+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Virgina Tech Shootings

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

Re: Virgina Tech Shootings

Quote Originally Posted by daybreaker2 View Post
    Are you serious, or just on crack? Jack Thompson was ALREADY on Fox News blaming video games for this.

Youre right about one thing- it IS unbelievable what a biased "news" channel will air. Only this time, it's wasnt your precious "liberal media" who was spinning it.

It's sad that a douchebag like Jack Thompson will go on air to further his agenda just hours after this tragedy before we even know the victims identity.

And its also sad that people like Rooster come on here and already blame the liberal media for spinning it when they havent even done it yet, much less when FOX news is the one spinning it.
    I'm serious and not on crack, idiot. Jack Thompson is a moron for blaming video games and anyone else who does is a bigger idiot. Usually, the media, for the most part which is liberal(don't even try to say that is not true) blames everyone else for crap like this except for the person who does this. People are accountable for their own actions, decision making, etc . . . No one else. My point that is that most of the media outlets will try to blame his first grade teacher for taking away his recess or something like that. What are you doing watching Fox news anyway?
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MattB View Post
    Between the talking heads, and reporters who could careless about what happened except that it means ratings, and....MORE AIRTIME FOR ME!!!111!!!! I wanted to puke.
    Today more than any other I got the sense that those folks (mainly the guests) don't care at all. There was hardly any sense of melancholy about the entire events. They all wanted to get their airtime and make sure that everyone remembered their names.

Champ daybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time daybreaker2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    My point that is that most of the media outlets will try to blame his first grade teacher for taking away his recess or something like that.
    My point was that within a few hours of this tragedy, you already started whining about how the liberal media *will* spin it (not *has* spun it, but might possibly in the future spin it) and blame someone else. And I was just pointing out that the first group to spin it was Fox News and the conservative media, blaming video games.

If this guy turns out to be a chinese national, then the "liberal media" wont blame his "1st grade teacher" or whatever, and it wont be the fault of video games.

It's sad that the first thing that pops in your mind in a tragedy like this is "I better go bash the liberal media before they even do anything". And its even sadder that Fox News let a known douchebag like Jack Thompson spew his hate-filled lies at a time like this.

Today was not the day to bitch about the liberal media when they havent even done anything. Today is a day of sorrow, mourning and prayers.
    "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

My point was that within a few hours of this tragedy, you already started whining about how the liberal media *will* spin it (not *has* spun it, but might possibly in the future spin it) and blame someone else. And I was just pointing out that the first group to spin it was Fox News and the conservative media, blaming video games.

If this guy turns out to be a chinese national, then the "liberal media" wont blame his "1st grade teacher" or whatever, and it wont be the fault of video games.

It's sad that the first thing that pops in your mind in a tragedy like this is "I better go bash the liberal media before they even do anything". And its even sadder that Fox News let a known douchebag like Jack Thompson spew his hate-filled lies at a time like this.

Today was not the day to bitch about the liberal media when they havent even done anything. Today is a day of sorrow, mourning and prayers.
    You are right, Fox news sucked today. Usually the media tries to spin it. Here is an example of some parents. I'm sure this will be all over the news the next couple of days.
    “I hold this president completely accountable,” said Shourds. “They are cowards. They can’t come out and say they made a mistake.”

What kind of idiot holds the president and chief of police accountable for someone being crazy? There is no way this guy could have been stopped. They weren't even sure after the first shooting. 2 peope were killed and some say they were thinking it was a murder/suicide. The only person to blame is the murderer himself. NO ONE ELSE. To call for the president to be fired is ridculous.
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    What kind of idiot holds the president and chief of police accountable for someone being crazy? There is no way this guy could have been stopped. They weren't even sure after the first shooting. 2 peope were killed and some say they were thinking it was a murder/suicide. The only person to blame is the murderer himself. NO ONE ELSE. To call for the president to be fired is ridculous.
    From what I've gathered, the University went on lockdown after the first shooting. The lockdown ended and then the second shooting occured. CNN was on in the intramural center and they were saying on CNN that the shooter was arrested. Later, after this aired, the second shooting occurred.

Perhaps Shourds feels the President and Chief of Police should be fired for arresting the wrong individual and releasing the lockdown?

