+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ebay . . .

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: ebay . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Rickeydad View Post
    Just curious...when did Tech become Tech instead of La Poly? My dad went in the 50s and I think it was La Poly back then. The ticket is for 1938. Just makes me wonder.
    I believe 1970 was the first year of TECH.

2006 Bowl Confidence Champion firedog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nice firedog's Avatar

Just curious...when did Tech become Tech instead of La Poly? My dad went in the 50s and I think it was La Poly back then. The ticket is for 1938. Just makes me wonder.
    The dates for the school and names are here http://www.latech.edu/specialcollections/about.shtml

1970 is correct!

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

My understanding is that from the LollyPolly days on the school was called "Louisiana Tech," so the ticket could be legit. The fact that we already had some recognition as "Louisiana Tech" is the reason that F. Jay wanted to just go to "Louisiana Tech University" when we were granted doctoral degree-granting status (and hence the monicker "University").

It's like Ga Tech today. If you buy a ticket it says "Georgia Tech" even though the official name is "Georgia Institute of Technology." Better yet, Va Tech is still "Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University."

Anyway, the name itself does not suggest illegitimacy.

I was wondering, did we win the game?

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaDawg View Post
    Here's a 1999 basketball championship ring for sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1999-LOUISIANA-T...QQcmdZViewItem

BASKETBALL and CHAMPIONSHIP in the same sentence?

Varsity Bulldog Rockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the ears Rockett's Avatar

It was referred to as Louisiana Tech even when it was officially called Louisiana Polytechnic Institute. I may be a year or so off, but the official change to Louisiana Tech University came around 1971. It was while I was enrolled and I got my bachelor's in 1973.

Galen Rockett

Champ CutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to behold

Well, this may all be a bit of "how you look at it." My 1970 Lagniappe says Louisiana Polytechnic Institute. My 1971 Lagniappe says on the front page, "And this is the yearbook of Louisiana Tech University...1971." So it probably changed in the fall of 1970, which would have a 1971 Lagniappe. That was Tech's 75th anniversary. I was a junior at the time.

Champ CutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to behold

OK, I managed to read the top of that first page I referred to above. "Gov. John J. McKeithen signed a bill on June 23, 1970, proclaiming Louisiana Tech University as the new name of Louisiana Polytechnic Institute." Ground was broken for Wyly Tower on May 22, 1970, to be completed in November of 1972. Just thought I'd throw that last part in since it was on the next pages of the '71 Lagniappe.

Varsity Bulldog Rockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the ears Rockett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CutiePie72 View Post
    Well, this may all be a bit of "how you look at it." My 1970 Lagniappe says Louisiana Polytechnic Institute. My 1971 Lagniappe says on the front page, "And this is the yearbook of Louisiana Tech University...1971." So it probably changed in the fall of 1970, which would have a 1971 Lagniappe. That was Tech's 75th anniversary. I was a junior at the time.
    And I was a sophomore !! There were several cutie pies when I was enrolled. Which one were you?

Galen Rockett

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Rockett View Post
    And I was a sophomore !! There were several cutie pies when I was enrolled. Which one were you?

Galen Rockett

I was a freshman in 71 and found me one of those cutie pies and am still with her. :icon_wink:

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    My understanding is that from the LollyPolly days on the school was called "Louisiana Tech," so the ticket could be legit. The fact that we already had some recognition as "Louisiana Tech" is the reason that F. Jay wanted to just go to "Louisiana Tech University" when we were granted doctoral degree-granting status (and hence the monicker "University").

It's like Ga Tech today. If you buy a ticket it says "Georgia Tech" even though the official name is "Georgia Institute of Technology." Better yet, Va Tech is still "Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University."

Anyway, the name itself does not suggest illegitimacy.

I was wondering, did we win the game?
    No. We lost 27-7.

Champ Poisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the rough Poisso3's Avatar
    Ellisville, MO (30 miles West of St. Louis)

When I was a football manager, our storage room in the TAC held a large trunk that still have LA Polytechnic painted on the side. I don't know if it was true or not, but there was a powder blue #12 in there that was said to be TB's old jersey, and it was later put in the TB display in the new addition to the field house.

Oh, and I have a very old Tech pin (1930s/early 40s) that says La. TECH on it, so Tech was called as such way back then, so the ticket could be real. The only way to know if it is real is to see what other tickets from Old Miss look like from that season...

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    No. We lost 27-7.
    Figured as much.

Darn it - another game where we didn't make half time adjustments.

Oh, by the way, I did win the bidding for the ticket. Whoever else never bid on it again. I am now the proud owner of a 1938 Louisiana Tech vs Ole Miss football game ticket.

Galen Rockett

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

I was watching. Congrats (and I'm a little jealous) ..Ross
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

+ Reply to Thread