+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soccer - USA Men's National Team

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Soccer - USA Men's National Team

First, let me say that Landon Donovan has been fabulous this spring (and now summer). I was highly critical of his play in last year's World Cup, so I want to acknowledge his superior play in 2007. Now, it is true that these teams: Guatamala, El Salvador, etc... are not on the same level as Italy and Czech. but, still, they are national teams and Donovan did score two against Mexico recently, and they are a legitimately good international side. So, WTG Landon!

I want to see Eddie Johnson 100% healthy and fit too!

There is a real youth movement on and the new coach Bob Bradley (???) is doing a fine job. Looks good for US to repeat as Gold Cup champs and I think the Confederation Cup, even if we draw Brazil in our group, looks very good too.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Re: Soccer - USA Men's National Team

I was thinking the same thing 80. I think Bradley is doing a hell of a job. My man Clint Dempsey keeps getting better and better as well. Did you see his no look pass yesterday on that last goal?

We should win this Gold Cup.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    We should win this Gold Cup.
    no offense, but us soccer has come so far in the past decade that there's no "should" when i think about the gold cup. it's an expectation and anything less is a major disappointment.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    no offense, but us soccer has come so far in the past decade that there's no "should" when i think about the gold cup. it's an expectation and anything less is a major disappointment.
    That is true. But, this is still sports and sometimes upsets happen. Especially if the favorite assumes they have it in the bag and lose focus!! A properly focused and motivated US team will win the Gold Cup....period.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Well I agree except it hasn't been happening consistently. Since '91 we have only won this tourney 3 times. We won the last one in '05 (albeit on a shootout) but finished a dissapointing 3rd in 2003. In 2000 we didn't even finish in the top 4.

We are definitely on the upswing and I feel really good about where we are heading, but a Gold Cup win is still a very good thing. We aren't past that point yet.

I wish we were sending our full sqaud to Copa Americana but I hear we are going to put a bunch of inexperienced players on the roster along with a few select veterans. That competition could tell us much more about where we stand.

Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar

When and where and what is the Gold Cup? And is it televised?

Quote Originally Posted by THEarmada View Post
    When and where and what is the Gold Cup? And is it televised?
    Every region of the world is divided up. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think it is South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Oceana and North America/Central America/Carribean.

Obviously we are in North America/C.A./Carribean or CONCACAF (Confederation of North America, Central America and Carribean Futbol)

The strongest areas are always South American and Europe.

The Gold cup is a tournament held every other year (when there is no World Cup) for our region. Our region is considered relatively weak and we are improving so that is why Prof. is saying we should be winning this thing every year.

I think our region is the 3rd best region in the world right now. The problem is Europe and South America are light years ahead of everyone else.

I hope this helps. Professor and Dawg80 know much more than I do and can probably do a better job explaining.

Oh and it is televised on Fox Soccer Channel , GolTV, and the spanish stations like Univision and Telefutura. The American games are almost always on Fox. We advanced to the quarterfinals and I think we will be playingPanama Sat. afternoon. We should win this game and move on to the Semi's.

Dang! 2-1 over Canada with an obviously horrible call saving the US's butts too! That Canuck was on-side and that game should have gone OT.

Did Mexico win last night? Haven't seen the score.

The US is looking too porous in the back line at times. Don't have that one great defender, a true stopper, that will consistently deny the other side. Only when the US defense is completely intact and organized do they do well. Heaven forbid if one of our defenders has gone up field on an attack because our mid-field sucks at covering back for him.

Defense has always been a big problem for the US. It has been the reason, and continues to be the reason, we are not a true world power...yet.

Yeah, I know, if we had a great mid-field, the best in the world, we could get by with just a "good" defense. But, building that great of a mid-field is a lot harder than building a great defense.

Still, I like Bob Bradley and all those young players. I think the future is bright for US soccer.

Let's just win the Gold Cup Sunday and keep on building!

Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar

United States wins the Gold Cup 2-1 over Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by THEarmada View Post
    United States wins the Gold Cup 2-1 over Mexico.
    Good win and an excellent 2nd half. Should have won 4-1, got to put those easy ones in. That was a very game and hard-fighting Mexican side. They would have hung with any team today, the way they played. So, that is a good W for the US.

Ah...especially given it was a like road game for the US. 50K Mexican fans to about 20K US fans, and that in Chicago!

