+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How soon before there will be

Champ sik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the rough sik-m-boi's Avatar

Re: How soon before there will be

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    I thought breaking the rules and saying that you don't is what being a Baptist was all about. Go figger??
    i'd say stereotypes are not always accurate.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

I thought breaking the rules and saying that you don't is what being a Baptist was all about. Go figger??
    I'll call that a blatant lie! Guess some folks would call you racist if you made such a blanket statement about members of one race or another. But, guess it is not politically incorrect to be so inappropriate with public comments about all members of a denomination.

One thing about being a CHRISTIAN (of any denomination) is that you are sorry for your sins and turn away from them. Sin is the root cause all of us need Christ. Continuing in that sin as a habbit of life is not appropriate for any Christian - regardless of denomination.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by markay714 View Post
    I'll call that a blatant lie! Guess some folks would call you racist if you made such a blanket statement about members of one race or another. But, guess it is not politically incorrect to be so inappropriate with public comments about all members of a denomination.

One thing about being a CHRISTIAN (of any denomination) is that you are sorry for your sins and turn away from them. Sin is the root cause all of us need Christ. Continuing in that sin as a habbit of life is not appropriate for any Christian - regardless of denomination.
    My comment was clearly directed at a well-known stereotype. Obviously not all Baptists are hypocrites, but there are enough of them to foster such a stereotype. That is the nature of stereotypes - they are never true across the board for all members of the group.

A little sensitive?
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Bulldog Churchlady is a jewel in the roughChurchlady is a jewel in the roughChurchlady is a jewel in the roughChurchlady is a jewel in the roughChurchlady is a jewel in the roughChurchlady is a jewel in the roughChurchlady is a jewel in the roughChurchlady is a jewel in the roughChurchlady is a jewel in the roughChurchlady is a jewel in the roughChurchlady is a jewel in the rough Churchlady's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cal&Ken View Post
    Why don't you point them out for me. The only one I know of that may or may not be true is Obama. There are people that are saying either way. I think if he really wasn't we would hear more about it. I don't care one way or the other - he will not be president either way.

I don't see how you can argue with my opinion on anything else. And please don't argue that because you have seen Bill walk in a church he is a Christian. We are known by our fruits, and we have all seen his.
    Being a wee bit judgemental, aren't we??? Hmmmm?

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

This thread is a great reason we must have a political board. It would be better if it were a private board so that the general public couldn't read the rudeness we sometimes direct at one another! It can be good reading when the posts include good reasoning!

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

My comment was clearly directed at a well-known stereotype. Obviously not all Baptists are hypocrites, but there are enough of them to foster such a stereotype. That is the nature of stereotypes - they are never true across the board for all members of the group.

A little sensitive?
    How about a joke to lighten the mood:

What's the difference between a Catholic and a Baptist?

A Catholic will wave to you in the liquor store!

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

Most Baptists I know do not drink. Exactly these types of stereotypes are the reason that I have never had even a sip of alcohol in my life. While not being drunk is a biblical imperative "Do not be drunk with wine ....but be filled with the Holy Spirit", not drinking is a denominational distinctive for Southern Baptists. I'm Southern Baptist and have been all of my life, so I therefore will not drink. When and if I choose to drink, my denominational affiliation would change. Obviously all Baptists don't feel this way.

I might be wrong, but I would say that probably 80% of my friends from church feel the same way - they don't drink at all. I'm talking about the people that are there and involved - not the membership rolls which include people who may have attended 20 years ago (hard to get taken off of the church rolls!). There are plenty of people that grew up Baptist and may still call themselves Baptist, but may never attend or not regularly - they probably do whatever they feel like doing.

Overall, I'd say that drinking is not something that I need in my life. While I have friends that enjoy it in moderation (definitely not to a point of drunkenness), I don't see it as something that is needed in my life to have a good time. And, I definitely see more bad stuff that it has added to our world than good. I don't need it. Of course, in our selfish society, its all about what WE want isn't it? Is that the way it should be?

