+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone here brew their own Beer???

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

Anyone here brew their own Beer???

I'm thinking about getting into home brewing and wonder if anyone here does this sort of thing and could offer some suggestions.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Re: Anyone here brew their own Beer???

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoDawg View Post
    I'm thinking about getting into home brewing and wonder if anyone here does this sort of thing and could offer some suggestions.
    I used to, but was never really an expert. I think I might have made 4 or 5 batches total. I was never a beer drinker, but I liked home brew. I just didn't drink enough beer to keep making. In fact, I used to bring some to the tailgates. However, to answer your question, I believe Marketdawg can fill your ears (or pm box) with all the information and suggestions you can handle. Heck, just have him post it on here so any others interested can follow along.

Big Dog LTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the rough LTUIronDawg's Avatar

Share!!!

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

I bought a home wine-making kit once; but, after reading the instructions I never used it. Too much "work", jmo. Never had much interest re home brewing, as I'm not a beer lover. Sorry, no suggestions, but GOOD LUCK ! ! ! ! !

Reminds me. When I was at LA Tech, you could buy a fifth of Gallo Tokay (Tokay is O.K. was the saying) at Moon's for 50 cents and a cup of ice for a nickle. Pretty cheap entertainment, jmo.
    Last edited by nadB; 06-07-2007 at 11:15 PM. Reason: spellimg

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nadB View Post
    I bought a home wine-making kit once; but, after reading the instructions I never used it. Too much "work", jmo. Never had much interest re home brewing, as I'm not a beer lover. Sorry, no suggestions, but GOOD LUCK ! ! ! ! !

Reminds me. When I was at LA Tech, you could buy a fifth of Gallo Tokay (Tokay is O.K. was the saying) at Moon's for 50 cents and a cup of ice for a nickle. Pretty cheap entertainment, jmo.

LOL, yeah we I drank my share of Shavers and Keystone back in the day. I've got "Home Brewing For Dummies" and there are some good tips in there. I was wondering if someone that actually brewed a batch could fill me in on the pitfalls, hidded expenses, joys, etc. Looks like you can get a pretty decent starter kit for not a lot of money.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

LOL, yeah we I drank my share of Shavers and Keystone back in the day. I've got "Home Brewing For Dummies" and there are some good tips in there. I was wondering if someone that actually brewed a batch could fill me in on the pitfalls, hidded expenses, joys, etc. Looks like you can get a pretty decent starter kit for not a lot of money.
    I'll tell you this. Unless things have changed, you'd have to get your own bottles. Some places that sell the kits sell bottles as well. I guess it depends on what comes in your kit. When I bought my kit years ago, it only came with the two buckets, lids, vent, ingredients, and instructions to make 1 batch. I had to buy the pot, the capping supplies and the bottles separately. It still wasn't very expensive from what I remember. Like I said, though, I think Marketdawg homebrews rather often, so he can probably teach a class on it. Oh, and don't be discouraged by the sediment at the bottom of the bottles. It won't hurt you.

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

YEEEEHAWWWWWW!!!!!! Check out my user profile! I've been proudly brewing for some time now! http://www.midwestsupplies.com/ Here is a link to a website that sells brewing kits. I suggest the full meal deal or the kit that has everything: kegs, CO2 bottle, evrything you need. This site will work for you unless you live in a town that has a retail source for this equipment or there is a guy just outside of Shreveport that I can get you in touch with for all of your homebrew needs. Will happily share any info with you. You will be absolutely amazed how much better your homebrew will taste compared to storebought crap. I have plenty of easy to follow recipes for lagers/IPA's/Ales etc. Congrats on starting to brew your own. I've mentored several guys here in Shreveport and they are still going strong. Thanks Jimmy carter! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homebrewing
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

You don't have to bottle. I use small kegs and it cuts out a lot of the fermentation process and keeps . I can brew 15 gallons in a day and it can be ready to drink in exactly 2 weeks. I don't know anybody that bottles anymore. You simply draw beer off of the keg and put it in a growler for transport. If you really want to be cool at your next gathering show up with a five gallon cornelious keg of beer . You can get a kit that pressurizes and carbonates using a smal CO2 canister (like the kind used in paintball/BB guns). Gonzo, just saw that you're in Bossier. I'll hook you up with the "Unadrunker" or Bob Carbone in Grand Cane. He is a nationally recognized hombrewer/supplier of equipment. I've got some extra equipment you can have. We'll have you brewing in no time!

Market, I was waiting for you to chime in. I've heard you were the guy on this stuff. As far as recipes go I was thinking about trying a Marzen. I'm assuming that there are levels of difficulty when it comes to what I should attempt. Also from what I have read the most difficult part of the process seems to the the sterilization of the equipment. How do you accomplish that?

They have one-step sanitizers that work by oxidation now..no rinsing. It's a piece of cake. Almost all homebrewing now is extract brewing so a Marzen is just as easy as an IPA, stout, cream ale or whatever you want to brew. The lagers are the most difficult to ferment as lagering a beer is done at a constant, lower temp (I've found an easy way to do this as well). Light and excess heat are your enemies on any batch of beer. Keep asking any questions you want and I'll be happy to answer.
    I'm not brewing anything this week but I'll pm you on the next batch brew and you can come over to help. There are usually a couple of guys wanting to help brew..especially if I already have one on tap. If you'd like to meet Bob Carbone I'll take you out there next time I go or I can get you in touch with him. It's pretty cool to watch him grind your malt and see, smell all the ingredients that go into your brews, plus he usually has 6 to 8 brews on tap at all times that you can sample while you're there. Bob has all the computer software to get your Marzen recipe and step by step instructions for you.

I'm in. I'm planning on getting a second refrigerator for my garage, would that work for storage? I'd really like to be there when you brew the next batch. Once I have seen something done it really helps getting started. I'll be ready to get whatever supplies I need. I've been planning this since last Christmas when my wife bought me the book. I have the perfect woman, she loves the smell of beer on my breath. She doesn't even drink beer, she's a wine or cocktail drinker. Anyway all that sounds like a blast. Just keep me posted and I will make plans to be there when you brew, or if you go to see Bob Carbone let me know.

2nd fridge is great. Tell your wife that you can make her some wine as well. I've made some merlot and a nice peach chardonnay (nohing fancy but the peach made some nice spritzers for my wife's bunko group. Making wine is a lot easier than the beer and it tastes pretty good . Brewing truly is a great hobby and I look forward to helping you get started.

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg View Post
    2nd fridge is great. Tell your wife that you can make her some wine as well. I've made some merlot and a nice peach chardonnay (nohing fancy but the peach made some nice spritzers for my wife's bunko group. Making wine is a lot easier than the beer and it tastes pretty good . Brewing truly is a great hobby and I look forward to helping you get started.
    Bunko? Do you know the names of your wife's bunko mates? I'm wondering if my ex might be one of them. Although, I guess that's probably a pretty popular thing.

There all older women Dirty....my wife is really just an alternate in her mother's bunko group.

Champ shreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of light shreveportdawg's Avatar

I have a new still in the box Mr. Beer kit in the attic if anyone wants it. In think it has all the ingredients to make the first batch in the box.

+ Reply to Thread