+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: "Haka" just pregame taunting?

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Re: "Haka" just pregame taunting?

Quote Originally Posted by SundayJam View Post
    That player was wrong. That misinformed quote sounds like youthful exuberance to me.

The Haka is a way of collecting the energy of the group and group's ancestors and the god of war. Thugerry and the defense of one's field have nothing to do with it. It was a grass roots decision by some of the team's players to incorporate more of the Polynesian culture into our program. Besides, its not the La Tech fan's reaction that the players should worry about, but the reaction of the ancestors and the god of war. I can't think of a better place in sports to keep this tradition alive than at the University of Hawaii.
    You are so correct and you have just agreed with what everyone else has said. There is no better place that AT the University of Hawaii. To go to others home field and do that is classless- but we have all come to expect to less.

Oh, and please clue us in if you do get any reaction from those DEAD ancestors or your inanimant god of war. We will be holding our breath waiting.

Big Dog SundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to behold SundayJam's Avatar

Hi guys, I've got plenty of trash talk on the other thread.

Haka has got nothing to do with bombing by Japs or disrespecting the host of an away team. It is about young polynesians respecting their own past. Intent is very relevant in regards to taunting or disrespecting.

Questions were raised on this forum regarding 'throat slashing' and 'taunting'. There is no basis for that arguement in the Haka. The thread begs the question, "is this taunting?" The answer is no.

Again. Welcome to the WAC, the only conference in the NCAA that has a Hawaiian school as one of its ORIGINAL members. Hawaii and its polynesian traditions were a part of the WAC long before 1988.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Welcome to the WAC, the only conference in the NCAA that has a Hawaiian school as one of its ORIGINAL members.

Wrong again. Here are the ORIGINAL members of the WAC:

Arizona, Arizona State, Brigham Young, New Mexico, Utah and Wyoming
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Big Dog SundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to behold SundayJam's Avatar

You're a freak, Johnny.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

You're a freak, Johnny.
    Why? Because I call you on your BS?
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ AG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the rough AG_jr's Avatar

Again. Welcome to the WAC, the only conference in the NCAA that has a Hawaiian school as one of its ORIGINAL members. Hawaii and its polynesian traditions were a part of the WAC long before 1988.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post

Wrong again. Here are the ORIGINAL members of the WAC:

Arizona, Arizona State, Brigham Young, New Mexico, Utah and Wyoming
    OWNED!!!

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

I wonder if Sunday Jam, or any of the Hawaiian players who dance this little jig, could tell me a little bit about King Kamehameha without looking it up? Or what year span did the Polynesians land in Hawaii?

Here in Louisiana, we have an understanding of honoring heritage. Even those who do not choose to participate are at least familiar with the Civil War reenactments and such. Those who use this method to honor their heritage are well versed in the history behind that heritage. That "misinformed quote of youthful exuberance" tells me the players are not adding culture to honor a heritage as much as doing a taunting dance and defending it as "honor."

Do these same players participate in other means to honor their heritage? I've been to Hawaii and I've seen ample means to participate in festivals of old. How many of these players are honoring their culture when it doesn't mean tv exposure?

If it really is about culture, it should be done with respect and class and there should be some knowledge of the dance's history with the players. Otherwise, you've mocked your ancestors. The mascot should be banned like all of the rest of the native american names.

Champ AG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the rough AG_jr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post
    I wonder if Sunday Jam, or any of the Hawaiian players who dance this little jig, could tell me a little bit about King Kamehameha without looking it up? Or what year span did the Polynesians land in Hawaii?

Here in Louisiana, we have an understanding of honoring heritage. Even those who do not choose to participate are at least familiar with the Civil War reenactments and such. Those who use this method to honor their heritage are well versed in the history behind that heritage. That "misinformed quote of youthful exuberance" tells me the players are not adding culture to honor a heritage as much as doing a taunting dance and defending it as "honor."

Do these same players participate in other means to honor their heritage? I've been to Hawaii and I've seen ample means to participate in festivals of old. How many of these players are honoring their culture when it doesn't mean tv exposure?

If it really is about culture, it should be done with respect and class and there should be some knowledge of the dance's history with the players. Otherwise, you've mocked your ancestors. The mascot should be banned like all of the rest of the native american names.
    OWNED...AGAIN!!!

