+ Reply to Thread
Page 119 of 243 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129169219 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,785 of 3635

Thread: Immigration

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Re: Immigration

Quote Originally Posted by atobulldog View Post
    I do not think it is a contradiction in conservatism as opposed to your straw man of conservatism. I like to think of it of a trust but verify type situation.

"It is not certain that with this aid alone [possession of arms], they would not be able to shake off their yokes. But were the people to posses the additional advantages of local governments chosen by themselves, who could collect the national will, and direct the national force; and of officers appointed out of the militia, by these governments and attached both to them and to the militia, it may be affirmed with the greatest assurance, that the throne of every tyranny in Europe would be speedily overturned, in spite of the legions which surround it." James Madison, Federalist 46

If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no recourse left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government, and which against the usurpations of the national rulers may be exerted with infinitely better prospect of success than against those of the rulers of an individual State. In a single State, if the persons entrusted with supreme power become usurpers, the different parcels, subdivisions, or districts of which it consists, having no distinct government in each, can take no regular measures for defense. The citizens must rush tumultuously to arms, without concert, without system, without resource; except in their courage and despair. Alexander Hamilton,Federalist No. 28

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States. A military force, at the command of Congress, can execute no laws, but such as the people perceive to be just and constitutional; for they will possess the power, and jealousy will instantly inspire the inclination, to resist the execution of a law which appears to them unjust and oppressive." Noah Webster, An Examination of the Leading Principles of the Federal Constitution (Philadelphia 1787).

"What, Sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty .... Whenever Governments mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins."
    -- Rep. Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts, spoken during floor debate over the Second Amendment, I Annals of Congress at 750, August 17, 1789

"Certainly one of the chief guarantees of freedom under any government, no matter how popular and respected, is the right of citizens to keep and bear arms ... The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard, against the tyranny which now appears remote in America but which historically has proven to be always possible."
    -- Hubert H. Humphrey, Senator, Vice President, 22 October 1959

"The militia is the natural defense of a free country against sudden foreign invasions, domestic insurrections, and domestic usurpation of power by rulers. The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of the republic; since it offers a strong moral check against the usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers; and will generally ... enable the people to resist and triumph over them."
    -- Joseph Story, Supreme Court Justice, Commentaries on the Constitution of the United States, p. 3:746-7, 1833

"The right [to bear arms] is general. It may be supposed from the phraseology of this provision that the right to keep and bear arms was only guaranteed to the militia; but this would be an interpretation not warranted by the intent. The militia, as has been explained elsewhere, consists of those persons who, under the laws, are liable to the performance of military duty, and are officered and enrolled for service when called upon.... [I]f the right were limited to those enrolled, the purpose of the guarantee might be defeated altogether by the action or the neglect to act of the government it was meant to hold in check. The meaning of the provision undoubtedly is, that the people, from whom the militia must be taken, shall have the right to keep and bear arms, and they need no permission or regulation of law for the purpose. But this enables the government to have a well regulated militia; for to bear arms implies something more than mere keeping; it implies the learning to handle and use them in a way that makes those who keep them ready for their efficient use; in other words, it implies the right to meet for voluntary discipline in arms, observing in so doing the laws of public order."
    -- Thomas M. Cooley, General Principles of Constitutional Law, Third Edition [1898]
    And I also want to thank you for the setup for talking about another one of the paradoxes of Trumpism (and Ray is probably the guiltiest one of this one). Populism/anti-elitism. What you have just done is made an argument founded on elitism. You have cited some founders and some other scholar/experts to prove a point. Are you sure you want to be pro-elitism? Trump argues against the elitists all the time. Not sure if he realizes that the founders that wrote our founding documents were all just that!

Champ atobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to all atobulldog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    And I also want to thank you for the setup for talking about another one of the paradoxes of Trumpism (and Ray is probably the guiltiest one of this one). Populism/anti-elitism. What you have just done is made an argument founded on elitism. You have cited some founders and some other scholar/experts to prove a point. Are you sure you want to be pro-elitism? Trump argues against the elitists all the time. Not sure if he realizes that the founders that wrote our founding documents were all just that!
    Look, we get it, you HATE Trump. It really doesn't have to consume your every thought and argument. I still don't see how having an armed populace as a safeguard against possible tyranny is a contradiction of conservatism. I can see how you straw man conservatism to make it seem that way, but I fail to see an honest position.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Look, we get it, you HATE Trump. It really doesn't have to consume your every thought and argument. I still don't see how having an armed populace as a safeguard against possible tyranny is a contradiction of conservatism. I can see how you straw man conservatism to make it seem that way, but I fail to see an honest position.
    How is the 2nd amendment going to help you against the US military? Do you think you stand a chance? We didn’t have a standing army and the decisive advantage a trained army has over civilians was probably unimaginable at that time. If the US government decided to come after you and your friends, would you really give yourself a fighting chance?

Again, the paradox is supporting the second amendment WHILE supporting an elite army. Either position makes sense by itself, but together, they are kind of funny in that it takes quite a bit of cognitive dissonance to argue for them both at the same time.

Champ atobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to all atobulldog's Avatar

I love the assumption that once you work for the government, you will be in lock step with their every move, even into despotic measures.

Quick question for you, was Col. Jessup wrong for ordering a "Code Red?"
    Are you saying the military/police are all mindless drones that will follow any order?
    See previous posts

See previous posts
    If so, why do you need the 2nd amendment if you can trust the governments forces not to violate your rights?

