+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need your help branding Tech

Champ Tech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to behold Tech78's Avatar

Re: Need your help branding Tech

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    Tech78,

Before we email him and encourage him to pursue branding, should we come up with some ideas to present to him? In other words, if we email him specific suggestions rather that just a "hey, do this." email, we might get a more favorable response, and he might get some good ideas out of the deal.

Your thoughts?
    Let me first state that I am not a marketing expert, but I do know that a good starting point is for Dr. Reneau to require that Tech representatives working Tech events wear the colors with a Tech logo of some sort. This would immediately eliminate the AD and coaches appearing at Champs functions, signing day events, press conferences, etc. in street clothes devoid of Tech colors and logos.

Other ideas that are actionable can cover quite a gamut i.e. more logos throughout the campus on buildings and/or inside buildings, all computer labs use Tech screen savers and mouse-pads, Tech banners / pictures throughout the campus buildings (visit COB building to see this being done), handout material and mailings from Tech sources should be in red/blue whenever possible (one time I attended an advisory council meeting on campus and my name tag was printed on green stock - why?).

Tech is already branding in many ways. We have room to do even better without much extra effort. Some brainstorming as you suggest is a good idea, so let's identify some in addition to what I listed above.

I will close by saying that I would like people to focus on the one thing Dr. Reneau can affect from his position - require his employees to look like Tech employees to the outside world by wearing Tech colors and logos.

Champ Tech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to behold Tech78's Avatar

Let me throw out a couple of things I have pursued on campus and some that are being considered.

1) The bottom concourse of the TAC where all the athletic offices (except football) are located and where all recruits visit was devoid of any Tech images - one big round gray wall. The AD approved having murals done on the walls for the various sports and the department. The images are posted in BBB photos area. Here is one I had done by the AD office http://www.latechbbb.com/photoplog/index.php?n=149
    2) I am on the Alumni board sub-committee for marketing the Alumni Association. We are purchasing 1000 mouse-pads that depict a picture of Champ, the state and T, and "latechalumni.com". Incoming students will receive free pads and all the computer labs in GTM will use the new pads.
    3) I am working with the College of Liberal Arts on developing interior decorating ideas that will put Tech images throughout GTM similar to what was done in COB building. Every Tech student passes through GTM. I want them to see Tech images when they use the entrances of GTM, traverse the stairs, pass through the lobby, etc. High school students throughout the region use GTM to take the ACT. How powerful will it be for them to walk in that building and feel like this is a Tech place! This plan will be developed this fall.
    4) Look at the band building. It has this huge blank brick wall that is literally screaming for a sizeable state and T with the words "Band of Pride" under it. This houses one of the best representative groups for our university, but you don't sense it from the street. I have spoken with Jim Robken to give thought to doing this signage.
    5) We need to take a critical look at all the entrances to buildings and dress them up i.e. replace all the orange garbage cans at the entrances to various buildings (they use them because no one will steal them - no lie), improve landscaping and plant trees. I am not sure how to tackle this issue. Joe Thomas is open to suggestions, but I was expecting Tech to have this "wish list" that donors could pick from. So the way I am pursuing this is the only way possible, which is to go tell them you want something done and give them money to do it - working so far, but seems unworkable in the long-term. There is more power in getting many interested people involved in these type efforts.

Examples of good things that have been done are found in the lobby areas of Wiley Tower, Hale Hall, Biomed Engineering lobby, COB auditorium and common areas, student center ballroom has great Tech pictures, etc.

Anyone interested in this type stuff, email me and we can get more done...
    Last edited by Tech78; 06-16-2007 at 04:22 AM. Reason: add picture link

Champ 9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough 9701Dawg's Avatar

I did a google search for "branding of college athletics" and saw this:

http://www.aggieathletics.com/pressR...php?PRID=12848

Looks like tamu has a branding department within the athletics department.

Also saw this site, http://www.clc.com/clcweb/publishing.../aboutclc.html, which is for the collegiate licensing company. The clc provides licensing servies to universities and it looks as if Tech is already a client.

Bulldog cic is just really nicecic is just really nicecic is just really nicecic is just really nicecic is just really nicecic is just really nicecic is just really nicecic is just really nicecic is just really nicecic is just really nicecic is just really nice cic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoDawg View Post
    There is no doubt this is lacking and I'm glad to hear it's being addressed. I love to wear anything with Tech on it. As a matter of fact I recently bought a Nike hat in red white and blue with the bulldog on front. It's a great looking hat. I wore it to one of my son's baseball game and one of the other fathers said "hey great looking hat". I of course asked if he went to Tech and he said no, he went to NSU but that it was a great looking hat. We have a great logo and great colors, we just haven't taken advantage of them in the past. It's not just a need for more things , it's a need for more quality gear.
    Do you have a picture of your hat? I have been looking for Nike-branded Tech gear. Thanks.

Bulldog cic is just really nicecic is just really nicecic is just really nicecic is just really nicecic is just really nicecic is just really nicecic is just really nicecic is just really nicecic is just really nicecic is just really nicecic is just really nice cic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech78 View Post
    Let me throw out a couple of things I have pursued on campus and some that are being considered.

