia Tech campus, and the Hokie spirit can be felt across America.

God bless Virginia Tech.

Daniel D. Reneau, President

Puppy Roadwild17 has turned a few heads around hereRoadwild17 has turned a few heads around here

Good Words

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by markay714 View Post
    Current students, can you turn in a profanity laced paper and expect to get a grade in English at our Tech?
    Yes. You are even allowed to put profanity in the Techtalk now.

Champ Jen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really nice Jen_Leigh's Avatar

Just thought I would let everyone know . . . tonight in Centennial Plaza there will be a candlelight vigil for the students who lost their lives at Virginia Tech. It starts at 8PM. If you are around the Ruston area you should stop by. Also right now there is a ROTC guard on duty and they will do the changing of the guard every hour. I hope to see a lot of people there!

+ Reply to Thread