+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GPS

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

GPS

I've read all the reviews I can find on the net about the DeLorme PN-20 and am very much inclined to order one. Any DAWGS have any experience with this device ?? Care to "share" ??

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

Re: GPS

I once had a small compass to stick on the dashboard but it didn't work.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nadB View Post
    I've read all the reviews I can find on the net about the DeLorme PN-20 and am very much inclined to order one. Any DAWGS have any experience with this device ?? Care to "share" ??
    I don't need a GPS...I use the stars to guide me where i'm going...just kidding.

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

what are you gonna be using it for? I know so many folks that pay more than they really need to in order just to get pretty colors on a screen.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Choudawg86 View Post
    what are you gonna be using it for? I know so many folks that pay more than they really need to in order just to get pretty colors on a screen.
    Other than the fact that it'll be a new toy I can play with,

there are some timber tracts that have been in our immediate family for quite some number of years; same on the wife's side of the family. I know where some of the corners are, but have never walked the lines. I think I'd like to do that.

I'm impressed by DeLorme's maps offerings. USGS 7.5 minute quads, DeLorme TOPO USA software w/street & topo maps, DOQQ aerial imagery, satellite imagery, the regional routable maps, and, o.c. their world vector base map (in case I really get lost and end up in another country or something).

I was planning to get a Garmin 60CSx but am trying to change my mind ??

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Other than the fact that it'll be a new toy I can play with,

there are some timber tracts that have been in our immediate family for quite some number of years; same on the wife's side of the family. I know where some of the corners are, but have never walked the lines. I think I'd like to do that.

I'm impressed by DeLorme's maps offerings. USGS 7.5 minute quads, DeLorme TOPO USA software w/street & topo maps, DOQQ aerial imagery, satellite imagery, the regional routable maps, and, o.c. their world vector base map (in case I really get lost and end up in another country or something).

I was planning to get a Garmin 60CSx but am trying to change my mind ??
    There is an instructor at tech that teaches a class on gps units. I wish i could think of the fellas name but it i cant rememeber, old age is setting in. A co'worker has had the class and tells me that the $100 ones are have the same capabilites as the $400. The only difference being the bells and whistles that you pay to much for. As far as "running a property line", its not gonna happen with one of these hand helds. now you can be in the general area, general meaning 20'-40' but i dont think thats what you had in mind.

theres two sites i like to use to get my lat and longs on. The "google earth" is great and i also use www.topozone.com

............. As far as "running a property line", its not gonna happen with one of these hand helds. now you can be in the general area, general meaning 20'-40' but i dont think thats what you had in mind.
    Actually, that's exactly what I had in mind. 20'-40' off one side or the other thru dense, sometimes very swampy, certainly rough and obstructed terrain is no doubt much better than what I'd get with Aub's broken compass (I could be hundreds and hundreds of feet off and have no clue). GO WAAS ! ! ! ! I'm not looking to "run" the lines but rather to pretty much walk them and find the corners. Most of what I'm talking about was surveyed and the corners marked some (quite a few) years ago, but the corners are kinda rough going to get to, particularly after a couple of tornadoes blew thru in fairly recent years.

Many Thamks for the input and advice ! ! !

Now back to orig Q ?? Any dawgs actually used a DeLorme PN-20 ??

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Nad, me and Choudawg will walk those lines and mark 'em for you. Choudawg can carry the GPS while I carry the gun. Will you trade hunting rights for a surveying job?

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Nad, me and Choudawg will walk those lines and mark 'em for you. Choudawg can carry the GPS while I carry the gun. Will you trade hunting rights for a surveying job?
    Well, dang, Mad, I never knew there might be a deal like that hanging out there just for the taking. And to think, I've only been getting money for those hunting rights all these years.

Silly me.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Money isn't everything. Think of the future value of having a professional suveyor like Choudawg and a fine hunter like myself to watch over your property while "managing" your deer herd and turkey flock.

Chou, I'll see if I can find somebody to tote the chains for us.

Well, dang, Mad, I never knew there might be a deal like that hanging out there just for the taking. And to think, I've only been getting money for those hunting rights all these years.

Silly me.

I need some lats and longs for this property mad and myself are about to do a turkey count on . .er . . . i mean . . . survey.

I need some lats and longs for this property mad and myself are about to do a turkey count on . .er . . . i mean . . . survey.
    Sorry, fellows, all hunting rights are leased out thru June 30 of this year, and there's already a hope (waiting) list for next year (and, ad infinitum) .....................

Maddawg, I suppose you'll have to stick to collecting roadkill for the time being ??

Big Dog SkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the rough

I don't have any experience with DeLorme products, but I use Garmin Map76 at work. It works wonderfully especially if you want to download, or up load from GIS software. A good unit, but maybe a little pricey for you.

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterDawg View Post
    ................... A good unit, but maybe a little pricey for you.
    Now, this is one funny post ! ! ! !

I LOVE this post ! ! ! ! !

Everyone, pls send contributions to pauper nadB c/o DFM.

TIA ! ! ! !

+ Reply to Thread