+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need your help branding Tech

Champ Tech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to behold Tech78's Avatar

Need your help branding Tech

I have noticed over the years that Tech representatives and a significant percentage of supporters do not wear Tech gear - something with a Tech logo and/or the colors of red/blue on a consistent basis.

The Champs event in Bossier pushed me to action on this topic. The fact that Tech representatives and fans, for the most part, were devoid of Tech gear is a symptom of Tech culture. We have not thought this important in the past, but given where Dr. Reneau says we are going; we must show the world that Tech is on the way, the place to be, we are proud, etc. When we show up at Tech events in street clothes, we must ask why? It appears we are undercover or ashamed of who we are, etc. I am only talking perceptions here, but remember that people that don't know us, can only go on impressions.

An example of the power of branding can be found by asking yourself "what do you think of when you see the colors purple and yellow together? or see orange and white with a "T"? We want people to think Tech when they see red/blue and the state and T - very powerful visuals, but they have to be displayed all the time to be effective.

An example of mis-branding can be found with the College of Engineering newsletter that I received in the mail today that was 4 pages of pictures and text trimmed in purple and yellow. My wife thought it was junk mail and everyone I showed it to at the office thought it came from lsu. No where was the state and T to be found. How is this for branding the very part of the university that Dr. Reneau wants to be the shining star! I sent him a copy of the newsletter and a short note asking "why?".

I want us to look forward here and not bash anyone for not paying attention all the time to branding. I only list these two examples to make the case so we can get people's attention and move forward with positive action.

I have sent letters to Dr. Reneau and Corre Stigall asking for their assistance in changing this condition. It is not going to be sufficient for them to hear from one lone voice. If you believe as I do, that branding Tech is a key component of moving the university, both academics and athletics, to the forefront in our state and region, please contact them both with a brief statement along the lines of "requesting that they give direction to Tech representatives to brand Tech at all Tech functions".

We have to advertise and promote to get people to notice us, buy event tickets, attend our university, grant research money, fund us at the state level, etc. Please join me and others in promoting Tech every day. Encourage your Tech friends to wear the red & blue to Tech events.
    Last edited by Tech78; 06-05-2007 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Highlighting text

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Re: Need your help branding Tech

I'm with you on that.

What will help is getting everyone on the same page with our State-T logo...I imagine the new softball scoreboard still have the messed up look'n logo. We shouldn't have this problem, we have standardized the look of it long ago.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

I found this company called SME that focus on branding http://www.smebranding.com/
    A lot of colleges have gone to them. I think Tech would benefit by hiring this company.
    Good news article on their site:(4/05) REFINING THE ATHLETICS DEPARTMENT VISUAL IDENTITY Athletics Administration

a very small list of their clients:

Baylor
    BYU
    Conference USA
    Miami University
    Rice
    Rutgers
    Tulane
    Utah Jazz
    Utah State University
    UTEP
    ULL
    University of Alabama

University of Florida
    University of North Texas
    University of Texas

What they provide (from their site)
    For over a decade SME has assisted the collegiate market with the development and communication of their brands, delivering over 150 programs. From small town colleges to major universities, we have helped grow the bottom line of client institutions.

Services:

Strategy
    Positioning
    Naming
    Athletic Identity Programs
    College and University Identity Programs
    Marketing
    Advertising
    Venue Identity
    Event Identity
    Anniversary Identity
    Championship Identity
    Graphic Standards Guidelines

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

Don't pay a dime. We have the talent onboard. Actually, just wear the correct red, white and blue Tech gear day and night. If you join a pickup team with its own colors, at least wear a Tech jock strap and add a pride pin someplace. It isn't about wearing tech colors to Tech events. Wear them everywhere, every day! Duck hunters can wear camo on the outside but with a tech camo cap!

Champ Tech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to behold Tech78's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aubunique View Post
    Don't pay a dime. We have the talent onboard. Actually, just wear the correct red, white and blue Tech gear day and night. If you join a pickup team with its own colors, at least wear a Tech jock strap and add a pride pin someplace. It isn't about wearing tech colors to Tech events. Wear them everywhere, every day! Duck hunters can wear camo on the outside but with a tech camo cap!

I agree with you on what the Tech masses should be doing to help brand Tech.

I want to emphasize the need for a requirement of Tech employees that attend Tech functions or are representing Tech anywhere, wear Tech gear. IMO, the reason the Tech culture is what it is and will not start materially changing, is due to our leaders (Tech employees - coaches, faculty, administrators) not embracing the brand consistently.
    Last edited by Tech78; 06-06-2007 at 04:46 AM. Reason: grammer

Bleed Tech Blue! JAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to behold JAY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aubunique View Post
    Don't pay a dime.

hey, now is the time to hire someone. reneau is all about hiring consutlants right now. that company looks like it would be great to help us go forward after the athletic consultants give their report.

i didnt wear my tech shirt thursday because i was at a funeral and didnt have time to change for work and went straight over to bossier. i did see what you mean, not too many people were decked out in tech gear.