Who is Shourds? Is that a witness or a news person? If it is a witness, maybe they are still in the adrenaline rush and aren't thinking calmly just yet?

I'm just speculating.

Big Dog TechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her game TechSupporter11's Avatar

The big question that's going to be asked for many days to come is of course...Could some, if not all, of this tragedy have been prevented?...there will be plenty of time to debate this...but one thing I know is that sometimes, for some reason beyond my understanding, a tragic event occurs where EVERYTHING has to go wrong and does go wrong for the tragedy to happen (ex. Hurricane Katrina, 9/11)...

The gut-wrenching things I hear/read are from the students who were in the classroom that survived by playing dead...the gunman was sickly determined to kill, chaining the door to a class, going out of a class for 30 seconds and then trying to get back in after hearing commotion inside from survivors, witnesses saying "he seemed very thorough about it"...again, something that is far beyond my understanding...

What I do know is that all hearts and minds are with Hokie nation and that all of our hopes are with those who have lossed and those who are still battling...

Champ tigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant future tigtoo30's Avatar

First of all, my thoughts and prayers go out to all of the families and victims.

What makes me totally angry, besides the lunatic that did the shooting, is the press (liberal or conservative). I watched the press conference, and then the talking heads. Now as most of you know the press conference was the same as it always is, the press asking the SAME DAMN questions over and over, and the cop saying we can't release that info yet...I swear I was about to lose it. Does any reporter have anything original to ask any more or do they sit next to each other saying..."Oh...good question, Bob. Maybe I'll ask it too." I mean it's like they're in Vegas hoping for the slot machine to hit. The cop said the following:

At 7:15 a 911 call came in on the first shooting, they responded.
    After locking down the crime scene, they told the RA's to get everyone out of the way in that dorm.
    After talking to a couple of witnesses, they determined that it was a possible domestic situation and they got a lead on a person of interest who was off campus, they went to follow up on that.
    As they were interviewing the person of interest, the second shootings began.
    We all know the rest.

During the press conference, even I got all of that information, and I'm no genius, but maybe I LISTEN. Why the hour long press conference? I just don't get it....

Then I've been watching the talking heads, and to be fair, I've been wathcing them all, the guy on 360, Greta, MSNBC, and even that hag Nancy Grace. You'd think they were all 1st class detectives. All of them have blamed the school for not letting everyone (36,000 students (only 9000 on campus)and faculty)personally know RIGHT after the first incident, which was determined to possibly be a domestic disturbance. Haggy Grace even goes so far to link both incidents together even though federal ballistics checks haven't determined that yet. It was all about the drama and how loud they could talk. Just makes me sick.

To my shock and awe, the ONLY reporters that had anything interesting to say were Matt Lauer who brought up the question that if the two incidents were related, then why were they 2 hours apart when the buildings were only a 5-10 minute walk from each other....and believe it or not (and I can't believe I'm saying this) Geraldo, who took a stand for the administration and campus police, by explaining the time and details it takes in the first steps of canvasing a crime scene which caused the delay. He even reported that he had gotten some information from a source that led him to a facebook page of a VT student who fit the eye-witness profile....on the page, pictures of him with guns and ammo all around. Will it pan out who knows.

Sorry for the rant, but after listening to the story, I'm mad and exhausted from being mad.

The blame lies solely on the lunatic who pulled the trigger. I just wish the media would get it!

Peace and God bless the victims and families of all of those effected.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post
    From what I've gathered, the University went on lockdown after the first shooting. The lockdown ended and then the second shooting occured. CNN was on in the intramural center and they were saying on CNN that the shooter was arrested. Later, after this aired, the second shooting occurred.

Perhaps Shourds feels the President and Chief of Police should be fired for arresting the wrong individual and releasing the lockdown?

Who is Shourds? Is that a witness or a news person? If it is a witness, maybe they are still in the adrenaline rush and aren't thinking calmly just yet?

I'm just speculating.
    Apparently only the dorm where the shooting occurred was locked down, and the only official communication from the university to students, faculty, and staff came via e-mail minutes after the second shooting was over. This is the parents' justification for calling for the president's and the plice chief's jobs. (Not saying I agree or disagree, just clarifying.)

