+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RUMOR: Target in Ruston?

2006 Bowl Confidence Champion firedog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nice firedog's Avatar

Re: RUMOR: Target in Ruston?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    I really don't get Walgreen's setting up directly across the street from Rite Aid. If they pull that off then I see no reason Target couldn't survive here.

I think Target could hack it anyway. There are a lot of people ready to ditch Wal-Mart if there were an alternative. I can see a lot of people making the rounds--hitting both Target and Wal-Mart while they are out.
    I have heard that from several people. I know people that do a lot of shopping Monroe at Target and wished there was one here.

Quote Originally Posted by LTUIronDawg View Post
    I heard that a Hilton and Outback are going to be built by Dowling's BBQ. Dr. Armstrong from Monroe owns that property. There was a house on that property that was going to be torn down. He let us have it. We moved it over by Ruston High. The guys that were doing the land clearing said that there was going to be a Hilton, Outback and some kind of strip mall.
    Samething I have heard.

Big Dog Pitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the rough Pitcherjlt's Avatar

I can confirm the hotel -- any other restaurants that you hear about going around or behind Dowling's is COMPLETE speculation. Dr. Armstrong and his partnership group have talked to many different restaurant chains (national and others from north Louisiana) but none have purchased land or made a definite commitment yet. He usually calls me once or twice a month or so and fills me in on who he has talked to and sometimes asks for my opinion.

I personally believe only when I see them break ground and put the "coming soon" sign up. Things in the restaurant business can change very quickly.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Ruston is plenty big enough to support a Target.

The key is to get people INTO downtown, though. Ruston will lose a lot if everything builds by the Interstate. Although, continued growth in that area is inevitable, I hope Ruston pushes the downtown area as a destination. Otherwise, the town will lose its character - like so many towns all over the country.

Future growth of the town depends on places taking a chance and building - supplying jobs.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post

The key is to get people INTO downtown, though. Ruston will lose a lot if everything builds by the Interstate. Although, continued growth in that area is inevitable, I hope Ruston pushes the downtown area as a destination. Otherwise, the town will lose its character - like so many towns all over the country.

Future growth of the town depends on places taking a chance and building - supplying jobs.
    First we need more high paying jobs in Ruston. At this point, I don't think a major commercial store like Target can survive in Ruston. A business park would be a wonderful investment for the community if you want to see growth happen.

If we can bring in higher paying jobs to Ruston, then the service and retail business will come pouring in.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

I wonder if there has been discussion lately about a 167 bypass around Ruston. I imagine it's been squelched quickly, if the subject has even arisen.
    tm
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ TulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her game TulsaDawg's Avatar

Otherwise, the town will lose its character - like so many towns all over the country.
    Take it from someone who was born and raised in Ruston ( a few years ago) - - Ruston has already lost much of its character.
    Go Tech!

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    I agree with some that Target won't survive in Ruston...due to current population and Wal-Mart

What I wish be done is more investment in downtown Ruston..local dining and entertainment would be nice. I hope one day we can see a big push to revitalize the area...example el dorado. Things I would like to see Ruston do first about downtown...bury the electric line, install brick paved street, and landscape (plant trees, bushes, etc).

I don't know how many of you been to fredericksburg, tx...it's something that I wish Ruston would look like.
    Fredericksburg and the surrounding area is awesome. My wife and I go down there a couple of times each year. Beautiful part of the country. I am only 34 and I already know that is where I want to retire.

Champ LEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud of LEEDAWG's Avatar

Is it a population thing or a personal preference thing? If my wife needs something and she has a Target and a WalMart right in front of her, she will go to the Target. If for some reason Target doesn't have what she is looking for then she will go to the WalMart.

I would think there are plenty of Rustonians and near-by Lincoln parish residents who will gladly like to NOT have to step foot in WalMart anymore.

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaDawg View Post
    Take it from someone who was born and raised in Ruston ( a few years ago) - - Ruston has already lost much of its character.

