+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: "Haka" just pregame taunting?

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Re: "Haka" just pregame taunting?

Quote Originally Posted by SundayJam View Post
    BigDog13,

Heck, we got penalized at La Tech for performing the Haka just outside the lockerroom. It didn't matter where or how the Haka was performed. The players who brought this tradition to the Hawaii team wanted it to be authentic. Traditionally, the Haka is performed FACING the opponent. Just watch one of the many All Blacks Haka footage on youtube.

Duckbill,

The sport where the Haka has really taken hold is rugby. Maori's, Tongans, and others have their own versions of it. The latest evolution for Hawaii is a Hawaiian version. Like the other teams in Polynesia, the tailored version has more meaning to our team.

The All Blacks version is still performed by the team, and it's still super cool.
    The Haka/Ha'a is a taunt, and the NCAA has said that (taunting) can not do that towards any team - period. I have no problem with it, but rules are rules, and you can't whine when you get penalized, knowing that you will be penalized for doing it towards anyone on the team...

And I understand the "customizing" of it, but really, throat slashing is not symbolic of anything but death, and also another thing the NCAA has said can not be done.

There are ways to do it where it is still meaningful to the team and fans, but still within rules of the NCAA and "acceptable" by other teams fans.

Champ Poisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the rough Poisso3's Avatar
    Ellisville, MO (30 miles West of St. Louis)

Rus, why did you have to bring up facts?

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Poisso3 View Post
    Rus, why did you have to bring up facts?
    Because then maybe this would stop... I don't like things that go back and forth when there is truly only ONE correct answer that is backed up by history and facts. Rules are rules, and they don't hinder any national or cultural pride. Do it within the rules, and NO ONE can complain, and they won't get penalized (and continue to complain). They aren't being oppressed or anything else... it is what it is, and the rules say NO.

But it is fun to watch the exchange sometimes... makes me wish I had some popcorn. Usually entertaining, old school like...

Champ Poisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the rough Poisso3's Avatar
    Ellisville, MO (30 miles West of St. Louis)

Dude, I agree, just being a little facetious with that post.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

BigDog13,

Heck, we got penalized at La Tech for performing the Haka just outside the lockerroom. It didn't matter where or how the Haka was performed. The players who brought this tradition to the Hawaii team wanted it to be authentic. Traditionally, the Haka is performed FACING the opponent. Just watch one of the many All Blacks Haka footage on youtube.

Duckbill,

The sport where the Haka has really taken hold is rugby. Maori's, Tongans, and others have their own versions of it. The latest evolution for Hawaii is a Hawaiian version. Like the other teams in Polynesia, the tailored version has more meaning to our team.

The All Blacks version is still performed by the team, and it's still super cool.
    I know it is traditionally done facing the opponent but you aren't the All-Blacks and this isn't rugby. If it is your own version then do it on the sidelines, off the field, facing your fans. I don't have a problem with it because I grew up with a lot of Tongans and a few Samoans going to school with me, but I can understand how someone not familiar with that culture could get upset. I mean come on, a throat slash is a throat slash. You can call a dog a cat but it doesn't matter what you call it, it is still a dog.

Big Dog SundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to behold SundayJam's Avatar

Hey there, Rusla. I enjoyed the exchanges on the Hawaii board. Sorry you guys didn't make it against Nevada today.

Well, thus far, only the Techies saw fit to complain about the Haka in all of college football. We've been doing both versions since, and everyone seems fine with it. Yeah, rules is rules, but this one is a little grey area. The media seems to enjoy it as well.

If lord Dooley says it's a taunt and a throat slash, he must be right...no?

We know better, though don't we.

Aloha.

Hey there, Rusla. I enjoyed the exchanges on the Hawaii board. Sorry you guys didn't make it against Nevada today.

Well, thus far, only the Techies saw fit to complain about the Haka in all of college football. We've been doing both versions since, and everyone seems fine with it. Yeah, rules is rules, but this one is a little grey area. The media seems to enjoy it as well.

Aloha.
    Well, it wasn't my call, it was his... Otherwise, I would have let y'all do it, if y'all would abide by my request to do it at a certain time and place. Basically, before the game, when no Tech player is on the field (and I would make sure to have everyone in so it could be done), and it not being directed towards our fans...

I know there is a reasonable way for it to be done where both sides could be happy, and there not be a penalty or anything...

Hey SJ, what's the address to the Hawaii board... I've switched to my dad's computer and lost the address.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Aloha.
    Hey, did you ever think Dooley could care less about the Haka but he tried to get 15 yards and it worked without much trouble. He's just playin' the game SJ. Just playin' the game.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Hate the game not the playa.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Big Dog SundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to behold SundayJam's Avatar

Ahhh...in the big scheme of things...what the heck does a Haka matter anyway? If we lose 'cause of a penalty...or two...we deserve to lose.

Rusla, the address is : http://sportshawaii.com/hs/index.php

It's usually a pretty mellow board. For instance, they don't have a 'Flamers Paradise'. If things get out of hand, a thread is usually just locked...after fair warning. There are regular posters from all over the country; not just Hawaii Warrior fans.

Looks like were playing Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.

Big Dog SkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the rough

The Rainbows may want to rethink the ButtPirate dance before the Sugar Bowl - I think you will need every yard you can get against Georgia - no sense in giving them 15 before the game starts!

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterDawg View Post
    The Rainbows may want to rethink the ButtPirate dance before the Sugar Bowl - I think you will need every yard you can get against Georgia - no sense in giving them 15 before the game starts!
    The La Tech game was the only assessed Haka penalty in NCAA history. It won't happen again.

+ Reply to Thread