+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: "Haka" just pregame taunting?

Puppy Hkboy1313 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeHkboy1313 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeHkboy1313 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeHkboy1313 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeHkboy1313 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeHkboy1313 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeHkboy1313 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeHkboy1313 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeHkboy1313 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeHkboy1313 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeHkboy1313 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Re: "Haka" just pregame taunting?

Same reason why it is that calling a black the N word, Chinese a "chink", White a "cracker", etc... the reason is that it is a derogatory term with racial undertones, that has a history of racial intolerance.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hkboy1313 View Post
    Same reason why it is that calling a black the N word, Chinese a "chink", White a "cracker", etc... the reason is that it is a derogatory term with racial undertones, that has a history of racial intolerance.
    It seems like the obvious shorthand for "Japanese." It is not like the word was created for derogatory purposes. It is stupid to stop using a word under such circumstances just because some people decided that they were offended by its use. As I understand it, "Jap" was a commonly used term for the Japanese during WWII, so it might have taken on a negative connotation at that time. I am pretty sure it is still widely used in Australia and no one takes offense to it there. A term like "rice-eater" or "cracker" was clearly concocted for derogatory purposes. It is a LITTLE more understandable to be PC about those kind of words.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Isn't "Jap" short for "Japanese?" I think the difference between this and other words are that African American's are not N's (nor the other examples, etc). But Japanese people ARE Japanese. Do we have anyone of Japanese origins on the board? I'm curious if this is really seen as a racial slur.

I don't think the word itself implies any racial undertones. It is just a verbal abbreviation. I could be wrong though. If it were a racial slur, I would stop using it in the event that I had used it in the first place.

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree such slang is uncalled for, but there is a ever decreasing group of men and women who can call the Japanesse whatever they want to. One of the pluses I had moving to Louisiana was that my dad's best friend in Baton Rouge was a suvivor of the Bataan Death March and subsequently freed by the Great Raid. That man, till the day he died over fifty years later, lived with the physical and mental pain caused by the Japanesse.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

"Japs" is a racist term. It is the same as calling blacks n****rs. Many of the first Japanese Americans have a history similar to African Americans in that many came to the US as indentured servants (a nice term for slavery). You should think before you talk because there are Japanese Americans that you are insulting as well. "Japs" also made up the US 442nd Regiment and 100th Batallion during the same war, the highest declorated US military unit in America's History. It is racist like you that put many Japanese Americans into internment camps during WWII, losing their freedom and property, even though there were no incidents of betrayl. "Japs" who make up a lot of Hawaii's population lost a lot of friends and family in the bombing of Pearl Harbor as well.
    Seriously is it going to go back into calling us racist for interning Japanese Americans? The government has issued an apology. It isn't like this is a specific example. American History always has us freaked out about something. Slavery, Japanese internment, McCarthyism. We were afraid Africans would change our culture. We were afraid some Japanese Americans were spies. We were afraid of communist spies. It was all wrong. It might have been racist then but now we have a better view of how the American public (and government) views threats.

BTW the point I am making is this generalization fear you are portraying is the only real racism that has ever existed. Admit groups made mistakes in the past but holding it over their head like that does nothing to fix previous mistakes and only leads you to a slippery slope where you will repeat previous mistakes. And that is historically proven.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post
    Isn't "Jap" short for "Japanese?" I think the difference between this and other words are that African American's are not N's (nor the other examples, etc). But Japanese people ARE Japanese. Do we have anyone of Japanese origins on the board? I'm curious if this is really seen as a racial slur.

I don't think the word itself implies any racial undertones. It is just a verbal abbreviation. I could be wrong though. If it were a racial slur, I would stop using it in the event that I had used it in the first place.
    It actually is because all our propaganda during the war targeted the "Japs." Japanese people consider that more of a racial slur today for that reason than "Nip."

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Juice752 View Post
    It actually is because all our propaganda during the war targeted the "Japs." Japanese people consider that more of a racial slur today for that reason than "Nip."
    You are right.
    I'm not Japanese but it is a racial slur to japanese american.

Just to let you guys know, never say "ching chong ching chong" to an Asian person...we hate that.

Champ 9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough 9701Dawg's Avatar

Do British people dislike being called Brits?

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post

Just to let you guys know, never say "ching chong ching chong" to an Asian person...we hate that.
    That should go without saying.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Puppy Hkboy1313 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeHkboy1313 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeHkboy1313 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeHkboy1313 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeHkboy1313 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeHkboy1313 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeHkboy1313 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeHkboy1313 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeHkboy1313 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeHkboy1313 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeHkboy1313 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post

I am half Japanese and I do find the use of the word "Jap" or "Nip" offensive. It is not simply an abbreviation. The word "Jap" is a racial slur and should not be compared to simply calling a BRit for example...because it does have a derogatory connotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice752 View Post
    Seriously is it going to go back into calling us racist for interning Japanese Americans? The government has issued an apology. It isn't like this is a specific example. American History always has us freaked out about something. Slavery, Japanese internment, McCarthyism. We were afraid Africans would change our culture. We were afraid some Japanese Americans were spies. We were afraid of communist spies. It was all wrong. It might have been racist then but now we have a better view of how the American public (and government) views threats.

