+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: 'DANGEROUS GLOBAL COOLING'

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Re: 'DANGEROUS GLOBAL COOLING'

Quote Originally Posted by saltydawg View Post
    Comrade dawg80, thanks for that information. CO2 emissions increased by 1.3 percent in 2007.

Regarding "carbon dioxide sequestration through smokestack scrubbers", I would not be surprised that scrubbers do collect some CO2 as a by-product of reducing sulfur dioxide emissions. However, the scrubbers are not designed to collect CO2 in any meaningful amounts, They are designed to collect sulfur dioxide. One study estimated based on using a real coal-fired power plant that it would take 1/3 of the electricity produced by the power plant to run scrubbers designed to collect CO2. The issue of what to do with the waste product and whether the CO2 collected by limestone scrubbers can be safely stored are other questions not resolved.
    funny you are the one making that argument now, when a few years ago i was telling you the same thing (while you were saying we could capture the co2 in scrubbers and pump it into the earth)

Champ saltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your time saltydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    funny you are the one making that argument now, when a few years ago i was telling you the same thing (while you were saying we could capture the co2 in scrubbers and pump it into the earth)
    ArkBob, I never said that the way to go was with limestone scrubbers. I mentioned the possibility of amine scrubbers and pumping it into the earth but now realize that once CO2 is captured it can be made into valuable industrial products that help make the process economical.

I expect that the technology will get better as time passes.

"All roads lead to Putin" -- Thomas Jefferson

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

ArkBob, I never said that the way to go was with limestone scrubbers. I mentioned the possibility of amine scrubbers and pumping it into the earth but now realize that once CO2 is captured it can be made into valuable industrial products that help make the process economical.

go ahead and say you were wrong. we won't hold it against you. it's not like it's news to anyone.

and i'm sure co2 can be made into thousands of industrial products, but it won't help make the process economical -- it may make it more economical than pumping it into the ground, but it will never be economical. again, why waste so much energy on capturing something that's not a problem?

Champ saltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your time saltydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    go ahead and say you were wrong. we won't hold it against you. it's not like it's news to anyone.

and i'm sure co2 can be made into thousands of industrial products, but it won't help make the process economical -- it may make it more economical than pumping it into the ground, but it will never be economical. again, why waste so much energy on capturing something that's not a problem?
    That's where you are wrong. CO2 emissions from burning fossil fuels is a problem. It's affecting our climate and oceans acidity and their level. If you think that CO2 atmospheric levels can rise indefinitely then you need to do some research on the topic.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Do you know how to separate the CO2 from the amines?
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Do you know how to separate the CO2 from the amines?
    I don't recall. refresh my memory.

So? Does change the fact that Earth has the highest surface land and ocean temperature in 100 years, does it?

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

I don't recall. refresh my memory.
    Energy (heat).
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Tyler, this thread is about GLOBAL COOLING, remember???? Please don't try to hijack this thread again.

Now, how many Americans believe in GLOBAL COOLING? Zilch, not counting yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Tyler, this thread is about GLOBAL COOLING, remember???? Please don't try to hijack this thread again.

Now, how many Americans believe in GLOBAL COOLING? Zilch, not counting yourself.
    Truly a great play on words I should have known you would miss. You need some brain food Salty.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Comrade dawg80, thanks for that information. CO2 emissions increased by 1.3 percent in 2007.

Regarding "carbon dioxide sequestration through smokestack scrubbers", I would not be surprised that scrubbers do collect some CO2 as a by-product of reducing sulfur dioxide emissions. However, the scrubbers are not designed to collect CO2 in any meaningful amounts, They are designed to collect sulfur dioxide. One study estimated based on using a real coal-fired power plant that it would take 1/3 of the electricity produced by the power plant to run scrubbers designed to collect CO2. The issue of what to do with the waste product and whether the CO2 collected by limestone scrubbers can be safely stored are other questions not resolved.
    Typical lib....selective reading. The 1.3% increase was relative to 2006 levels. I know this gets confusing for ya.

About 20-25 years ago, some of you may remember the controversy over what to do with the captured CO2 out of smokestacks. There was a proposal to dump it in the ocean. That was shot down. No, I'm not sure of the exact method. I suppose the CO2 would be in metal cylinders and they would be cast into the deepest part of the ocean. Eventually the canisters would rust, but the CO2 would be "absorbed" by the water and never reach the surface. No dumping was allowed, at least not legally...

ICEs in vehicles account for 1/3 of CO2 emissions, according to studies. Surely stricter laws on exhausts will help to reduce those amounts. The other day I was behind two different vehicles spewing nasty, toxic fumes. One was an old Pontiac, late 1970's model, driven by an elderly black woman, and the other a 90's Ford pick-up with "LSU Tigers" and an NRA sticker on the rear window. Two young white males were in it, the passenger smoking cigs, so obviously he didn't give a hoot about air pollution since he was damaging his lungs at a faster rate anyway.

Again, technology is present and available to do a LOT to reduce emissions from everyday sources. But, the politicians lack the courage to make anything happen. Can you imagine the firestorm if a law was passed to force every vehicle owner to undergo an inspection and if their car didn't meet standards, they would have to pay for new exhaust controls to make their car legal????? It will NEVER happen. The good ole Demos who profess to care about "saving the planet" don't care enough to upset their voter base. Hypocrites.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    ICEs in vehicles account for 1/3 of CO2 emissions, according to studies. Surely stricter laws on exhausts will help to reduce those amounts. The other day I was behind two different vehicles spewing nasty, toxic fumes. One was an old Pontiac, late 1970's model, driven by an elderly black woman, and the other a 90's Ford pick-up with "LSU Tigers" and an NRA sticker on the rear window. Two young white males were in it, the passenger smoking cigs, so obviously he didn't give a hoot about air pollution since he was damaging his lungs at a faster rate anyway.
    Those smelly emissions are not CO2. Hell, they are not even GHGs. GHGs (CO2, methane, water vapor) are odorless.

Again, technology is present and available to do a LOT to reduce emissions from everyday sources. But, the politicians lack the courage to make anything happen. Can you imagine the firestorm if a law was passed to force every vehicle owner to undergo an inspection and if their car didn't meet standards, they would have to pay for new exhaust controls to make their car legal????? It will NEVER happen. The good ole Demos who profess to care about "saving the planet" don't care enough to upset their voter base. Hypocrites.
    You must not live in a non-attainment area. We have emissions testing in Atlanta and if you do not pass you have to get it fixed. It sucks. There currently is no technology to capture CO2 emissions from autos, thank god. BTW, the emission control devices that are used on cars (like the cat converter) reduce fuel efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Typical lib....selective reading. The 1.3% increase was relative to 2006 levels. I know this gets confusing for ya.

About 20-25 years ago, some of you may remember the controversy over what to do with the captured CO2 out of smokestacks. There was a proposal to dump it in the ocean. That was shot down. No, I'm not sure of the exact method. I suppose the CO2 would be in metal cylinders and they would be cast into the deepest part of the ocean. Eventually the canisters would rust, but the CO2 would be "absorbed" by the water and never reach the surface. No dumping was allowed, at least not legally...

Comrade dawg80, you must be getting forgetful. It wasn't CO2 they were thinking about dumping in the ocean 20 or 25 years ago, it was radioactive waste from nuclear reactors. The idea was to package the waste in metal cylinders and then inject the cylinders into the sea bed muck where sediments would further bury it over time,

If we had the political will, we could move completely from fossil fuels and nuclear power to solar, wind, and water power in 20 to 25 years.

+ Reply to Thread