+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Union Board Learned Its Lesson Yet

Puppy bulldawgdude305 is an unknown

Has Union Board Learned Its Lesson Yet

After last year's Spring concert, you would have think they would have come up with a better concert than this years, but I'm wrong. How in the world do you only get 250 people show up? I know I wasn't here for these, but how do you go from getting bands like The Eagles, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, Jimmy Buffett, Better Than Ezra, Nickelback, 3 Doors Down, 3 Days Grace, and many others to The Cool Kids? Why in the world would Union Board schedule a band for the biggest event of the year on campus that nobody has even heard of??? What happened???

Varsity Bulldog solo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the rough

Re: Has Union Board Learned Its Lesson Yet

I remember going to see the wallflowers and there weren't 800 people there. Embarrassing. I don't think there's nearly enough promotion for the shows. Maybe things have changed but there needs to be billboards or print ads in the surrounding areas because a lack of crowd REALLY effects the performance from the bands. I also remember the bsu protesting the 3 Doors Down show because of the MTV Campus Invasion Palm Readers. damn satanists need not be reading palms in ruston i guess.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by solo1001 View Post
    I remember going to see the wallflowers and there weren't 800 people there. Embarrassing. I don't think there's nearly enough promotion for the shows. Maybe things have changed but there needs to be billboards or print ads in the surrounding areas because a lack of crowd REALLY effects the performance from the bands. I also remember the bsu protesting the 3 Doors Down show because of the MTV Campus Invasion Palm Readers. damn satanists need not be reading palms in ruston i guess.
    I would protest it just because it's 3 Doors Down. Commercial rock music sucks...they are up there with cheesy-ness of Creed, Matchbox 20, and Nickelback.

I thought college kids were into indie/classic/jamband/folk rock music...sorta like stuff you hear at a Bonnnaroo or Austin City Limit festival. Example Ben Harper, Dave Matthews, Phish, Gov't Mule, Wilco, etc.

Varsity Bulldog solo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    I would protest it just because it's 3 Doors Down. Commercial rock music sucks...they are up there with cheesy-ness of Creed, Matchbox 20, and Nickelback.

I thought college kids were into indie/classic/jamband/folk rock music...sorta like stuff you hear at a Bonnnaroo or Austin City Limit festival. Example Ben Harper, Dave Matthews, Phish, Gov't Mule, Wilco, etc.
    I hate to admit this but I went to 3 Doors Down last month because I thought my wife would enjoy it as opposed to going to see G Love at the Riverdome. We both thought they sucked and left. I have to say Hoobastank was good as the opener though. DMB is always a good show but I don't know how popular they are with the college kids anymore. There's just something about sitting out on the lawn and a big ampitheater listening to a jam band with the stars out. Brings back memories. I could do without the hippie chicks though.

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post

No, thats what the people on Union Board like. The rest of campus likes real music.

Big Dog jlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the rough jlam's Avatar

At least we got Mitch before he OD'd. :shrug:

Quote Originally Posted by jlam View Post
    i was out of town that week so I went and caught him in Dallas instead. I talked to a lot of people in Ruston who didn't "get it" and thought he was terrible. I promptly punched them in the face. I've never laughed so hard in my life and for the most part he was clean. Smacky the Frog and frozen bananas will always have a place in my heart.

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

This has been a problem for years. I remember the Flock of Seagulls performing at Howard Auditorium in front of about 100 people. They eventually walked off the stage.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bulldawgdude305 View Post
    After last year's Spring concert, you would have think they would have come up with a better concert than this years, but I'm wrong. How in the world do you only get 250 people show up? I know I wasn't here for these, but how do you go from getting bands like The Eagles, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, Jimmy Buffett, Better Than Ezra, Nickelback, 3 Doors Down, 3 Days Grace, and many others to The Cool Kids? Why in the world would Union Board schedule a band for the biggest event of the year on campus that nobody has even heard of??? What happened???
    Wait!?! You think The Eagles and Nickelback are good?
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

I never said I liked them...actually I hate Nickelback. The point is that those are band that are going to bring large numbers because they are very well known and a majority of campus likes them. For a big concert like the spring concert, you want to bring in a big name...not someone that you have to explain who they are.

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jlam View Post
    When was Hedberg here?

Champ LATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by bulldawgdude305 View Post
    No, thats what the people on Union Board like. The rest of campus likes real music.
    Winner. 3 Days grace is pitiful.

Bring on Dave, and hold it off campus so the kids can drink.

I guess Tech pretty much has to grab people that are on the way up like Nickelback, Goo Goo Dolls, Tonic, Alien Ant Farm etc so the can afford them. As nice as it would be, I doubt they could get DMB to come anywhere near Ruston

Varsity Bulldog dmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the rough

The last good show was Ben Folds. I don't think its just a Tech problem though. Good bands are getting more expensive, not less. I'm not defending UB. They need to do better. Its our money they're using, after all.

Big Dog jlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the rough jlam's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skilldawg View Post
    When was Hedberg here?
    October '04 I think. Less than six months before he died.

And Solo is right, there were plenty of people there that didn't "get it", but I suspect that was the case with pretty much all of Mitch's shows and he even acknowledged such in several interviews of his. It's one of the reasons he always did shows with his eyes shut nearly the entire time - he didn't like seeing the people in the audience that weren't laughing.

+ Reply to Thread