+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Rules question

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Rules question

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    Who did you learn this from? Because it's actually incorrect. Both sac flies and sac bunts do not count as an official at-bat, so if you have two plate appearances and finish with a sac bunt and sac fly, then you go 0-for-0 just like you would if you have two walks. Hitting streak over.
    So much for your rule knowledge. I took me less than 30 seconds to find this...

A streak shall not be terminated if all official plate appearances result in a base on balls, hit by pitch, defensive interference or a sacrifice bunt

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    So much for your rule knowledge. I took me less than 30 seconds to find this...

A streak shall not be terminated if all official plate appearances result in a base on balls, hit by pitch, defensive interference or a sacrifice bunt
    Interesting. I won't argue it, but the fact of the matter is that while the "hitting" streak might continue, the player didn't get a hit in the game. You must have an official at-bat to get a hit, and the rules are that walks, HBPs and sacrifices (both flies and bunts) are not official at-bats.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Interesting. I won't argue it, but the fact of the matter is that while the "hitting" streak might continue, the player didn't get a hit in the game. You must have an official at-bat to get a hit, and the rules are that walks, HBPs and sacrifices (both flies and bunts) are not official at-bats.
    The point is that 0-0 does not end the streak if one of the "0s" came from the list of exceptions.

It would be interesting to see if any of the current streaks contained an 0-0 performance. I'll let '06 look this one up for us.:icon_wink:

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

Who did you learn this from? Because it's actually incorrect. Both sac flies and sac bunts do not count as an official at-bat, so if you have two plate appearances and finish with a sac bunt and sac fly, then you go 0-for-0 just like you would if you have two walks. Hitting streak over.

If you go 0-0 with 2 walks, your hitting streak would not be over.

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

I learned yesterday that a sacrifice bunt attempt (bunt pop up) will keep a hitting streak alive while a sacrifice fly will not.
    OK, I'm confused. I know a successful sacrfice bunt doesn't count as an at-bat, but wouldn't a failed bunt attempt (bunt pop up for an out) count as an at-bat and therefore, the hitting streak would be ended. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by HoDo-Tech70 View Post
    OK, I'm confused. I know a successful sacrfice bunt doesn't count as an at-bat, but wouldn't a failed bunt attempt (bunt pop up for an out) count as an at-bat and therefore, the hitting streak would be ended. Am I missing something?
    Just saying what the man said. Some were so quick to jump on the ruling that they missed the fact that the sacrifice attempt didn't advance the runner. Good catch.

I didn't review every page to see if this has been asked and answered...

This is our first year of real baseball at 13/14. I want to make sure I score this correctly.

3rd strike dropped by the catcher and the batter gets to first safely.

I scored: E2, K by the pitcher, and K on the batter. How do I write down the runner being on 1st?

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

I didn't review every page to see if this has been asked and answered...

This is our first year of real baseball at 13/14. I want to make sure I score this correctly.

3rd strike dropped by the catcher and the batter gets to first safely.

I scored: E2, K by the pitcher, and K on the batter. How do I write down the runner being on 1st?
    K, E2

Quote Originally Posted by mentechsters View Post
    K, E2
    OK. When the catcher does get the out (by tag or throw) I don't score E2? For another wrinkle, what if the 1st baseman drops the throw to 1st? E2 and E3?

Champ LABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant future

Can someone tell me why in the the 2nd game with McNeese, when Bre'shon hit the pop-up at the plate in the 3rd inning, that an error wasn't called when the pitcher dropped the ball? Yes, Bre'shon was thrown out at 1st by the catcher but Alex advanced to 2nd due to that drop putting him in scoring position. Alex would never have tagged up to run to second if the ball had been caught.

There was a play last year where an outfielder dropped a line drive, with a runner on first and the outfielder picked up the ball and threw the runner, that was at first, out at second. Yes an out occurred and nothing statistically changed on the field in regards to runners, still a runner on first, but the dropped ball was scored as an error. I didn't understand the situation then so the non-error call on the Bre'shon play has really added to my confusion.

Any help on both of these plays would be greatly appreciated.

On a similar note, a)who does the official score keeping for Tech's games and b)does the scorekeeper tell the scoreboard operator what to put in regards to errors and non-errors or is that left up tothe scoreboard operator?

Quote Originally Posted by LABulldog View Post
    Can someone tell me why in the the 2nd game with McNeese, when Bre'shon hit the pop-up at the plate in the 3rd inning, that an error wasn't called when the pitcher dropped the ball? Yes, Bre'shon was thrown out at 1st by the catcher but Alex advanced to 2nd due to that drop putting him in scoring position. Alex would never have tagged up to run to second if the ball had been caught.

There was a play last year where an outfielder dropped a line drive, with a runner on first and the outfielder picked up the ball and threw the runner, that was at first, out at second. Yes an out occurred and nothing statistically changed on the field in regards to runners, still a runner on first, but the dropped ball was scored as an error. I didn't understand the situation then so the non-error call on the Bre'shon play has really added to my confusion.

Any help on both of these plays would be greatly appreciated.

On a similar note, a)who does the official score keeping for Tech's games and b)does the scorekeeper tell the scoreboard operator what to put in regards to errors and non-errors or is that left up tothe scoreboard operator?
    Scorekeeper for Tech is VERY liberal. Friday night there were a couple of hits that I thought should have been E4. The second baseman for McNeese had a tough first few innings in game 1.

Just guessing on the first one. But maybe scoring allows for a drop on purpose in order to get the double play even though they didn't get it and even though he didn't drop it on purpose.

I asked about the second one last year because you see that often in little league. I'll have to go back an look it up. My question was more about how to score the hit/non hit if it was played as a grounder. If I remember correctly most everyone agreed that it would be scorede as a fielders choice. I guess if the outfielder drops it on purpose he gets the credit for being a team player while his fielding % goes down.

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Scorekeeper for Tech is VERY liberal.
    ...and our coach has a penchant for telling the scorekeeper to go back and change things later. I'm sure sometimes it's necessary, but often they are judgment calls.

Varsity Bulldog sportsguylatech is a jewel in the roughsportsguylatech is a jewel in the roughsportsguylatech is a jewel in the roughsportsguylatech is a jewel in the roughsportsguylatech is a jewel in the roughsportsguylatech is a jewel in the roughsportsguylatech is a jewel in the roughsportsguylatech is a jewel in the roughsportsguylatech is a jewel in the roughsportsguylatech is a jewel in the roughsportsguylatech is a jewel in the rough sportsguylatech's Avatar

I imagine on the pop-up by Kimbell, because an out occured, that it would be considered a fielders choice.

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sportsguylatech View Post
    I imagine on the pop-up by Kimbell, because an out occured, that it would be considered a fielders choice.
    On the pop-up by Kimbell it appeared to me that the pitcher totally missed the ball and the spin took it foul. I thought it should have been ruled a foul ball. However, if it did hit the pitcher's glove I would score it a fielder's choice also with no error charged.

OK. When the catcher does get the out (by tag or throw) I don't score E2? For another wrinkle, what if the 1st baseman drops the throw to 1st? E2 and E3?
    If the catcher gets the out there is no error. Now if the 1st basesman misses the throw on a passed ball, it would be only an E-3. Unless, say there was a runner on another base that moved up as a result of the passed ball AND the 1st baseman missed the throw, then I assume it would be scored as 2 errors.

+ Reply to Thread