+ Reply to Thread
Page 131 of 243 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141181231 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,965 of 3635

Thread: Immigration

Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar

Re: Immigration

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Flores says you can’t detain children for longer than 20 days. If you detain them with their parents, it takes longer than 20 days to adjudicate the parents in the criminal proceeding. Obama already ran into the problem in 2014 and that is why they used their discretion not to criminally prosecute the parents with kids for misdemeanors and instead divert them to civil deportation proceedings.
    Which they mostly ignore. Nope, nothing broken here.

I think this is something the parents have done to their kids, not something we have done to them. Maybe we can just put them in foster homes until their parents are done with their criminal proceedings. Then we can reunite them back across the border or, if the parents do gain asylum, reunite them here.

Somehow we have to spread the word to not make this trek expecting to be waved into the country.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DawgyNWindow View Post
    Which they mostly ignore. Nope, nothing broken here.

I think this is something the parents have done to their kids, not something we have done to them. Maybe we can just put them in foster homes until their parents are done with their criminal proceedings. Then we can reunite them back across the border or, if the parents do gain asylum, reunite them here.

Somehow we have to spread the word to not make this trek expecting to be waved into the country.
    They are making this trek because of the danger they face in their home countries. You would probably make the same decision in their shoes. I don’t believe you would stay if you thought your kids were in danger of being killed.

These parents are committing a misdemeanor. It is quite harsh to not let them be with their kids after such a minor offense.

Putting an ankle bracelet on the parents and requiring them to show up to court for civil deportation proceedings is not “waving them in”, but it makes sure that they have due process and their asylum claim can be fairly heard.

Btw, for immigrant families that have legal counsel, 98% show up for their court date.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

By Dan Cadman

Really, the questions we're left with are twofold:
    • First, when, exactly, do we begin to hold Mexico's feet to the fire on its own international treaty obligations where human rights, refuge, and asylum are concerned, rather than always presuming it's our burden to carry?
    • Second, at what point, through lenient and shortsighted policies such as waving aliens through ports of entry and into the United States simply because they utter magic incantations, will we begin to experience another Jimmy Carter/Angela Merkel mass migration episode?
    We're still experiencing the disastrous effects of the tidal wave of humans who began illegally flooding across our southern borders in 2014 due to the misguided policies of the previous administration. Why needlessly shift that flood to the ports of entry through ill-thought-out asylum policies that encourage an ever greater flow?

Dan Cadman

Fellow

Dan Cadman is a retired INS / ICE official with thirty years of government experience. Mr. Cadman served as a senior supervisor and manager at headquarters, as well as at field offices both domestically and abroad. Within the immigration law enforcement field, Mr. Cadman's knowledge and experience encompass, among other things, criminal aliens, employer sanctions, and national security and terrorism matters.

Champ atobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to all atobulldog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Btw, for immigrant families that have legal counsel, 98% show up for their court date.
    I don't necessarily doubt your claim here although you provide no source, but I am curious about the attendance percentage for immigrant families without legal counsel. I do not contend it is a majority of immigrants, just curious since you provided the stats with the caveat.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

And BTW, who pays for this "legal counsel?"

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    And BTW, who pays for this "legal counsel?"
    I’m sure it’s pro bono, since these bleeding hearts are so concerned.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    A lot of it is pro bono.

Quote Originally Posted by atobulldog View Post
    I don't necessarily doubt your claim here although you provide no source, but I am curious about the attendance percentage for immigrant families without legal counsel. I do not contend it is a majority of immigrants, just curious since you provided the stats with the caveat.
    I think it is like 67% show up in total. But many of those that “no-show” their hearing have rulings in abstentia against them and then ICE gets them and deports them. Failure to show, in itself, doesn’t protect them.

The two main reasons for the discrepancy in how many show up in the cases of those that are represented and those that are not is (1) lack of understanding of the process, and (2) mailing notices to wrong addresses because in some cases it can take awhile to schedule hearings as some courts are backlogged.

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    By Dan Cadman

Really, the questions we're left with are twofold:
    • First, when, exactly, do we begin to hold Mexico's feet to the fire on its own international treaty obligations where human rights, refuge, and asylum are concerned, rather than always presuming it's our burden to carry?
    • Second, at what point, through lenient and shortsighted policies such as waving aliens through ports of entry and into the United States simply because they utter magic incantations, will we begin to experience another Jimmy Carter/Angela Merkel mass migration episode?
    We're still experiencing the disastrous effects of the tidal wave of humans who began illegally flooding across our southern borders in 2014 due to the misguided policies of the previous administration. Why needlessly shift that flood to the ports of entry through ill-thought-out asylum policies that encourage an ever greater flow?

Dan Cadman

Fellow

Dan Cadman is a retired INS / ICE official with thirty years of government experience. Mr. Cadman served as a senior supervisor and manager at headquarters, as well as at field offices both domestically and abroad. Within the immigration law enforcement field, Mr. Cadman's knowledge and experience encompass, among other things, criminal aliens, employer sanctions, and national security and terrorism matters.
    Mexico, itself, interdicts over 100,000 of these refugees every year from Central America. Not surprisingly, the exact number has dropped from 170,000ish to closer to 100,000ish over the period of time that Trump has insulted Mexico.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Don’t call anti-immigration conservativism...it ain’t. Especially when we’re talking about asylum seekers. Trumpism is not conservatism (its big spending populism) and populism is not conservatism...no matter how often the new populists on Fox News (and the long time populists on Brietbart) say it is.
    Last edited by johnnylightnin; 06-24-2018 at 03:47 PM.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Obama/Hillary/Pelosi etc that wanted as many as possible in the USA to commit terrorist acts.
    I'm sure that's the reason …

Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Don’t call anti-immigration conservativism...it ain’t. Especially when we’re talking about asylum seekers. Trumpism is not conservatism (its big spending populism) and populism is not conservism...no matter how often the new populists on Fox News (and the long time populists on Brietbart) day it is.
    Don't call "anti illegal immigration" anti-immigration. Not the same thing at all.

I wish it were easier to immigrate here from all areas of the globe, but I do not want an open border that just allows everyone to enter. I do not support sanctuary cities/states, either. But that does not make me anti immigrant.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Don't call "anti illegal immigration" anti-immigration. Not the same thing at all.

I wish it were easier to immigrate here from all areas of the globe, but I do not want an open border that just allows everyone to enter. I do not support sanctuary cities/states, either. But that does not make me anti immigrant.
    In the context, he was speaking of asylum seekers. That's not illegal immigration.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

That's fair, but works both ways.

Asylum seekers are entering legally, but have been subjected to some of the the same things at issue here.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Hhmmm, just watching the coverage of the meeting at the shelter in McAllen, Texas. It doesn’t look like Shawshank to me.

+ Reply to Thread