+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: ULM May Flip The Switch On Tech - latechreport.com

Bulldog RockNRoll Warrior has turned a few heads around hereRockNRoll Warrior has turned a few heads around hereRockNRoll Warrior has turned a few heads around here RockNRoll Warrior's Avatar

Re: ULM May Flip The Switch On Tech - latechreport.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    That's where you're wrong. Personally, I'd rather not play NT, and I think most on here would rather not either. The problem is you're missing the point. I think what most of us feel is that instead of playing ULM and sending 10,000 paying fans to their stadium in exchange for us getting nothing other than a short trip. When they play us at home, we will only see a small spike in attendance numbers that won't make that big of a difference anyway. You like saying it makes more sense than playing ULL, NT, Ark St., etc... but we don't want to play those guys either.

And you're crazy if you think ULM will stay around indefinitely if they start losing money. I think the whole landscape of Louisiana politics will be changing since Katrina. It may not be within the next couple of years, but I think it will come.
    Please understand, I am not advocating that we should play NLU. I agree with you. If we can get better games on the schedule, then great. Lets play those instead. My point is a simple one. If the choices are between small D1 schools, we should consider what is best for Tech, and not worry about what NLU or USL or NT or anyone else makes in the deal. If playing NLU is our best option, then do it. I am not saying it should be our first option, or anything close.

And, to be fair, we need to look at the numbers. If it you are correct that it will not make a big difference, then that is something for the adminstration to consider. I have no idea what the numbers have been. If USL brings more fans, that is a point in favor of playing them instead.

I understand what everone is saying. They don't want to help out NLU. That is fine. But, we should not let it blind us from doing what is best for Tech.

Bleed Tech Blue! JAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to behold JAY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    That's great. Did you see. There's already one ignorant response.

more now.

Champ JAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond repute JAB's Avatar

Let me throw my 2 cents in.
    A game at North Texas is better than a game in Monroe. Dallas has the second or third largest alumni base and playing in areas like Dallas, Houston, and Shreveport (top 3 not in order) are needed. My point is the alumni base in Monroe is thirty minutes away from every home game. Playing a game in Monroe will not be as beneficial as playing a game in the other areas. It's not the same and they shouldn't get the same deal.

Bulldog RockNRoll Warrior has turned a few heads around hereRockNRoll Warrior has turned a few heads around hereRockNRoll Warrior has turned a few heads around here RockNRoll Warrior's Avatar

That is an excellent point. Playing games in Dallas gives us exposure to our alumni base in that city, and perhaps also helps out with PR in that area for potential tech students. I buy that argument.

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Living in Dallas, I also agree. When we played North Texas last year, toward the end of the game I look up and see an elderly man sitting alone cheering his favorite school on ........ it was Charles Wyly. Thought that was pretty cool.

Wish we were in the same conference as SMU, it made for a good time here in Dallas every other year.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

I remember when we played SMU in Dallas in 2002-03, we out numbered their fans on their homecoming. Apparently most of them just came to tailgate, socialize, and go home.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by olddog75 View Post
    Wish we were in the same conference as SMU, it made for a good time here in Dallas every other year.
    I sure do miss kicking their butts sideways and only having a 25 minute drive home afterwards; then getting to read about it in the Dallas Morning News the next day.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

SMU, like Rice, UTEP, and Tulsa are flourishing in CUSA and they are vastly improved. The same would be true of Tech.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RockNRoll Warrior View Post
    That is an excellent point. Playing games in Dallas gives us exposure to our alumni base in that city, and perhaps also helps out with PR in that area for potential tech students. I buy that argument.
    I live in San Antonio. I went to 2 Tech games last year. North Texas and A&M. I went to the Rice games when Tech played at Rice. I would have gone to the SMU games if I could have. Still kicking myself for not making those games. I will travel to Tech for some home games this year. I will not travel to watch Tech crush NLUULM in Monroe.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Varsity Bulldog Appledog is just really niceAppledog is just really niceAppledog is just really niceAppledog is just really niceAppledog is just really niceAppledog is just really niceAppledog is just really niceAppledog is just really niceAppledog is just really nice Appledog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAB View Post
    Let me throw my 2 cents in.
    A game at North Texas is better than a game in Monroe. Dallas has the second or third largest alumni base and playing in areas like Dallas, Houston, and Shreveport (top 3 not in order) are needed. My point is the alumni base in Monroe is thirty minutes away from every home game. Playing a game in Monroe will not be as beneficial as playing a game in the other areas. It's not the same and they shouldn't get the same deal.
    Good point.
    Also throw in some others - Tulane & Memphis. Build some "CUSA" rivals even if we aren't in the same conference.
    You would think that SMU would like to keep a home and home series with us. I don't know what they are worried about, it not like we are fighting over that many of the same recruits from the DFW and Shreveport areas (granted we did give them a few good spankings on the field).

+ Reply to Thread