1) The bottom concourse of the TAC where all the athletic offices (except football) are located and where all recruits visit was devoid of any Tech images - one big round gray wall. The AD approved having murals done on the walls for the various sports and the department. The images are posted in BBB photos area. Here is one I had done by the AD office http://www.latechbbb.com/photoplog/index.php?n=149
    2) I am on the Alumni board sub-committee for marketing the Alumni Association. We are purchasing 1000 mouse-pads that depict a picture of Champ, the state and T, and "latechalumni.com". Incoming students will receive free pads and all the computer labs in GTM will use the new pads.
    3) I am working with the College of Liberal Arts on developing interior decorating ideas that will put Tech images throughout GTM similar to what was done in COB building. Every Tech student passes through GTM. I want them to see Tech images when they use the entrances of GTM, traverse the stairs, pass through the lobby, etc. High school students throughout the region use GTM to take the ACT. How powerful will it be for them to walk in that building and feel like this is a Tech place! This plan will be developed this fall.
    4) Look at the band building. It has this huge blank brick wall that is literally screaming for a sizeable state and T with the words "Band of Pride" under it. This houses one of the best representative groups for our university, but you don't sense it from the street. I have spoken with Jim Robken to give thought to doing this signage.
    5) We need to take a critical look at all the entrances to buildings and dress them up i.e. replace all the orange garbage cans at the entrances to various buildings (they use them because no one will steal them - no lie), improve landscaping and plant trees. I am not sure how to tackle this issue. Joe Thomas is open to suggestions, but I was expecting Tech to have this "wish list" that donors could pick from. So the way I am pursuing this is the only way possible, which is to go tell them you want something done and give them money to do it - working so far, but seems unworkable in the long-term. There is more power in getting many interested people involved in these type efforts.

Examples of good things that have been done are found in the lobby areas of Wiley Tower, Hale Hall, Biomed Engineering lobby, COB auditorium and common areas, student center ballroom has great Tech pictures, etc.

Anyone interested in this type stuff, email me and we can get more done...
    I think this is a great idea and much needed on campus and elsewhere. What can I do to help? shoffner@gmail.com

Bleed Tech Blue! JAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to behold JAY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cic View Post
    I think this is a great idea and much needed on campus and elsewhere. What can I do to help? shoffner@gmail.com

hey, you gave away who you are.

it took branding to get you to fianlly post?

jason

Quote Originally Posted by JAY View Post
    hey, you gave away who you are.

it took branding to get you to fianlly post?

jason
    Well, the "big" issues are what get me excited. I like where Tech is headed, and I think others would too if they actually knew about it. That is why branding & promotion are crucial.

P.S. Congrats on Allie!!!

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech78 View Post

Now you've hatched an idea. Get rid of the orange and make really cool TECH garbage cans. Buy enough to replace 'em if they're stolen, but sell 'em. We have parish issued trash cans, but I'd still probably buy one to put something in (probably not trash!). I wish we had more of a selection of Tech things - cool things - to buy.

I'm a wee bit sick of all the LSU everything here - you can even get LSU toothbrushes. We've gotta start some place w/ some marketing. Sell the mousepads you want all over the place - we'll buy them, too! I'm using a silly memo pad as my mousepad here at home and nothing for one at the office. I'll take two!

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

We should be slapping a Tech window decal on every vehicle that parks at a football game. Just have some students in the parking lots, and as people exit thier cars ask them if they'd like a decal. Put in on there right then.

Increase visibility of the logo. The benefit would be great and the cost little.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

I was pleasantly surprised to see Tech as a headline sponsor of the Miss Louisiana Pageant broadcast Saturday night. Our log looks good on TV!

Champ CutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to behold

From other thread Saturday night:
    Quote Originally Posted by CutiePie72 View Post
    I was going to ask if any of you macho guys were watching the Miss La. pageant? I would presume not, but La. Tech is a proud sponsor of it. Dr. Reneau just had a little blurp and the state T is on the sponsor page everytime they put it up. They said the pageant was on in all parts of La and maybe South Arkansas and East Texas (well I guess on a Shreveport station), but anyway there's a bit of getting Tech's name out there going on at the pageant. Has Tech ever done that before? I don't remember it if they did.

Brian96, glad to see you made that comment. I had said that Saturday (the comment was attached to a billboard comment in the billboard thread) and no one had made even a snide comment back to me. I thought they'd be glad to hear of the rather creative way that was used to get Tech's name and logo out there. Apparently I was wrong or they saw my user name and thought it wasn't worth reading.

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CutiePie72 View Post
    From other thread Saturday night:

Brian96, glad to see you made that comment. I had said that Saturday (the comment was attached to a billboard comment in the billboard thread) and no one had made even a snide comment back to me. I thought they'd be glad to hear of the rather creative way that was used to get Tech's name and logo out there. Apparently I was wrong or they saw my user name and thought it wasn't worth reading.
    probaly the later :icon_wink: . JUST KIDDINGGGGGGGGGGGG

Honestly, i had to do a double take when I saw the tech logo on the screen as the lead sponser of the pagent

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

Best logo in college athletics!

+ Reply to Thread