+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Washington, DC Travel Tips

Champ dawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the rough

Washington, DC Travel Tips

I'm headed up to the Washington, D.C. area with my wife and her parents this Thursday for the Memorial Day weekend. We're staying with my parents who live near the end of the MARC Brunswick line (in the panhandle of WV). I've visited the DC area a lot (and lived/worked up there for a short while), but my wife has only visited once, and my in-laws have never been to the DC area. What must see sites should we include in our list that aren't listed below?

So far, we have tours of the US Capitol Bldg, and Bureau of Engraving and Printing scheduled, with plans to see (from the outside) the White House, the various memorials on and around the mall, Arlington Cemetry (not on memorial day and perhaps a Smithsonian. For the days outside of DC, we're going to try to visit Harper's Ferry, WV, Gettysburg, PA, some closer battlefields (father in-law is into that sort of thing). Maybe spend some time on the Shenandoah River or something like that.

Can anyone think of other things that someone who has not been to DC might enjoy seeing/doing while there?

Champ 9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough 9701Dawg's Avatar

Re: Washington, DC Travel Tips

Quote Originally Posted by dawgcrazy View Post
    I'm headed up to the Washington, D.C. area with my wife and her parents this Thursday for the Memorial Day weekend. We're staying with my parents who live near the end of the MARC Brunswick line (in the panhandle of WV). I've visited the DC area a lot (and lived/worked up there for a short while), but my wife has only visited once, and my in-laws have never been to the DC area. What must see sites should we include in our list that aren't listed below?

So far, we have tours of the US Capitol Bldg, and Bureau of Engraving and Printing scheduled, with plans to see (from the outside) the White House, the various memorials on and around the mall, Arlington Cemetry (not on memorial day and perhaps a Smithsonian. For the days outside of DC, we're going to try to visit Harper's Ferry, WV, Gettysburg, PA, some closer battlefields (father in-law is into that sort of thing). Maybe spend some time on the Shenandoah River or something like that.

Can anyone think of other things that someone who has not been to DC might enjoy seeing/doing while there?
    Ever been to Alexandria, VA? Its easy to get to (off of the King Street metro station) and has good restaurants and a lot of history. For instance, Gadsby's Tavern (George Washington's old hangout) and Carlyle House (where the French and Indian War was HQ under General Braddock). Also, the old town tours are good. See: http://www.alexcolonialtours.com/

Of course, there is Mount Vernon, which is just a short drive south of Alexandria. http://www.mountvernon.org/

A cool museum to check out is the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum at Dulles Airport:
    http://www.nasm.si.edu/udvarhazy/

On the mall:
    The american history musem is closed for renovations.
    National Holocaust Musem : www.ushmm.org/museum/
    The national gallery of art is definitely worth seeing, imo.
    http://www.nga.gov/

Also, Ford's Theatre: http://www.fordstheatre.org/home.asp

A restaurant to check out by the white house: http://www.ebbitt.com/main/home.cfm?...out_the_Ebbitt

Champ dawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for all the tips! I've done Mt. Vernon, but not really explored Alexandria. Sounds like fun!

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

i loved the views from the tomb of the unknown soldier and the arlington cemetery in general... also, walked from there to this nifty bell tower thing that i think holland gave us- also a great view... then a great veiw from the marine corps memorial.

just thinking about d.c. is making want to go back for another week or two... soo much to see, soo little time.

spy museum.
    everything associated with the mall.
    supreme court.
    capitol building.
    white house.
    fbi hq.
    all the department buildings.
    embassys.
    museums.
    botanical gardens.
    navy memorial.
    ww1 memeorial. (i didn't even know this existed until i was walking past it)
    archives...
    the list is endless, kinda...

i have a lot of pics from my last visit - which i count as my first because i didn't know any better or anything when i was little (like 7 yrs. old)... i'm definately wanting to go again and add to the collection!

this was my favorite pic i took.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

National Cathedral is always impressive for me.

Every time I go there I want to hang gargoyles everywhere, everywhere, everywhere............

+ Reply to Thread