+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Dallas White Rock Marathon or bust

Big Dog Rickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really nice

Re: 2007 Dallas White Rock Marathon or bust

Any runners from Lake Charles here? I am going to be in LC for a couple of weekends over the next few months. Anybody know of any races down there?

4 miles tonight, but only after I made some brownies for Mrs. Rickeydad, then ate too many, then remembered "oh yeah, I want a BQ at DWR."

Big Dog Rickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really nice

Ran 3rd race in 5 days last night. Set PR for 5K with triple stroller, came in at 32:48, 7:38/mile. Had picture taken - http://www.runtex.com/web/1-924.asp

Varsity Bulldog CorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her game

I humbly bow to anyone that can push a triple stroller that fast. The best I've done with our SINGLE stroller is like 29 something.

Eagle,

Here's that foam roller for your IT band - http://www.performbetter.com/detail....918_A_rnd_E_49

If the link doesn't work, its at performbetter.com. I have the 6" diameter 3' long roller. There is an exercise sheet that can be downloaded on that page. Check it out.

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

Your kids have a 3:00 minute faster 5k PR than I do. The only thing worse than getting "chicked" in a race, is getting smoked by a guy hauling his entire nuclear family.

Seriously though, congrats. Do you do any Tri's?

Varsity Bulldog CorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her game

Thanks RD. I was looking through some old RW mags last night and they mentioned these as being helpful. I'll check it out. It seems to be getting better, I'm hoping to ease back into things sometime next week.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDawg View Post
    Do you do any Tri's?
    Not yet. Got a bike though. Won't be long.

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

I recommend the RiverCities Tri in Benton, LA in August. Good sprint distance tri for newbies, pretty course and surprisingly hilly bike course. Plus the swag bag you get is better than any race I've been in.

2005 NFL Survivor Contest Champion RXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of light RXDAWG's Avatar

AD, a lot of my friends do the River Cities Tri in Shreveport every August. They say it fills up in hours and the bag you get for it is fantastic! I don't do Tri's, but from what I hear, this is a must do!!!

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar

AD, are you in?

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar

I signed up for the Sandestin tri today. Gulf swim and that scares the crap out of me with the waves, current, and sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgbitten View Post

AD, are you in?
    I don't think so. I waited too late to start training. I don't think I can get back to where I was by then. Also, I don't have the loaner bike anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgbitten View Post
    I signed up for the Sandestin tri today. Gulf swim and that scares the crap out of me with the waves, current, and sharks.
    Don't forget the jellyfish, or are they Portuguese Man of War?

I'm going to talk to the boss and see if I can do the Tri up in SHV/Bossier. I haven't been swimming much. The biking and running don't scare me. http://www.sportspectrumusa.com/raceDetail.php?ID=54

Saturday I ran my 2nd fastest 5K since I started running again, 15 years after high school. Missed PR by 1 second. Got to run without a stroller. I think I'm going to keep up with the weekly hills and track work throughout the summer. I need to start mixing in some longer runs.

Week 7 - 4, 0, 6, 0, 4.1, 5K (3.1), 6.7, total 23.9
    Last edited by Rickeydad; 05-29-2007 at 10:19 AM.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rickeydad View Post
    (Well, actually if I don't make it there I still have the 2008 Austin Marathon to run.)

So here is the thread for those wanting to run the 2007 Dallas White Rock Marathon. I can't promise I'll make it, but if I do, I want to meet you there.

