+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LC Law School????

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

LC Law School????

Word around A-Town is that Louisiana College is in the process of starting a Law program. LC is a private school that gets $$$ from the SBC, but there has to be some way that Tech could find the cash to open up a professional school. I see that we just graduated our first Doctor of Audiology. That's a start...

North Louisiana doesn't have a law school. I've given up hope that we could somehow take over the Health Science center in Shreveport, but there are other options...Law/Optometry/Vet...there are Law schools all over the place, but that's not true of optometry and vet schools. Professional schools get your name out there and produce high earning alumni. Will the state blackball us if we try to do something like this? They haven't interfered with our engineering stuff...how far can we push it?
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar

Re: LC Law School????

Good for them ...

I would love this BUT ... isn't this why when consultants recommended merging LSU-S (medical) under Tech legislators in Baton Rouge screamed to high heaven? They'll push back on law and medical schools .... hard ... Doctors and Lawyers make good donors, especially to athletics. LSU does well ensuring most of them are coming from LSU. As long as LSU law graduates run this place you will never see a state law school in North Louisiana that isn't LSU-Something.

I think we would have a better chance breaking away as a new state than in Louisiana the way it is ...

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

I think we would run into serious interference from the LSU crowd. It'd be a great thing to have a quality prof school.

BTW- LC running a professional school? They aren't even doing a very good job of running a small college. They've had huge problems in recent years -- vote of no-confidence in the trustees by the faculty, probation from SACS, meddling trustees, faculty leaving left and right. They really ought to get their house in order before trying to do something like that.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgMc View Post
    I think we would run into serious interference from the LSU crowd. It'd be a great thing to have a quality prof school.

BTW- LC running a professional school? They aren't even doing a very good job of running a small college. They've had huge problems in recent years -- vote of no-confidence in the trustees by the faculty, probation from SACS, meddling trustees, faculty leaving left and right. They really ought to get their house in order before trying to do something like that.
    They've just about wiped out all of the liberal faculty members - the house is nearly cleaned out from what I read in last week's Baptist Message. They ought to be in good shape to move forward soon.

Champ LT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by markay714 View Post
    They've just about wiped out all of the liberal faculty members - the house is nearly cleaned out from what I read in last week's Baptist Message. They ought to be in good shape to move forward soon.
    They had no liberal faculty. They used to have a few moderates but most all of them have been run off. Now they are truly fundamentalist like Liberty, Regents, and Bob Jones.
    ________
    Uhwh
    Last edited by LT; 05-05-2011 at 12:57 AM.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by markay714 View Post
    Markay,

I consider myself to be a pretty conservative guy, but this statement doesn't make a whole lot of sense. No offense, but it just doesn't.

Liberals don't cause votes of no confidence or probation from SACS. I'm sure the folks at the Baptist Message are happy to see the libs go, but that doesn't show that improvements are on the way. Hopefully they will get things in order, but they still have a long way to go.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

Moderate in SBC terms means that they don't believe in the inerrancy of scripture. Moderate is LIBERAL to us. The conservative side of things DOES believe in inerrancy. As you noted, I'm on the conservative side of things. I wouldn't call it Liberty or Bob Jones esque, but I don't mind seeing Professor Howell who didn't believe in the Genesis account of creation depart Louisiana College.

Actually, I'm not sure where the Baptist Message falls in this whole thing.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Moderate and Liberal are terms that the general public confuses as they pertain to Christianity. It has NOTHING to do with Politics.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Liberal and conservative (in relation to biblical views) has nothing to do with what happened at LC. Malcolm Yarnell is fundamentalist enough to get along well with Paige Patterson but even he realized that these trustees were going to be a pain to work with and backed out. I had a friend who applied for the president's job a few years ago (he's an absolute inerrantist). He got so disgusted with the trustees that he actually walked out on the interview.

Even more than in the SBC in general, this is about power and ignorance. Trustees who intervene in a college environment the way LC's have are doing damage that can't be easily fixed. And the lack of trust shown to faculty is appalling.

Liberal and conservative (in relation to biblical views) has nothing to do with what happened at LC. Malcolm Yarnell is fundamentalist enough to get along well with Paige Patterson but even he realized that these trustees were going to be a pain to work with and backed out. I had a friend who applied for the president's job a few years ago (he's an absolute inerrantist). He got so disgusted with the trustees that he actually walked out on the interview.

