+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caitlyn Clark vs Pete Maravich

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Caitlyn Clark vs Pete Maravich

Not arguing men vs women. Do you consider them to be an apples to apples comparison? Her percentage is better. His buckets made is higher. Her point total is higher. Have had a few discussions with others who think CC being better is a hill to die on. I think the lack of a 3pt line and not playing as a freshman is enough to say you really can’t compare the 2.

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Re: Caitlyn Clark vs Pete Maravich

Pete also played during segregation and was shooting most of his shots at a high percentage rate with very little defense being played. Caitlyn is usually double or triple teamed often firing off threes from the cheap seats.

It’s always apples and oranges.

Both are incredible pure shooters.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Pete did NOT play during segregation. He played during the college heydays of Alcindor, Hayes, Carr, Haywood, Murphy, Lanier, Gilmore, et al. He played on next to lousy LSU teams in an era when slow play and hard zone was the norm.

Not a fan of Pete or LSU, but if you were comparing apples Caitlyn's box has worms!
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

It was really Pistol Pete that spurred my interest in college basketball. No, was not an LSU fan, more a Pistol fan. And that LSU team had some colorful names, other players were "Apple" Sanders and "Fig" Newton, also nicknames. They lost to Al McGuire's Marquette team in the NIT, second round I think it was. Back then the NIT was a salty tournament with some terrific teams in it.

When Pistol joined the New Orleans Jazz, I became a huge fan of his. Mentioned on the other thread he would come to the Y and play pick-up games with us. He also found Christ before his untimely death.

Why does there need to be comparisons? Pistol was special, and Caitlyn Clark is really good in her right. Different time, different game, and both of them excelled.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly my thoughts. Why can’t both of them be generational players who should be celebrated? Why can’t both of them be good in their own right? I hate comparison of players in any sport from different eras.

Big Dog olddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her game

I think the comparing from different eras applies to MLB as well. Not to take anything away from today's top-of-the-line hitters but they are facing dozens of pitchers who would be in the minor leagues if there were still only 16 teams as up to the start of expansion. Conversely, todays pitchers are facing dozens of hitters who would still be in the minors - so perhaps it all balances out.

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

When I look at players I look at a couple of areas and if the numbers are close then I allow myself to compare them, i.e. # of at bats, # of games played, point per game etc.. I know there are lots of other factors but I feel if you get 1000 at bats against the best of whatever your era offers and you hit .380 then it is somewhat comparable.

You do have players once in a while that break all norms. Like Nolan Ryan striking out more batters after 40 years old, than most pitchers now days get in a career.

Clark has already played 133 games with a handful more to go. 3771 points so far. She will add to this. She has played against the best the women's game currently has to offer.

Pete in 83 varsity games scored 3,667 before the three point line. Now if he had been able to add his freshman stats in we would have been at 102 games and 4,408 points.

Now while Pete did play during the college heydays of Alcindor, Hayes, Carr, Haywood, Murphy, Lanier, Gilmore, et al. He didn't play against that level of talent often. The best teams in the SEC were still segregated when he finished playing. He never played in the NCAA's to see that stronger talent either. Not his fault LSU was Lousy when he got there.

It's not apples to apples and they are both generational players for sure, but I don't think her record is quite as impressive as his. That's just my .02 and that's all its worth.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Not arguing men vs women. Do you consider them to be an apples to apples comparison? Her percentage is better. His buckets made is higher. Her point total is higher. Have had a few discussions with others who think CC being better is a hill to die on. I think the lack of a 3pt line and not playing as a freshman is enough to say you really can’t compare the 2.
    No comparison -

Clark doesn't even hold the women's all time scoring record if you include AIAW stats (which we claim a National Title in as one of our NCs)

Pistol was a phenom and years a head of his time - freshman were ineligible, not 3 pt shot, no shot clock - era of the 4 corners where some games ended up 35-28 and I think he played in exactly one post season tournament (NIT) in his career

Pete stands on a hill all alone
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    No comparison -

Clark doesn't even hold the women's all time scoring record if you include AIAW stats (which we claim a National Title in as one of our NCs)

Pistol was a phenom and years a head of his time - freshman were ineligible, not 3 pt shot, no shot clock - era of the 4 corners where some games ended up 35-28 and I think he played in exactly one post season tournament (NIT) in his career

Pete stands on a hill all alone
    Caitlin Clark passes Lynette Woodard’s AIAW large school scoring record - The Athletic

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

That's large school -

There is the total AIAW scoring record still out there...

Like I said, I said she still hasn't even broken that - I think her last name was Moore and it was close to 3,900 pts - to lazy to google it
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Iowa would need to reach the championship and Clark average 48.3. If you discard the JUCO points, Clark would need to continue her season average for 4 games.
    1. Francis Marion’s Pearl Moore has the overall record with 4,061 points from 1975-79 at the small-college level in the AIAW, a non-Division I school. Moore had 177 of her points at Anderson Junior College before enrolling at Francis Marion, the Associated Press reported.
    Caitlin Clark breaks scoring record: Here's a list of women’s college basketball all-time scorers (livenowfox.com)

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Saw an ESPN executive saying they expect the women's tournament to match the men's in TV viewership and in some cases, like when Iowa plays, South Carolina plays, and pigtails makes an ass out of herself again, that the ratings will exceed the men's tournament. I don't know about that except in those very specific incidents, Iowa playing and some others. But, I do think the ratings will be up vs. other WBB tournaments from the past.

Well...look at this thread and the other one, who is being discussed...a woman player from Iowa!

To be fair, she is being discussed…..but vs arguably the best pure shooter and ball handler the game has ever seen. Not being compared to other women. Also to be fare to those last comments, I did tune in when Iowa played in the tourney last year

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    That's large school -

There is the total AIAW scoring record still out there...

Like I said, I said she still hasn't even broken that - I think her last name was Moore and it was close to 3,900 pts - to lazy to google it
    Comparing D1 stats to small school stats doesn't make any more sense than comparing women's basketball stats to men's basketball stats. Playing in an inferior league makes it, by definition, apples to oranges. Caitlin now has the major women's record. Pete has the men's record. Talking about an "overall record" is absurd.

Big Dog TechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgMc View Post
    Comparing D1 stats to small school stats doesn't make any more sense than comparing women's basketball stats to men's basketball stats. Playing in an inferior league makes it, by definition, apples to oranges. Caitlin now has the major women's record. Pete has the men's record. Talking about an "overall record" is absurd.
    Totally agree with what you have said. To compare Men Basketbal players to Women Basketball players is ridiculous. It is like comparing apples to oranges. Compare them separately. As said previously compare the Best Womens scorer and Best Mens scorer separately.

+ Reply to Thread