+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Music

Champ sik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the rough sik-m-boi's Avatar

Re: Music

found classic vinyl the other day and it is fast becoming one of my favorite channels. i got the who, the beatles, some tull i'd never heard before, byrds, and floyd all in a row...i almost got emotional.

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

Yeah that one is on my presets as well. Check out I think it is Deep Cuts, or Deep Tracks as well. They play tracks that were not the hits off classic albums. I can't for the life of me understand how AOR stations can continue to play Stairway to Heaven over and over and still be on the air. Even Robert Plant says he's sick of that song.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Tool, Pink Floyd, Deftones, Led Zepellin, The Mars Volta, Hendrix, Metallica, Rush, Smashing Pumpkins, Hum, Buckethead, Rolling Stones, Van Halen, Yngwie Malmsteen, Radiohead, Dream Theater, NIN, System of a Down, Korn, Muse...I keep them on the computer. I really need to get an Ipod and docking station so that I can hook them up to my home theater system. The x-series of speakers from AV123 (internet direct company) are great value speakers, BTW, if anyone is in the market for a home theater system.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

How bout a link to their site? I definitely need to upgrade.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoDawg View Post
    How bout a link to their site? I definitely need to upgrade.
    www.av123.com

They have a community forum where many owners talk about their experiences and give setup/purchasing tips. The problem with going with an ID company is that it is difficult to audition the speakers before purchasing.

There is also a useful thread in the AV Science forum for budget alternatives to the HTiB. That is where I first learned of AV123.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=809777
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

OK, tell me a little about the system you are using. I'm starting from scratch so I'm going to purchase a receiver first, speakers of course. I have a decent TV, although it's not HD capable. I have a DVD that I can start with, I would prefer not to bother with a CD player so something with Ipod capability would be good. There are so many choices.
    Last edited by GonzoDawg; 06-05-2007 at 07:44 PM.

OK, tell me a little about the system you are using. I'm starting from scratch so I'm going to purchase a receiver first, speakers of course. I have a decent TV, although it's not HD capable. I have a DVD that I can start with, I would prefer not to bother with a CD player so something with Ipod capability would be good. There are so many choices.
    There truly is alot to sort through. I went Onkyo SR- 504 for receiver ( http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR504...1096247&sr=8-1) [I was able to find it for $170 new with free shipping and I hear you can get it even cheaper] and AV123 x-LS for mains. The next acquisition will be an AV123 x-CS for a center channel to match my mains (it is a little more efficient than the x-LS, but has the same drivers - it should be a decent enough match for me).

I haven't settled on a sub yet. Possibly Bic H100 or maybe I will get an SVS sub.

The following step is even more uncertain. Maybe I will get some floorstanding speakers for mains like the x-SLS or x-MTM and move the x-LS to rear surround positions.

I should point out the x-series from AV123 are "warm" sounding speakers. They do not have the "brightness" that speakers like Klipsch are known for. They are VERY clear, however, and very non-fatiguing to listen to. It has actually taken some adjustment for me to get used to their sound. I am used to systems that amplify the highest and lowest frequencies to cover up the mush they produce for midrange. The midrange is where AV123 shines. If your source is not very good, you will be able to tell with these speakers.

Polk makes some speakers that can be had for even cheaper than AV123 x-LSs but they have a different sound signature. It really just depends on what you want your speakers to sound like. the AVSforum link I provided in the last post is a really good place to start when thinking about a quality budget home theater system.

One tip I would give you is that whatever your budget is - put more of it towards the speakers than the receiver. There are many capable receivers out there that can be had for <$200. You can certainly improve the quality of your system by getting a better receiver, but if you are working on a tight budget, speakers make the biggest difference. Look at the receivers referenced on the AVSforum link to see which one suits your needs and budget best. I went with the Onkyo in part because of the great reviews it got, its 7.1 capability, the plethora of formats it can handle, the fact that it has 3 optical inputs and a preout for the sub, and enough power for the room I am putting it in.

Another tip I have learned - monoprice.com has ridiculously good prices on wires and cables. Don't waste your money at a Best Buy type store for them.

BTW, it is very difficult for me to watch SD format television programming after going HD. Most people I know that have gone the HD route (which is pretty much everyone I know in the city I live in) feel the same. Unless, you are in a place like Ruston that does not currently broadcast ANYTHING in HD, I would make this upgrade a priority.

Thanks for the info, I've found a lot of good information on the like you provided. Learned a lot about THD and S/N ratio though another site. The advice reguarding speakers is well heard. I like that Onkyo reciever you have, looks like the price is right as well. Until I can afford the new speakers how do you think it will do with the old Yamaha speakers I have? Do you use you system primarily for video playback? I guess if would be a good idea to go listen to some different speakers to know "what I want them to sound like".

Thanks for the info, I've found a lot of good information on the like you provided. Learned a lot about THD and S/N ratio though another site. The advice reguarding speakers is well heard. I like that Onkyo reciever you have, looks like the price is right as well. Until I can afford the new speakers how do you think it will do with the old Yamaha speakers I have? Do you use you system primarily for video playback? I guess if would be a good idea to go listen to some different speakers to know "what I want them to sound like".
    When deciding on a receiver I would also encourage you to look into the "receivers" subforum on AV Science forum. There is a good discussion on the "futureproof" receiver.

Here is a link: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=738511

Are you coming from a Yamaha HTiB solution? What receiver do you currently have? Assuming you have a somewhat capable receiver you may notice the biggest change by getting speakers first. Yamaha's forte is their receivers not their speakers. If you are coming from a Yamaha HTiB, then you probably will want to upgrade your speaker wire too (assuming you haven't already) - get 16 or 14 AWG wire.

If your receiver does not have the connectivity that you need, then it could be a moot point.

Unfortuantely I toasted that receiver a few years ago. Bought it about circa 1984.. I still have the speakers. This will be my first foray into the electronics area since. I'm finally at a position in life where a few of these nicetys are obtainable. I really appreciate your input and the resource you have provided.

A new system will give a a good reason to listen to all my old stuff in a new way.

Things will sound different. That is for sure. It can be alot of fun picking out your gear. So much fun that you can get an unshakable case of upgraditis.

Well I just received some good news on the electronics front. My cousin is getting back into selling high end electronics and will be able to get me some good deals. I'll keep you posted on what we find. Mean while check out their site. http://www.yourdigitalhouse.com/

+ Reply to Thread