I was somewhat surprised to see that Bradley is not taking most of his veterans to the Copa America tourney. We are in the same group with Uruguay, Columbia and Argentina...yikes!!! Well, at least our youngsters will get a true taste of elite futbol.

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

He is considering the wear on the players. That is basically 2 months in camp if he takes the A-side twice. He and US soccer agreed a couple of months ago that the Gold Cup was our regions championship and that meant more than guesting in the Copa.

The domestic players are also being kept away from their club sides and one tournament is alot to ask, but two in a row is the death knell for some of the teams without their star(s).

In the Copa roster you see, a few veterans or new A-side kids who need to polish their international game i.e Twellman, Johnson, Mapp, Moor, Bornstein, Feilhaber, and Clark (all solid players that have shown flashes but need to get stronger)

A stablizing presence in Keller, Conrad, Olsen

and then he is giving a hard look at what US soccer considers some of the stars in the next 5 years. He is giving them a chance to test themselves against some great competition. The US is not developing pure play makers yet so our strength lies in the depth we can create. That is why this is a great test at the full national team level, not U-20 etc, for the likes of:

Wayne, Nguyen (coached against him here in Dallas and he is considered our closest thing to a pure ball handler that we have developed so far), Boswell, Gaven, Pearce, Califf, DeMerit, Kljestan

Then you have ADU and Altidore who are with the U-20 team for the World Cup coming up and they are both considered gems. Although at 17 Altidores stock may be climbing ahead of Adu's now.

Quote Originally Posted by DallasDog View Post
    He is considering the wear on the players. That is basically 2 months in camp if he takes the A-side twice. He and US soccer agreed a couple of months ago that the Gold Cup was our regions championship and that meant more than guesting in the Copa.

The domestic players are also being kept away from their club sides and one tournament is alot to ask, but two in a row is the death knell for some of the teams without their star(s).

In the Copa roster you see, a few veterans or new A-side kids who need to polish their international game i.e Twellman, Johnson, Mapp, Moor, Bornstein, Feilhaber, and Clark (all solid players that have shown flashes but need to get stronger)

A stablizing presence in Keller, Conrad, Olsen

and then he is giving a hard look at what US soccer considers some of the stars in the next 5 years. He is giving them a chance to test themselves against some great competition. The US is not developing pure play makers yet so our strength lies in the depth we can create. That is why this is a great test at the full national team level, not U-20 etc, for the likes of:

Wayne, Nguyen (coached against him here in Dallas and he is considered our closest thing to a pure ball handler that we have developed so far), Boswell, Gaven, Pearce, Califf, DeMerit, Kljestan

Then you have ADU and Altidore who are with the U-20 team for the World Cup coming up and they are both considered gems. Although at 17 Altidores stock may be climbing ahead of Adu's now.

I agree with Bradley that the most important thing is defending your home turf (CONCACAF). Plus this gets us in the confederation cup. This was an important win against a tough Mexican team. I was very worried throughout this game.

I have been unimpressed with Adu so far. Now I have only seen him a couple of times against FC Dallas but he didn't do too much in those games.

I have a lot of friends that had kids that played against Lee Nguyen over in Classic league in Dallas. They all say he is the real deal. My son is only 6 but he plays U8. I hope he can play over there some day. Wish us luck.

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

Lee is a stud, but he is one of those guys that his team starts to watch and sometimes get caught napping. Shouldn't happen at the National team or pro level. That Texans 87 team was just ridiculous. The closest game they had that last spring season was 5-0 or 5-1 I can't remember and it was against Solar.

I have seen Adu play several times at different levels, and I feel there is a lot more to him, he just isn't willing to go the extra mile. He has coasted on his rep (wow wish I had rep at his age) and not really worked at his craft. He says he is ready for Europe, I dont think so, but maybe he will prove me wrong. I met him once when the US U-18 Team was in for the Dallas Cup. I was at SMU talking to coach Erwin when the team was practicing. He seemed very, arrogant might be to strong, but unhumble??

I am very excited about the confederations cup. I want a strong showing by the US.

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

Wow. I just got around to reading this thread and disagree here. When Mexico is in the mix, I wouldn't say a loss to them is a major dissapointment.

I am happy that this is an establishing win for the new coach. To me, that is the major accomplishment.

+ Reply to Thread