Champ randerizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the rough randerizer's Avatar

Overall, I'd say that drinking is not something that I need in my life. While I have friends that enjoy it in moderation (definitely not to a point of drunkenness), I don't see it as something that is needed in my life to have a good time. And, I definitely see more bad stuff that it has added to our world than good. I don't need it. Of course, in our selfish society, its all about what WE want isn't it? Is that the way it should be?
    In a selfish society, there is no WE! You asked a pretty stupid question - "Is that the way it should be?" Let me respond with: "Why should it be any other way?"

Quote Originally Posted by randerizer View Post
    In a selfish society, there is no WE! You asked a pretty stupid question - "Is that the way it should be?" Let me respond with: "Why should it be any other way?"
    Our world view is different naturally....guess that was obvious already.

Big Dog exit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really nice exit84's Avatar

Most Baptists I know do not drink. Exactly these types of stereotypes are the reason that I have never had even a sip of alcohol in my life. While not being drunk is a biblical imperative "Do not be drunk with wine ....but be filled with the Holy Spirit", not drinking is a denominational distinctive for Southern Baptists. I'm Southern Baptist and have been all of my life, so I therefore will not drink. When and if I choose to drink, my denominational affiliation would change. Obviously all Baptists don't feel this way.

I might be wrong, but I would say that probably 80% of my friends from church feel the same way - they don't drink at all. I'm talking about the people that are there and involved - not the membership rolls which include people who may have attended 20 years ago (hard to get taken off of the church rolls!). There are plenty of people that grew up Baptist and may still call themselves Baptist, but may never attend or not regularly - they probably do whatever they feel like doing.

Do any of them smoke? or are over weight? gossip?

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Most Baptists I know do not drink.
    How do you know this?
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Quote Originally Posted by exit84 View Post
    Plenty - and that's where you get into the definition of a hypocrite. I NEVER professed to say that Baptists are without sin - I just hate when people assume they all run around hiding their alcohol indulgences/purchases. As Christians we are all trying to learn and grow in our knowledge of God and in applying His word in our lives. None of us are perfect.

That's my point. I don't even think it is a sin to drink (just to be drunk), but because it is one of the tenants of my denomination I choose not to drink.

If I had to guess, I'd say Baptists like the general population have a horrible time with gluttony. And, we're great with the fellowships (translates directly to eating really good stuff).

Self-control is a fruit of the spirit, so the question is not really do you have self-control, but as a Christian evaluating my spiritual condition I should be looking in the mirror and saying am I growing in self control or have I allowed obesity to be a "socially acceptable sin" in my life (it is definitely not frequently preached against in any church I've been in, but should). Think self-control covers probably not only gluttony, gossip, and even drinking too much. That is what the Bible says to all of us - not something that is part of the Baptist Faith and Message or even Baptist tradition.

Champ sik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the rough sik-m-boi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exit84 View Post
    nothing, specifically, against smoking in the bible. not sure if that matters to the conversation but i thought i'd throw it out there.

btw, i wave in the liquor store...drinking is nothing to be ashamed of unless you feel guilty for doing it and if you feel guilty for doing it, then don't do it. simple as that.

i do agree with markay that drinking to excess is not what God wants for us and i think it has to be fewed on the same level as other sins of excess (laziness, gluttony, etc.).

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sik-m-boi View Post
    nothing, specifically, against smoking in the bible. not sure if that matters to the conversation but i thought i'd throw it out there.

btw, i wave in the liquor store...drinking is nothing to be ashamed of unless you feel guilty for doing it and if you feel guilty for doing it, then don't do it. simple as that.

i do agree with markay that drinking to excess is not what God wants for us and i think it has to be fewed on the same level as other sins of excess (laziness, gluttony, etc.).
    I have to disagree there. I believe it talks about your body being a temple - I don't think there should be smoke in the "temple". Of course the same can be said for overeating and in general not taking care of your body.

Or eating ANYTHING that is unhealthy.

+ Reply to Thread