Even more than in the SBC in general, this is about power and ignorance. Trustees who intervene in a college environment the way LC's have are doing damage that can't be easily fixed. And the lack of trust shown to faculty is appalling.

I wouldn't agree. I grew up in church in Pineville with lots of LC faculty members. I wouldn't at all say that many I would definitely categorize as liberals. People I highly respect are members of the Board of Trustees at Louisiana College - one of which has been the pastor of my church for nearly 50 years - its only pastor (doesn't exactly give a reference that he doesn't "play well with others"). I don't know them all, of course, but based on my background and experience I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. I've been quite impressed with the new president when I've heard him speak.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LT View Post
    They had no liberal faculty. They used to have a few moderates but most all of them have been run off. Now they are truly fundamentalist like Liberty, Regents, and Bob Jones.
    Not true - the ones I know were very liberal a few years ago. Several are gone. They absolutely needed to clean house. They were designed as a Baptist college - if they want to be one they had to change- I don't know, but hopefully they are now ready to move forward. A lot of those same liberals contributed greatly to the demise of the local church with their crap. I am glad they are gone.

Varsity Bulldog TechStudent is on top of his/her gameTechStudent is on top of his/her gameTechStudent is on top of his/her gameTechStudent is on top of his/her gameTechStudent is on top of his/her gameTechStudent is on top of his/her gameTechStudent is on top of his/her gameTechStudent is on top of his/her gameTechStudent is on top of his/her gameTechStudent is on top of his/her gameTechStudent is on top of his/her game

I'm a Christian conservative but I believe exposure to opposing views is quite valuable in life and should defintely be part of a higher education. How can you possibly be well rounded and debate if you just know your viewpoint? Anyway, a few buddies of mine go to LC and they say it's a complete joke.

Quote Originally Posted by TechStudent View Post
    I'm a Christian conservative but I believe exposure to opposing views is quite valuable in life and should defintely be part of a higher education. How can you possibly be well rounded and debate if you just know your viewpoint? Anyway, a few buddies of mine go to LC and they say it's a complete joke.
    There's a difference b/w knowing opposing views and being taught that those opposing views are correct. As long as LC receives money from the SBC, the board has EVERY right to have teachers sign an abstract of principles or whatever. If the professors don't want to teach in the realm of orthodoxy, they should find another place to teach. If your friends think LC is a joke, they should go somewhere else.

My view is that what happened at LC needed to happen. HOWEVER, the methods used by the board to achieve what happened were beyond what is, in my opinion, appropriate. They needed to go in there with a scapal...they came in with a jack-hammer.

It was a power issue and that's sad.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    My view is that what happened at LC needed to happen. HOWEVER, the methods used by the board to achieve what happened were beyond what is, in my opinion, appropriate. They needed to go in there with a scapal...they came in with a jack-hammer.

It was a power issue and that's sad.
    That's a reasonably apt description of the last 25 years of SBC history. And one that is pretty sad. It's not surprising to me that few of my students even think of themselves as Baptists anymore. We've gone a long way toward pushing people toward the non-denominational churches that are dominating the evangelical landscape these days.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    There's a difference b/w knowing opposing views and being taught that those opposing views are correct. As long as LC receives money from the SBC, the board has EVERY right to have teachers sign an abstract of principles or whatever. If the professors don't want to teach in the realm of orthodoxy, they should find another place to teach. If your friends think LC is a joke, they should go somewhere else.
    Technically, LBC not SBC, but I generally agree that asking teachers to sign a general abstract of principles is fine. The trouble is that those who are controlling the SBC (and LBC currently) can't seem to stop at the basics. They constantly make the issue about specifics that undermine the point of education.

The kind of limitations that current leadership are putting in place would have made it possible to fire T. B. Maston from SWBTS in the 60s when he was having the audacity to suggest (in complete disagreement with most paying Southern Baptists) that churches should support equal rights for blacks and whites and should reject segregation.

I talked with an accounting prof at LC a couple of years ago. I was basically trying to recruit her away since I figured that most all the faculty would be willing to leave given what was going on. She had already taken another job before I even talked to her though. Somehow I don't really think she was a liberal who needed to be driven out. Probably, LC lost a good (and extremely hard to replace) faculty member because of the silliness.

Technically, LBC not SBC, but I generally agree that asking teachers to sign a general abstract of principles is fine. The trouble is that those who are controlling the SBC (and LBC currently) can't seem to stop at the basics. They constantly make the issue about specifics that undermine the point of education.
    Could you give me examples?

+ Reply to Thread