+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We aren't the only ones with CUAS on our mind:

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Re: We aren't the only ones with CUAS on our mind:

I agree that NT would face a major challenge from SMU, Rice, and maybe event Tulsa when it came to a vote. Marshall might be likely to move, but the question is where to? The Big East is unlikely, but going back to the MAC is not completely out of the question. It's a long shot, but not out of the question because the MAC is not a bad conference.

The big question, in my mind, is will the MWC expand? They seem pretty content where they are, and the whole reason they broke away from the WAC in the first place was because the conference had become too big and "watered down" by teams like Fresno and UTEP. If they expand, Boise is a great candidate, and Nevada would be a close second. Not sure about UTEP, and Fresno's chances are minimal. This is all my opinion, but I think it is fairly accurate. Boise is #1 for obvious reasons. The former president at UNLV always lobbied for Nevada to be in the MWC, and the new president will probably do the same. Fresno has too much scandal in it's past and the MWC does not want any part of that. UTEP has a decent shot, but probably not ahead of Boise and Nevada.

So, if UTEP leaves we are a great geographic fit. If Marshall or Memphis leaves, then it's up in the air. The new push to upgrade facilities, increase coaches salaries, and make a serious commitment to our programs is HUGE. If we come through on some good upgrades and have solid plans for more improvements, then CUSA has to take that seriously when they make their next decision.

As for our detractors, like ULL, ULM, etc. I think they understand the same thing that Tech fans understand; that Tech has a lot of untapped potential. Even with the half-hearted commitment that we have had for the last decade, we have still done pretty well. With a true commitment from the top, we can accomplish great things and everyone realizes that.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Don't the presidents of each university in the conf vote who gets in?

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WWDog View Post
    One NT poster states that the CUSA bylaws requires the schools to have a $20M budget. The poster further states that was what left them out on the last CUSA addition. Is this true or a bunch of BS.
    At the time of our rejection, UTEP's budget was within a couple hundred thousand dollars of ours.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    Don't the presidents of each university in the conf vote who gets in?

Yes. The presidents vote, not the AD's. Now normally the AD would have an enormous influence on the presidents decision but it is the presidents who have the final say which is actually good for us as DR has shown a nice ability to "schmooze" and build allies in the past.

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Housing Tulane students after Katrina didn't hurt us either. What is important is to continue to maintain good relationships with SMU, Rice, UTEP, and add a couple of other schools to our friends lists

Having major announcements by Karl Malone and Terry Bradshaw doesn't hurt us either. Especially having a person of Karl Malone's status involved with the program.

BTW SMU's atheletic budget is quite high. I don't know about 20 million, but they spend some serious cash (doesn't help em much, but they spend it anyway)

Champ 1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    At the time of our rejection, UTEP's budget was within a couple hundred thousand dollars of ours.
    Are you sure? I know they killed us with their facilities and football and basketball attendence but also thought they had a significantly larger budget as well.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Not sure about basketball, but when they were selected, I believe they had 2 wins in football...I highly doubt they killed us in football attendance. Since then, they've been just about THE top non-BCS with regard to attendance.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech XXIX View Post
    Johnny,

Don't you think that any opening in CUSA will come from Memphis leaving and going to the Big East? Who would vote for us right now if Memphis is not in the picture?
    Memphis will probably be the first to leave the C-USA in the future. I don't know to where. They want the SEC but the Big East is probably more likely because of their strong Basketball program.

Champ 1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Not sure about basketball, but when they were selected, I believe they had 2 wins in football...I highly doubt they killed us in football attendance. Since then, they've been just about THE top non-BCS with regard to attendance.
    i looked it up...utep averaged 20,000 in 2003 and over 40,000 in 2004.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Was 2004 Price's first year?
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Was 2004 Price's first year?
    yes, i think so.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

The biggest thing UTEP had going for them was their perceived commitment to athletics. They made plans, but hiring Price was the biggest thing they actually did.

Now that Tech is serious about facilities, salaries, and a sound future, we have the same opportunity. UTEP's attendance is not really much better than ours, and if we get into a regional conference, you will see a substantial increase in our attendance.

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WWDog View Post
    I think our best bet is to significantly improve facilities and budget while fielding teams in football and basketball to go with our outstanding baseball team to bring in the crowds. A little MARKETING would also help to bring in the crowds to show that we have a bigger base than some think.

Not sure any of that matters to them if we don't have a metropolitan area with a lot of TV's surrounding our campus. Winning or losing or attendance doesn't seem to matter to them. ie: Rice, SMU

Big Dog DeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud of DeepGreen's Avatar

I'd like to weigh in on this annual mid-summer conversation. First of all I must admit that I would love for North Texas to move to CUSA. That should be our universities goal first and foremost.

My NT friends won't like what I am about to say, but unless our new football coach, Todd Dodge pulls some really mircacle seasons in football over the next 2-3 years, I just don't see us moving up in conferences. Other than the post made by CorinthEagle on the NT baseball program, that's the first mention of adding baseball at NT that I have read in two years. The NT athletic director thows many "wishful carrots" out there to the fans in hopes of someone taking a large financial bite. Make no mistake, Rick Villereal has done a lot for North Texas Athletics, but only because we had slipped so far in facilities over the years. The Board of Regents are "athletic friendly" and alumns are beginning to give large donations to Athletics, but we need so much more.

Did you know that one alumn stepped forward and offered to fund the entire baseball program and NT turned him down, saying the timing was note right? Could have been a Title IX problem, I don't know. But he was ready to write a check to start baseball at NT, new stadium and all.

Speaking of stadiums, yes, NT is trying to replace the current dump, Fouts Field. By 2009, I doubt that will happen unless another "deep pockets" alumn steps forward. It's just plain sad to see Central Florida and even Florida International start on their new stadiums before NT. Hell, I'd be shocked if we are any closer now to realizing a new stadium than we were five years ago.

One thing I can say, Todd Dodge is creating quite a bit of excitement for the Mean Grean Nation. Over 5,000 fans for the spring game at NT?? Unheard of in previous years. We are seeing an upswing in the level of interest of HS football recruits. All because of Dodge and the facilities we now have. Not Fouts, but our overall facilities.

We have football commitments from a couple of HS players already. Again, unheard of in the history of NT football. Old Coach Dickey always believed in "stealth recruiting". Better know as, getting the crumbs at the end of recruiting season. Of course, commitments are non-binding.

CUSA, I personally think the next addition to that conference is for La Tech to lose. La Tech's main competition will be Troy or Mid Tennessee. Especially Troy. They are like a fart- silently but deadly!

2005 NFL Survivor Contest Champion RXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of light RXDAWG's Avatar

DG, we know all about "stealth recruiting". That's the way we were doing it also. We also had to get to the lowest point I've seen LaTech athletics in 20 years, but finally we are starting to turn a corner.

+ Reply to Thread