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

If you watch the real deal performed by the All Blacks it would make you pee your pants. The two rugby teams stand facing each other in the middle of the field, and it is INTENSE.
    I just don't think watching two rugby teams peeing on their territory would make me pee in my pants.

The Tech Haka video was interesting as I watched four or five refs creating a loose separation between the two teams.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post
    The mascot should be banned
    i thought he had been banned or something like that because of stuff he did at a basketball game... sorry, i don't remember much, other than him getting in trouble big time over an incident.

Puppy BOPdawg is on top of his/her gameBOPdawg is on top of his/her gameBOPdawg is on top of his/her gameBOPdawg is on top of his/her gameBOPdawg is on top of his/her gameBOPdawg is on top of his/her gameBOPdawg is on top of his/her gameBOPdawg is on top of his/her gameBOPdawg is on top of his/her gameBOPdawg is on top of his/her gameBOPdawg is on top of his/her game

The Haka is a traditional call to battle. It is a challenge to your opponent.

The Haka that is performed is almost identical to that performed by the All Blacks rugby team of Fiji. Hawaii had to change it slightly to avoid possible copyright issues. It is traditional. It is polynesian. Since we are the University of Hawaii, we have polynesian traditions.

Now come on Sunjam, your ignorance is proving your stupidity! The ALL BLACKS are from New Zealand!!

All right...senator....McCarthy....

Hawaii is the only remaining member of the WAC after the rats jumped ship. Y'all asked to be invited to the WAC. Hawaii predates its membership in the WAC against every other current member.

Of course, abominable gorilla, I can tell you a lot more about Hawaiian history than most without looking it up.

You dawgs kin thread the eye of a needle more ways than I thought possible.

The WAC is our house. Polynesian tradition is intrinsic to a Hawaiian university.

ibid for the Fiji vs New Zealand thing. Maori. We don't have all the other fruity conference affiliations:

1909-1972 Independent
    1973-1977 Division I Independent
    1978-1978 Division I-A Independent
    1979-20XX Western Athletic Conference
    Last edited by SundayJam; 05-06-2007 at 01:12 AM.

Puppy Hkboy1313 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeHkboy1313 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeHkboy1313 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeHkboy1313 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeHkboy1313 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeHkboy1313 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeHkboy1313 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeHkboy1313 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeHkboy1313 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeHkboy1313 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeHkboy1313 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Quote Originally Posted by DONW View Post
    No way should anybody ever compare any sport to war. War was when those dirty coward Japs bombed Pearl Harbor and killed thousands of people.
    "Japs" is a racist term. It is the same as calling blacks n****rs. Many of the first Japanese Americans have a history similar to African Americans in that many came to the US as indentured servants (a nice term for slavery). You should think before you talk because there are Japanese Americans that you are insulting as well. "Japs" also made up the US 442nd Regiment and 100th Batallion during the same war, the highest declorated US military unit in America's History. It is racist like you that put many Japanese Americans into internment camps during WWII, losing their freedom and property, even though there were no incidents of betrayl. "Japs" who make up a lot of Hawaii's population lost a lot of friends and family in the bombing of Pearl Harbor as well.

Comparing sports to war should not be taken literally. It is just saying that you should go into it with full intensity. Anyone who has played sports know it is just a game but if you want to win you should play with intensity. Maybe you don't know what a metaphor is.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hkboy1313 View Post
    "Japs" is a racist term. It is the same as calling blacks n****rs. Many of the first Japanese Americans have a history similar to African Americans in that many came to the US as indentured servants (a nice term for slavery). You should think before you talk because there are Japanese Americans that you are insulting as well. "Japs" also made up the US 442nd Regiment and 100th Batallion during the same war, the highest declorated US military unit in America's History. It is racist like you that put many Japanese Americans into internment camps during WWII, losing their freedom and property, even though there were no incidents of betrayl. "Japs" who make up a lot of Hawaii's population lost a lot of friends and family in the bombing of Pearl Harbor as well.

Comparing sports to war should not be taken literally. It is just saying that you should go into it with full intensity. Anyone who has played sports know it is just a game but if you want to win you should play with intensity. Maybe you don't know what a metaphor is.
    Out of curiousity, why is "Jap" a racist term?
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

+ Reply to Thread