Thank you for attempting to engage in actual conversation, I see that you have no real interest other than sticking directly to your shtick. I've given answers, you don't care what they actually say. You use Trump as diversionary tactic when he has no bearing on the discussion except for your crutch. Sorry Gussy, I've grown tired of you at least for the day. I will leave you to building straw men.

Parting question that you will ignore: You love to ask how to trust the all-powerful government to not violate our rights, but given the recent quotes I supplied, why didn't the founders trust the government enough to disarm the populace. Good day sir.

Thank you for attempting to engage in actual conversation, I see that you have no real interest other than sticking directly to your shtick. I've given answers, you don't care what they actually say. You use Trump as diversionary tactic when he has no bearing on the discussion except for your crutch. Sorry Gussy, I've grown tired of you at least for the day. I will leave you to building straw men.

Parting question that you will ignore: You love to ask how to trust the all-powerful government to not violate our rights, but given the recent quotes I supplied, why didn't the founders trust the government enough to disarm the populace. Good day sir.
    An appeal to elitism and a refusal to answer the question I asked.

Do you think the framers would have supported a military of the statute that the US has built?

And if you trust such a strong military not to violate your constitutional rights, why is a second amendment necessary?

As I have said and you don’t want to think about - either a strong military or a strong 2nd amendment makes sense. Supporting both is the contradiction in logic.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

We should be willing to give up our guns because we only need them for hunting now.

- They are more likely to cause a family member death than prevent an intruder from breaking in.

- Eventually there will be no need for anything other than a single shot shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    We should be willing to give up our guns because we only need them for hunting now.

- They are more likely to cause a family member death than prevent an intruder from breaking in.

- Eventually there will be no need for anything other than a single shot shotgun.
    You can’t reconcile a strong military with the reason for the second amendment either, can you?

If you are concerned with having rights for guns to protect yourself from a government, why do you also support making the government so strong?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

You can’t reconcile a strong military with the reason for the second amendment either, can you?

If you are concerned with having rights for guns to protect yourself from a government, why do you also support making the government so strong?
    Yeah, I've been observing your new talking point.

The 2nd amendment is condensed in my mind (and most others using logic) to "keep and bear arms" and I'm sure you've read this http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=255. You are taking up another liberal anti gun talking point that has been around for years. It's really a stale argument.

Yeah, I've been observing your new talking point.

The 2nd amendment is condensed in my mind (and most others using logic) to "keep and bear arms" and I'm sure you've read this http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=255. You are taking up another liberal anti gun talking point that has been around for years. It's really a stale argument.
    I am not arguing against the 2nd amendment and I am well aware of its purpose. It has nothing to do with hunting, collecting, defense against a gang of thugs.

What I am saying is that promoting a strong military guts the 2nd amendment’s ability to serve its purpose. Supporting the strengthening of our military tilts the power to the central government more than any restriction on firearms that any leftist has EVER proposed.

But if you believe the government’s military can be trusted with not violating your rights, then that guts the need of the 2nd amendment.

That is a modern-day conservative paradox. There is cognitive dissonance involved in believing both are important.

That is a modern-day conservative paradox. There is cognitive dissonance involved in believing both are important.
    No, because this is not what logical conservatives believe. It's what you perceive them to believe.

Your logic still has us with the right to own a musket.

No, because this is not what logical conservatives believe. It's what you perceive them to believe.

Your logic still has us with the right to own a musket.
    You still can’t reconcile the conflicting conservative beliefs of a strong, government-run military with a need to have guns to defeat said military should the government ever decide to use the military to threaten your rights.

If you make the military strong enough, which we already have, the second amendment can not serve as a check on tyranny.

Furthermore if you have a strong standing army that is maintained even in times of peace (something many of the framers did oppose, especially George Mason), that also obviates the need of the citizens to be able to take up arms to defend the nation from an external threat.

So I am not asking you to defend the second amendment, I am asking you to defend your desire for a STRONG MILITARY in view of your belief in the need of the second amendment.

Yeah, I know where you are trying to go, but you are making the wrong assumption that all conservatives believe the 2nd amendment is ALL about a well regulated militia. I addressed that in my first post toward your new liberal talking point.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I, for one, believe the military would side with we conservatives....if push came to shove. Hopefully, it'll never come to that, of course.

But beside that...yes! an armed populace is a deterrent to a tyrannical guvmint. You continue to make the mistaken assumptions that it would remain our high-tech, super duper military vs. armed citizens with semi-automatic rifles, etc.. Wrong! Not only would most of the military join us, as I mentioned, but we armed citizens would capture, steal, acquire, etc...the latest in equipment in a short time. This has been shown again and again around the world.

Heck!! several years ago a brave group of villagers stood up to mooslim terrorist thugs looking to kidnap young women and girls, and slaughter everyone else. They did so initially with muzzle loader muskets. Yes, the .58 caliber Enfield Rifle was their only firearm, that and machetes and bows & arrows. They ambushed the mooslim thugs and captured some AK-47s. When the terrorists returned with more thugs, they faced a combination of older rifles, and the AK-47s. It was another victory for the villagers, and resulted in more captured AK-47s. Eventually, after yet another attack, the villagers followed the mooslim terrorists back to their base. They launched their own surprise attack and wiped out the terrorists! Complete and total victory.

Goosey would have counseled those villagers to just submit to the tyranny. Never mind they would have all been either murdered or sold into sexual slavery. Nah! Goosey would have told them "you're more likely to shoot yourself with your old rifle, and you have no chance against the earnest, righteous and heavily armed mooslim fellows anyway." Just submit.

Thankfully those villagers had a different view of the situation. As do we....

+ Reply to Thread