I officially started several weeks ago.
    Week 1 - The road to Dallas White Rock started for me this week. I'm having to start from next to nothing so it was a short week. Just 17 miles.
    Week 2 - 4.6, 0, 5, 0, 0, 7.7, 6.2, - 23.5
    Week 3 - 5 hills, 2, 4 track, 0, 0, 8.5, 0 - 19.5
    Week 4 - 5.5 hills, 0, 4 track, 0, 0, 0, 0 - 9.5 (weekend trip to Lake Charles)
    Week 5 - 0, 0, 0, 1.5, 6.75, 0, 0 - 8.25 (weekend trip to SHV)
    Week 6 - 5.5, 4.4 triple stroller, 0, 0, 6.5 triple stroller, 1 triple stroller, 3.1, - 20.5

I'd like a BQ out of this. I'd like to get up to 45-50 mpw, but at this rate it's not going to happen. Too many trips to Louisiana, too much work, too many kids.
    I ran White Rock back in the late '80's. Also ran the Louisiana Marathon Championships in 1987 and 88 (began and ended at La Downs) PR was 3:10. Didn't like marathons! I was much better at the half-marathon, 15Ks and down to 10Ks. Marathons take waaaay too much training to be any fun. I ran (and raced) because I enjoyed it.

Somewhere around 22-23 miles your body hits "the wall". It's a wierd sensation.....

Best of luck in your training. I'll be with you in spirit and rooting for ya!

It's been a while. But since I posted this I'll update it every now and then.

In reality, I have a full time job and 6 kids. I don't have a whole lot of time to get the miles in. So I'm trying something that a lot of runners think is fringe - running just 3 days a week. Well, it's not that watered down because there are also cross training days. Here's the program: http://www.furman.edu/first/2006%20m...%20program.pdf. I have no idea how this will turn out.

I started two weeks ago. Recap of the first two weeks:

Week 1
    Day 1 - Cross training #1 - I just rode my bike for 45 minutes, keeping a cadence of 80.
    Day 2 - Workout 1 - 1 mile warm up, 3x1600m at 6:20 pace with 1 minute rest interval, 2 miles cooldown. I did this last week and had a hell of a time trying to keep pace. Last week I went 6:22, 6:45, 7:10. Not good. My legs were tired from a previous run. This week I decided to go against the plan and run a little slower because of the heat and humidity, hoping that in later weeks I could approach the times I need to run at. I ran them in 6:41, 6:49, 6:45.
    Day 3 - Cross training #2 - The book actually calls out the recommended workouts for the cross training days. I did a recommended spin workout. 10 minutes easy, the 6x1 minute hard, 4 minutes easy, then 5 minutes cool down.
    Day 4 - Workout 2 - 2 miles warmup, 2 miles at tempo (6:53 pace), 2 miles cool down.
    No problem, held pace at 6:54.
    Day 5 - Rest
    Day 6 - Workout 3 - 13 miles in. I did this two weeks ago on a flat route and came in at 8:04/mile. Tonight I opted for the challenging route with hills. I was actually ahead of pace for much of it, running sub 8, but that ended up costing me. The last two miles were tough and I finished at 8:09 pace.
    Day 7 - Rest

Week 2
    Monday - Workout #1 - 1 mile WU, 4 x 800m (3:02 target) with 1 min RI, 10 min cool down. Well, I hit the first one. 3:01, 3:11, 3:06, 3:03. I jogged the first rest interval. Walked the other rest intervals. At least it was a short workout. I'm still tired from the long run.
    Tuesday - XT#1 - I skipped hoping to do a race Wednesday night. My hamstrings are sore.
    Wednesday - Workout #2 - I didn't get to race, so I did Workout #2. 1 mile warmup, 5 miles at marathon pace (7:36) and one mile cool down. In the end, I ran too fast. I finished in 37:13, or 7:27/mile. At the time, it didn't seem like too big of a deal. My hamstrings were sore for a mile.
    Thursday - XT#2 - I skipped because of soreness.
    Friday - Rest Day - But I tried the long run because we have plans Saturday. 15 miles, target pace 8:21/mile. In reality, I did 3.75 miles, at 8:26/mile. I had several problems. I will try again Sunday, hopefully with an earlier start.
    Saturday - Workout #3 - This would be the long run day, but we have plans.
    Sunday - Rest Day - But I'll be trying the long run again.

+ Reply to Thread