This is a very politically charged incident. Unfortunately there will be kernels of truth in almost every explanation or "spin" that is offered, but there will also be loads of speculation and pure BS. It seems most likely that there is mental illness involved, which all by itself raises more than enough issues to go around.

Champ tigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant future tigtoo30's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechSupporter11 View Post
    The gut-wrenching things I hear/read are from the students who were in the classroom that survived by playing dead...the gunman was sickly determined to kill, chaining the door to a class, going out of a class for 30 seconds and then trying to get back in after hearing commotion inside from survivors, witnesses saying "he seemed very thorough about it"...again, something that is far beyond my understanding...
    I saw that interview too. My heart goes out to that poor girl (the bald one). It was just eerie when she said that there were 25 in her German class, and when the cops got there, only she and 3 others were led out under their own power (and 2 of them were injured). I can't begin to fathom what she went through, and pray that God takes away those memories so they don't haunt her for the rest of her life.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post

I'm just speculating.
    Shourds is a parent of/uncle to a couple of students that currently attend or have attended VA Tech.

The president and chief are NOT to blame.

Media needs to WAIT for once on something... They are going to screw this up and a lot of people will lose jobs and much more even though they shouldn't just because the media won't back off and leave the investigating and fact finding up to the people who knows what they're doing (and that goes for a lot more things than just this incident)

Also, WEAR VA TECH COLORS TOMORROW IF YOU CAN!!! (Chicago Maroon and Burnt Orange) It's a small gesture of support for VA Tech... Coincidently, there was a facebook event started and I liked it and thought I would share the "movement" to you all.
    Last edited by JuBru; 04-17-2007 at 03:03 PM.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Really Tragic Event. Brought tears to my eyes.

Surely, even you gun-control advocates can recognize that in the most gun-controlled spaces - school, church, playground, whatever - the wicked rule; they can slaughter the innocents at will.

Had this bud when I was an undergraduate at LA Tech ( he was dumb as a mule when it came to book learning and flunked out pretty fast; later he went to work at a post office ) who carried a Beretta .32 semi-auto pistol to every class; it was with a shoulder holster when seasonal (clothing permitting). I wondered why ??

Perhaps, he was ahead of the times ??

Me, I say join the NRA for the political input ; and get a permit to pack, and do it.

jmo

Champ daybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time daybreaker2's Avatar

I'm all about people having guns for personal protection. I just think they should be registered and licensed in a similar way to vehicles.

It's sad that the media has to spend all day speculating on what "might" have happened, just because they feel the need to get ratings. The story is sad enough without bringing in people who have no clue what theyre talking about and who will look like huge idiots when the facts are revealed.
    "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt

Champ Jen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really nice Jen_Leigh's Avatar

I think all the colleges should do something for VA . . . I'll wear a black ribbon for a week. Maybe we should all do that here at Tech

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

It's sad that the media has to spend all day speculating on what "might" have happened, just because they feel the need to get ratings. The story is sad enough without bringing in people who have no clue what theyre talking about and who will look like huge idiots when the facts are revealed.
    Can you say Duck Lacrosse? Not that I am comparing this to that, but the media had those kids guilty before any facts came out. Then Nyfong made it political and Duke caved. VA Tech and the community should not bow to any pressures out of haste because it messues up more lives then have already been messed up. Let the dust settle and then make decisions based on the facts of the matter. It is crazy that when the media gets involved, people feel like they need to cave.

Another example is Rutgers letting that football player go because ESPN found out about his criminal record, although Rutgers already knew of it. So, what happened? The media found out about it, so now you have to dismiss the kid. That is the biggest load I have ever heard.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg View Post
    Can you say Duck Lacrosse? Not that I am comparing this to that, but the media had those kids guilty before any facts came out. Then Nyfong made it political and Duke caved. VA Tech and the community should not bow to any pressures out of haste because it messues up more lives then have already been messed up. Let the dust settle and then make decisions based on the facts of the matter. It is crazy that when the media gets involved, people feel like they need to cave.

Another example is Rutgers letting that football player go because ESPN found out about his criminal record, although Rutgers already knew of it. So, what happened? The media found out about it, so now you have to dismiss the kid. That is the biggest load I have ever heard.
    What is Duck Lacrosse? Is this a new sport?
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

+ Reply to Thread