BTW the point I am making is this generalization fear you are portraying is the only real racism that has ever existed. Admit groups made mistakes in the past but holding it over their head like that does nothing to fix previous mistakes and only leads you to a slippery slope where you will repeat previous mistakes. And that is historically proven.

I'm not one who believes everything should be politically correct. I myself am American of mixed ethnicities. (including english, swedish, hawaiian, japanese, russian, etc.) I'm not holding anything over your head and if you have truely learned from your past stop making excuses for people who use racial slurs.

By the way America did appologise to the Japanese Americans but would you except an apology that separated your family?Since you are an expert on history did the governement ever fully repay those who lost their land or businesses? What about those who died in internment camps? I'm not saying I am holding anyone accountable. I don't live my life in the past but I still have the right to voice my opinion when I feel someone is making a racist comment in the present

Big Dog SundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to behold SundayJam's Avatar

You Bayou people don't get out much do you? The Haka is not' just pre-game taunting', and 'Jap' is considered a derogatory term for my brothers by most of the civilized world.

The following link is an example of how worldly people react to the performance of the Haka:

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...705070355.html

"Hawai'i's traditional pregame haka was a popular topic over the past three days. Satele said he, Esera and Mauia expect to perform the dance for their new teammates possibly as soon as the next mini-camp in June.

"Whatever the veterans want us to do," Satele said."

I'm not one who believes everything should be politically correct. I myself a mix of ethnicities. (including english, swedish, hawaiian, japanese, russian, etc.) I'm not hoolding anything over your head and if you have truely learned from your past stop making excuses for people who use racial slurs.

By the way America did appologise to the Japanese Americans but would you except an apology that separated your family? Did the governement ever fully repay those who lost their land or businesses? What about those who died in internment camps? I'm not saying I am holding anyone accountable. I don't live my life in the past but I still have the right to voice my opinion when I feel someone is making a racist comment.
    Did the government fully repay those who lost their land and business? Yes. The court case Korematsu v. US was not overturned last I heard (so the scary thing is interment camps are techincally still legal) but the government paid dues to those who had injustices committed against them. Korematsu himself was even given some award (I forgot which one) from President Clinton in honor of all those that died due to Japanese internment camps. Take a history lesson.

I find it offensive that you use generalized fear to target us because of a mistake in American history. Grow up. That is the problem with racial stuff. Some people (including many whites) will not learn that a word cannot be racist. The way it is used is racist. "Jap" was used in a racist way in the past. Just like the N word was. But it is still only a racial phrase today if there is no intent behind it. The word "you" on the other had is not a racial word but can be even more racist than anything else. To sum that up a racial slur is bad but some of the comments you have made are far worse than racial slurs because you are the only one actually being racist.

Champ AG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the rough AG_jr's Avatar

I'm not one who believes everything should be politically correct. I myself a mix of ethnicities. (including english, swedish, hawaiian, japanese, russian, etc.) I'm not hoolding anything over your head and if you have truely learned from your past stop making excuses for people who use racial slurs.

By the way America did appologise to the Japanese Americans but would you except an apology that separated your family? Did the governement ever fully repay those who lost their land or businesses? What about those who died in internment camps? I'm not saying I am holding anyone accountable. I don't live my life in the past but I still have the right to voice my opinion when I feel someone is making a racist comment.
    1)You and just about everyone else that lives in america are very racially mixed, bud.
    2)Nobody is making excuses for anybody using racial slurs, just offering an opinion on the matter.
    3)Just by bringing it up and using the generalization of "you", you ARE holding us accountable
    4)You say you don't live in the past, yet you have brought up something done by an administration 60+ years ago during a time that most on this board weren't old enough to know what was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by AG_jr View Post
    1)You and just about everyone else that lives in america are very racially mixed, bud.
    2)Nobody is making excuses for anybody using racial slurs, just offering an opinion on the matter.
    3)Just by bringing it up and using the generalization of "you", you ARE holding us accountable
    4)You say you don't live in the past, yet you have brought up something done by an administration 60+ years ago during a time that most on this board weren't old enough to know what was going on.
    I brought up the past because I was sharing why the term "Jap" is racist. I brought up my ethnicity because someone asked if there was anyone of Japanese ancestory if they would find it offensive. I'm simply saying I find the word Jap offensive same way that I would find it offensive if someone called me a Cracker or Honkie.

+ Reply to Thread