+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Rules question

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Re: Rules question

I don't know how to score it.
    I'll have to research my wife's iScore app on her iPad. After a weekend, she's about got it figured out. (Keeps her from pacing the grounds when grandson is pitching. :icon_wink

scorecardHBomb_Page_2.jpg
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    I don't know how to score it.
    I'll have to research my wife's iScore app on her iPad. After a weekend, she's about got it figured out. (Keeps her from pacing the grounds when grandson is pitching. :icon_wink

Attachment 8956
    Is there anything worse than for the one hole hitter to strike out looking?

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Is there anything worse than for the one hole hitter to strike out looking?
    . . . our team has that disease right now!

Quote Originally Posted by josephfanger525 View Post
    I was trained as a catcher to try to hit the jogger with the soccer tennis ball to eliminate any uncertainty as to the jogger actually interfering. If the jogger was in reasonable area then they would be out. Otherwise if they are on the range or in the three feet box then they would be secure.
    "soccer tennis ball". WTH is this?

Champ techblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    "soccer tennis ball". WTH is this?
    I don't know, but that game sounds kinda fun.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Batter squares to bunt. Ball comes across plate high. Batter never goes at the ball, but he never pulls bat back. Strike our ball?

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

Batter squares to bunt. Ball comes across plate high. Batter never goes at the ball, but he never pulls bat back. Strike our ball?
    That SHOULD be called a ball, but I wouldn't count on it. The batter is supposed to make an "attempt" to bunt for it to be called a strike. That is a judgement call though, so who knows what you're gonna get.

Quote Originally Posted by mentechsters View Post
    That SHOULD be called a ball, but I wouldn't count on it. The batter is supposed to make an "attempt" to bunt for it to be called a strike. That is a judgement call though, so who knows what you're gonna get.
    We have a pair of umpires who have done a 180 from the traditional call. They are so hung up on not calling a strike in the above situation that they won't call a strike if the ball is actually in the strike zone. They also rarely call a strike if the batter goes after a ball out of the strike zone. Reply was, "He couldn't have bunted that one anyway."

This being said, I guess I was taught wrong and have been teaching wrong for my players to pull the bat back on a ball. Might as well just stand there like a knot on a log with these type umps calling the game.

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

We have a pair of umpires who have done a 180 from the traditional call. They are so hung up on not calling a strike in the above situation that they won't call a strike if the ball is actually in the strike zone. They also rarely call a strike if the batter goes after a ball out of the strike zone. Reply was, "He couldn't have bunted that one anyway."

This being said, I guess I was taught wrong and have been teaching wrong for my players to pull the bat back on a ball. Might as well just stand there like a knot on a log with these type umps calling the game.
    No, you should teach them to pull the bat back. While you have umpires calling it like that (right or wrong), not many will.

Quote Originally Posted by mentechsters View Post
    No, you should teach them to pull the bat back. While you have umpires calling it like that (right or wrong), not many will.
    Drives me NUTS! Our opponents are using this technique with their bottom of the order guys to draw walks. Umps are giving them a free pass. It's like its not real baseball.

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

Happened to us ealier this year...umpire told me if the batter doesn't move the bat and does not attempt to bunt the ball, he calls it a ball...I teach to pull back if you are not going to bunt...very subjective call
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

ACTUALLY, that's a Baseball myth. There is no specific rule for holding the bat out in a bunt situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rule 2.00—Definitions of Terms
    A STRIKE is a legal pitch when so called by the umpire, which—(a) Is struck at by the batter and is missed;
    (b) Is not struck at, if any part of the ball passes through any part of the strike
    zone;
    So then we get to revert to THE BEST rule in the entire book....

Quote Originally Posted by 9.00—The Umpire
    (c) Each umpire has authority to rule on any point not specifically covered in these
    rules.

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    ACTUALLY, that's a Baseball myth. There is no specific rule for holding the bat out in a bunt situation.

So then we get to revert to THE BEST rule in the entire book....
    Try leaving your bat stuck out there. 90% of the time they will call a strike no matter where the ball crosses.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Rule 9.01c baby!! I guess you better start swinging or pulling it back!!

I did confirm that a batter squared to bunt and hit by a pitch is to be called out if he is NOT trying to draw his bat back. He does not have to be standing on the plate.

+ Reply to Thread