I don't understand this, I don't think Ruston has "lost" it's character but it has changed, just like any community it either grows and changes or stagnates and dies. My grandparents live about an hour north of San Antonio on the Guadalupe River and there was no one out there once you passed the city limits now there are subdivisions and neighborhoods almost all the way out. They griped at first but then they got an HEB near them and realized they didn't have to drive an hour to get groceries.

Some people don't like change, my advice is to realize the only thing constant is change and make the best of it.

Big Dog Dawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to behold Dawgbert's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    I don't know how many of you been to fredericksburg, tx...it's something that I wish Ruston would look like.

Ruston could use a great brew pub like the one in Fredericksburg.

Varsity Bulldog dawg68 is a glorious beacon of lightdawg68 is a glorious beacon of lightdawg68 is a glorious beacon of lightdawg68 is a glorious beacon of lightdawg68 is a glorious beacon of lightdawg68 is a glorious beacon of lightdawg68 is a glorious beacon of lightdawg68 is a glorious beacon of lightdawg68 is a glorious beacon of lightdawg68 is a glorious beacon of lightdawg68 is a glorious beacon of light

Speaking of "brew" , it is ironic that the ONLY beer keg manufacturing facility in the U.S. is now or soon will be in Ruston. This is or will be a division of the Franke sink manufacturing plant.

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GermDawg View Post
    I don't understand this, I don't think Ruston has "lost" it's character but it has changed, just like any community it either grows and changes or stagnates and dies. My grandparents live about an hour north of San Antonio on the Guadalupe River and there was no one out there once you passed the city limits now there are subdivisions and neighborhoods almost all the way out. They griped at first but then they got an HEB near them and realized they didn't have to drive an hour to get groceries.

Some people don't like change, my advice is to realize the only thing constant is change and make the best of it.
    what is sometimes amazing to me is folks that dont live in Ruston telling those of us that do, what we should be or what we need.

If you refer to the "character of ruston", well, it used to be a sleepy little town with a college in it. No, there wasnt a ton to do but maybe that was its charm. I dont really know. Now there are those that should be happy because of the growth they demanded, but now, they say, Ruston has lost it character. Am i excited about the growth, dang striaght. Do I think Rustons lost it charm, heck no. I kind of think its the people that make the place, and that being, i think Ruston still has all its charm and all its character that it ever did.

I want and choose to live in Ruston for what it is. I dont want to live in a Ruston modeled after a Bossier, Monroe or Alexandria.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by LEEDAWG View Post
    Is it a population thing or a personal preference thing? If my wife needs something and she has a Target and a WalMart right in front of her, she will go to the Target. If for some reason Target doesn't have what she is looking for then she will go to the WalMart.

I would think there are plenty of Rustonians and near-by Lincoln parish residents who will gladly like to NOT have to step foot in WalMart anymore.
    I will always go to Target first, as well. I don't like WalMart at all. Super Targets are even better. I can get most everything I need there on one trip.

Ruston will grow and will change. The only choice in the matter is WHAT it grows into. If it grows into a town that looks like a strip shopping center outside Dallas, then it loses its character. I don't live in Ruston, but I love the town. If there were more opportunities there, I would possibly move back.

I bought a house way out in the country (or what I thought was) in Texas when I moved here from New Orleans. The appeal was some acreage and space. I now am surrounded by subdivisions and strip centers. It looks nice and ordinary. Tyler grew this way. The good thing is that my property value tripled. The bad news is that I didn't want to live in town. If I am going to live in town, I would rather move back to New Orleans where there are things to do. That holds an advantage - this really doesn't. Tyler is getting large, but is still a very dull place for me. Sorry fellow Tylerites.

Back to Ruston - I hope that downtown becomes the center of activity again. Looks like a few places have had some success down there. If that is the center of activity and the buildings aren't left abandoned, then all will be well. When I visit, I hit all the places that I can't go here at home - Blue Light Cafe, Cresent City Coffee, Frothy Monkey, Ponchatoulas, etc... The Outbacks, Targets, Applebees, etc. of the world are a dime a dozen. Great to have them close by, but can take away from the town core.

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

I will always go to Target first, as well. I don't like WalMart at all. Super Targets are even better. I can get most everything I need there on one trip.
    you must not need crickets or worms . . .

+ Reply to Thread