+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LC Law School????

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Re: LC Law School????

Quote Originally Posted by 9701Dawg View Post
    Especially in Louisiana, a state that is already overly saturated with attorneys.
    9701 - you may be able to discuss this issue better than me: for those trained in the civil law, is it even more difficult to pursue employment in common law jurisdictions?
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    To refocus the discussion: what kind of professional degrees would be strategic for TECH to offer and why?

While I think it would be interesting for TECH to offer a JD, I think there are high barriers to entry in this educational field.
    My personal favorite would be a vet school since we have such a great pre-vet program. But...I'm afraid we'd get the big axe from the evil empire down south. We are already offering a Doctorate in Audiology...that's a step.

I think one of the most underserved professions is Optometry. The nearest schools to Tech are in Houston, Birmingham, and Memphis. it could be great for the State and for Tech.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    I think one of the most underserved professions is Optometry. The nearest schools to Tech are in Houston, Birmingham, and Memphis. it could be great for the State and for Tech.
    Great idea!

Champ 9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough 9701Dawg's Avatar

To refocus the discussion: what kind of professional degrees would be strategic for TECH to offer and why?

While I think it would be interesting for TECH to offer a JD, I think there are high barriers to entry in this educational field.
    I think medicine would be great for Tech.

1. The demand for doctors will only increase as people live longer and with the coming retirement age of the baby-boom generation.

2. The practice of medicine could be closely linked with some of the research that Tech offers, especially biomed/nanotech.

3. Doctors make more than lawyers, which could mean greater donations to Tech from these alumni.
    Last edited by 9701Dawg; 06-11-2007 at 04:20 PM.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    Great idea!
    Start-up costs would be high, but we could start relatively small. Maybe Mr. Davison could put it in our future governor's ear.

Champ 9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough 9701Dawg's Avatar

9701 - you may be able to discuss this issue better than me: for those trained in the civil law, is it even more difficult to pursue employment in common law jurisdictions?
    I don't think civil law is the barrier. Most attorneys I've spoken to that practice outside of LA want you to be able to pass the bar of their respective state. I haven't heard them state that a civil law education is inferior to a common law education.

However, it can be more difficult to find a job outside of the state that you graduated from. For instance, firms in Texas can biased towards hiring attorneys that graduated from in-state.

Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9701Dawg View Post
    I think medicine would be great for Tech.

1. The demand for doctors will only increase as people live longer and with the coming retirement age of the baby-boom generation.

2. The practice of medicine could be closely linked with some of the research that Tech offers, especially biomed/nanotech.

3. Doctors make more than lawyers, which could mean greater donations to Tech from these alumni.
    I'm not sure how realistic it will be to have a medical school. It would have to be seen as the medical school of the entire University of Louisiana System and it would probably have to be in South LA because Ruston or Monroe don't have to population to sustain a medschool and Shreveport has LSUHSC-Shreveport already.

LSU premeds are fairly arrogant and you would probably only get those who couldn't get into either of LSU's schools. I'm not sure if the UL system schools can sustain a school with solid students.

Quote Originally Posted by THEarmada View Post
    I'm not sure how realistic it will be to have a medical school. It would have to be seen as the medical school of the entire University of Louisiana System and it would probably have to be in South LA because Ruston or Monroe don't have to population to sustain a medschool and Shreveport has LSUHSC-Shreveport already.

LSU premeds are fairly arrogant and you would probably only get those who couldn't get into either of LSU's schools. I'm not sure if the UL system schools can sustain a school with solid students.
    A lack of quality students doesn't concern me. What will kill any chance of Tech getting a med-school is the legislature. I think Monroe could support the school, but then Tech wouldn't have naming rights on it. It would become ULHSC.

Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar

A lack of quality students doesn't concern me. What will kill any chance of Tech getting a med-school is the legislature. I think Monroe could support the school, but then Tech wouldn't have naming rights on it. It would become ULHSC.
    I'm not sure how many quality students are left after the LSUs take their cut (which they would for a while until a new school developed a reputation). I don't see Monroe providing enough clinical opportunities, but maybe. One thought would be to do what A&M does. First two years could be in Ruston with the last two (largely clinical) in Baton Rouge.

Quote Originally Posted by THEarmada View Post
    I'm not sure how many quality students are left after the LSUs take their cut (which they would for a while until a new school developed a reputation). I don't see Monroe providing enough clinical opportunities, but maybe. One thought would be to do what A&M does. First two years could be in Ruston with the last two (largely clinical) in Baton Rouge.
    With the surrounding states, we'd be able to fill with quality students. There's no way that Texas places all their worthy students...same for Arkansas and Mississippi.

But...the state government would never allow it.

Champ LT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the rough

you don't understand inerrancy...and, from the sound of things, you have no desire to.

No one is forcing anyone to go to LC.
    Who said someone was forcing someone to go to LC?

When you realize the complications of believing in inerrancy it's pretty sobering. You're attempting to believe that something you've never seen before is the word of God. Even if you were able to produce such a text you probably couldn't read it since you likely don't know the ancient languages. One also has to keep in mind that we create as we read and create even more when we translate.
    ________
    Sick From Avandia
    Last edited by LT; 05-05-2011 at 12:58 AM.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Last time I checked there is a LSUHC already in Monroe.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Med schools seem problematic because of the necessity of proximity to a "teaching hospital." Where are the dental schools in LA?
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Quote Originally Posted by LT View Post
    Who said someone was forcing someone to go to LC?

When you realize the complications of believing in inerrancy it's pretty sobering. You're attempting to believe that something you've never seen before is the word of God. Even if you were able to produce such a text you probably couldn't read it since you likely don't know the ancient languages. One also has to keep in mind that we create as we read and create even more when we translate.

Believe me, I fully understand the complications of believing in inerrancy. Perhaps you're not aware of the intellectual dishonesty required to say that some "god" created heaven and earth from nothing, but was unable to produce an inerrant letter.

I don't think you understand the meaning (at least the meaning used by the orthodox church) of inerrancy.

Further, I bet I know more about the ancient languages than you think.

Med schools seem problematic because of the necessity of proximity to a "teaching hospital." Where are the dental schools in LA?
    I don't know, but dentists make crazy money.

+ Reply to Thread