+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sad News

Champ dawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud of

Sad News

My best friend, Cai Larsen, a 1995 graduate of Tech (Early Childhood Education) passed away last week in Lufkin, TX. Please remember his family in your prayers.

http://www.lufkindailynews.com/featr..._memorial.html

__________________________________________________ ________

Friday, June 15, 2007
    The Rev. Cai Larsen came to Lufkin from half a world away, planting seeds of ministry that have grown to reach across the globe.
    Larsen, dean of Christian Education at Texas Bible College in Lufkin, died in an accident Wednesday while clearing trees at his home near Diboll. He was 34.

REV. CAI LARSEN

Larsen was born in Haslev, Denmark, and came to America as an exchange student to Louisiana in 1990. He fell in love with the United States right away, his brother Carsten Larsen wrote in an e-mail from his home in Denmark.
    "Cai had found a purpose for his life, his calling. Through work and church, Cai met a lot of people who meant a lot to him," he wrote. "He was blessed with a lovely wife and children and had many friends... ."

The Rev. Bret Cooley, president of Texas Bible College, knew Larsen as an energetic student at Jackson College of Ministries (now closed) in Louisiana. Cooley was then dean of Missions. Larsen was later hired by Jackson College as a teacher.
    "He was a little older when he came," Cooley said. "But he was a tremendous leader, and influence among his college peers."

Larsen left such an impression on him, that when Cooley was later named college president, he tapped Larsen and his wife to come to Texas Bible College.
    Larsen became dean, overseeing Christian Education majors, coordinating campus activities and founding events such as the "Extremely Higher" youth conference and "Trapped" lock-in for youth across the Texas District of the United Pentecostal Church. His wife Gillian served as an instructor in the music program.
    "It's going to be a huge loss. Our students just loved him. He spent a tremendous amount of time with them," Cooley said.

The college is currently on summer break, with classes resuming Aug. 28. E-mails on Larsen's passing have been sent out to their mailing list, and the college is already hearing back from friends and Larsen's students on summer mission and evangelism work around the world, in addition to a note from the church he founded in Denmark, Cooley said.

Early plans are for the college's next yearbook to be dedicated to Larsen. Other memorials may be coming when school is back in session, he said.

Larsen was also director of the Children's Ministry at Cornerstone United Pentecostal Church in Lufkin. A church spokesman was not available for comment Friday.

Larsen worked with a number of churches and youth camps over the years, and as late as last week was involved in a youth camp in Louisiana, said Kevin Prince, spokesman for the Texas District UPC, in an e-mail to The Lufkin Daily News. Cooley said Friday a banner remained hanging in Larsen's office. It was a thank you from the children at Mississippi School for the Blind. Larsen had worked in the residential department. "He loved working with those others had neglected. He was known for taking these handicapped children on camping trips and other memorable outings," Prince wrote.

A number of people were posting comments of sympathy and support in online discussion boards last week as news of Larsen's death spread. Some sent e-mail to The Lufkin Daily News expressing their sympathy.

"I have known Cai for about 16 years. He was a great guy! He was so full of life and excitement. ...He was very dedicated to his ministry. ...We are going to miss him so much!" wrote Robyn Rhoads.

"Our prayers are with the Larsen Family. What became great tragedy has become eternal victory. O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?" wrote Abraham Chacon, of Ventura, Calif.

Larsen is survived by his wife, two sons and one daughter, ages 7, 3 and 1.
    In lieu of flowers and due to limited life insurance, a memorial fund has been established to assist the family. Contributions may be made to the Texas District UPC, 4109 S. First St., Lufkin, Texas, 75901. Mark "Cai Larsen Memorial Fund" in the memo line. Memorial donations may also be made to the Copenhagen Denmark Church, c/o UPC International, 8855 Dunn Road, Hazelwood, Mo., 63042-2299.

Funeral services are set for 5 p.m. today at Eastview United Pentecostal, 1407 N. Medford Drive, on Loop 287 in Lufkin. Condolence messages may be left on The Lufkin Daily News Web site obituaries listing.

Carsten Larsen's e-mail included a message he wished to share with those offering prayers for his brother's family: "When people remember my brother and send their prayers to his family, I hope they realize how much joy each and every one of them brought to my brother," he said. "For that, I wish to send my most heartfelt thanks to all who took part in my brother's life."

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Sad News

Clearly a good man. My prayers are with Cai's family and friends.

+ Reply to Thread