A good read written by Tulane's president back in Jan '05 found on SME's website

College Presidents Must Take Charge of College Sports:
    The Chronicle Review,
    by Scott S. Cowen
    January 7, 2005
    http://www.smebranding.com/_NEWS/SME...1_12-2005.html

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by Tech78 View Post
    I have noticed over the years that Tech representatives and a significant percentage of supporters do not wear Tech gear - something with a Tech logo and/or the colors of red/blue on a consistent basis.

The Champs event in Bossier pushed me to action on this topic. The fact that Tech representatives and fans, for the most part, were devoid of Tech gear is a symptom of Tech culture. We have not thought this important in the past, but given where Dr. Reneau says we are going; we must show the world that Tech is on the way, the place to be, we are proud, etc. When we show up at Tech events in street clothes, we must ask why? It appears we are undercover or ashamed of who we are, etc. I am only talking perceptions here, but remember that people that don't know us, can only go on impressions.

An example of the power of branding can be found by asking yourself "what do you think of when you see the colors purple and yellow together? or see orange and white with a "T"? We want people to think Tech when they see red/blue and the state and T - very powerful visuals, but they have to be displayed all the time to be effective.

An example of mis-branding can be found with the College of Engineering newsletter that I received in the mail today that was 4 pages of pictures and text trimmed in purple and yellow. My wife thought it was junk mail and everyone I showed it to at the office thought it came from lsu. No where was the state and T to be found. How is this for branding the very part of the university that Dr. Reneau wants to be the shining star! I sent him a copy of the newsletter and a short note asking "why?".

I want us to look forward here and not bash anyone for not paying attention all the time to branding. I only list these two examples to make the case so we can get people's attention and move forward with positive action.

I have sent letters to Dr. Reneau and Corre Stigall asking for their assistance in changing this condition. It is not going to be sufficient for them to hear from one lone voice. If you believe as I do, that branding Tech is a key component of moving the university, both academics and athletics, to the forefront in our state and region, please contact them both with a brief statement along the lines of "requesting that they give direction to Tech representatives to brand Tech at all Tech functions".

We have to advertise and promote to get people to notice us, buy event tickets, attend our university, grant research money, fund us at the state level, etc. Please join me and others in promoting Tech every day. Encourage your Tech friends to wear the red & blue to Tech events.
    I agree - even though I was not in Tech gear atleast I was able to remember to pull a red, white and blue shirt out of the closet that morning knowing I had committee meetings and such all day long....

Tech77 and myself discuss this all the time at various places we go - sport your gear whether its a cap, shirt, belt or whatever -

You will get comments -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Big Dog Rickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    sport your gear whether its a cap, shirt, belt or whatever
    Like this?

http://www.latechbbb.com/photoplog/file.php?n=345&w=l

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

We all want to spread the brand, but some of us just can't as much as you might want. However, as an executive director of a non-profit I am paid to spread another brand -- the Boys & Girls Clubs of America "knuckles".
    Otherwise, in my spare time I sport as much of the Tech logo as I can.
    tm
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    We all want to spread the brand, but some of us just can't as much as you might want. However, as an executive director of a non-profit I am paid to spread another brand -- the Boys & Girls Clubs of America "knuckles".
    Otherwise, in my spare time I sport as much of the Tech logo as I can.
    tm
    Thanks for doing what you can. Many of us have other worthy groups to help brand and should. I wore my Rotary shirt today when I visited the Bunkie Rotary Club as an example. I wear shirts with my employer's logo because I am proud of the company and what we do. We want Tech supporters to tell the world often that they are proud to be associated with a great institution.

The following is where my concern lies, because if the employees aren't leading the way, why should we? I know the answer, but I often wonder if many of them do?

I want to emphasize the need for a requirement of Tech employees that attend Tech functions or are representing Tech anywhere, wear Tech gear. IMO, the reason the Tech culture is what it is and will not start materially changing, is due to our leaders (Tech employees - coaches, faculty, administrators) not embracing the brand consistently.

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Rickeydad View Post
    That's pretty weak branding. I see three kids without logos and a stroller. That's alot of vacant space.

Bump, bump. I got a note today from Dr. Reneau in response to my recent letter. He agrees with the need for "branding" Tech and said it is on his list of things to address.

Saying that, I think it is more important than ever for him to hear from the Tech support base about the importance of this and branding needs to be addressed now so that it coincides with all the other good things going on at Tech.

A short note to him is all that is needed.

Thanks in advance for the support.

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

There is no doubt this is lacking and I'm glad to hear it's being addressed. I love to wear anything with Tech on it. As a matter of fact I recently bought a Nike hat in red white and blue with the bulldog on front. It's a great looking hat. I wore it to one of my son's baseball game and one of the other fathers said "hey great looking hat". I of course asked if he went to Tech and he said no, he went to NSU but that it was a great looking hat. We have a great logo and great colors, we just haven't taken advantage of them in the past. It's not just a need for more things , it's a need for more quality gear.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Tech78,

Before we email him and encourage him to pursue branding, should we come up with some ideas to present to him? In other words, if we email him specific suggestions rather that just a "hey, do this." email, we might get a more favorable response, and he might get some good ideas out of the deal.

Your thoughts?

+ Reply to Thread