+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Smoking Seafood Question

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

Smoking Seafood Question

Anybody here ever smoked their own oysters?...salmon? I just got a beautiful new smoker and would like to try the above. I've found some good recipes on the web but nothing helps like some been there/done that advice or cut and paste a recipe or two. I just ordered a bunch of wood chips to retail at my store (golden maple, alderwood, cherry, apple, cabernet barrel chips) and am looking forward to trying some different recipes. Thanks, Ross
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Big Dog Pitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the rough Pitcherjlt's Avatar

Re: Smoking Seafood Question

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg View Post
    Anybody here ever smoked their own oysters?...salmon? I just got a beautiful new smoker and would like to try the above. I've found some good recipes on the web but nothing helps like some been there/done that advice or cut and paste a recipe or two. I just ordered a bunch of wood chips to retail at my store (golden maple, alderwood, cherry, apple, cabernet barrel chips) and am looking forward to trying some different recipes. Thanks, Ross
    Marketdawg,

Go to http://www.cookshack.com/ and click on the right link titled "forums." You can search all of the different forums to find what you are looking for or just to browse.

There are a ton of recipes on this website and alot of great information located in the forums giving advice on how to smoke different meats and vegetables.

I use 2 small cookshacks in my restaurant for smoking cheddar cheese and smoking baked potatoes.

I use a Southern Pride large trailer-mounted smoker to cook brisket, ribs, chicken, pork butt, etc ... The link to their website is http://www.southern-pride.com/

Jeremy Telford
    owner, Dowling's Smokehouse BBQ
    Ruston, LA 71270

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

B-U-T-Full Site!!! Thanks. I will definitely visit again and again. I still couldn't find a definitive answer on how to smoke oysters but I think that having read all of the previous poster's coments about failure and mediocre results and other websites advice I've narrowed my recipe choices down and have a prety good idea of where to begin. As you're in the business check out my ideas here:

1: You must blanch the raw oysters in boiling water for 7-10 seconds (I'm going to substitute a dark beer/boiling solution)

2: Drench the Oysters in a cottonseed oil/slight worcestershire/very slight Tobasco solution.

3: Smoke over a stiff oak or alder fire, somewhat wrapped in a loose, hole-poked, aluminum foil "boat" @ 175-200 (I have a sidebox smoker..I'd be lying if I tried to get any more exact than this temp) until slightly rubbery but done.

4: Store for 24 -48 hours in a sanitized mason jar that you packed with smoked oysters, cottonseed oil, a few drops of worcestershire and a few drops of tobasco.

5: EAT!

I'll let you know how it came out. Thanks for the info and Ill be sure to stop in your place and do some severe damage to your inventory next go round. Keep the tips flyin' and let me know of any more smokin' tips be it salmon, oysters, turkey or even a good venison roast recipe..I've still got a bunch of venison hams in my deep freeze from last season.

How about a good venison roast rub/marinade recipe and a good smoked salmon brine recipe?

I'll report back on the oyster results and we can tweak the recipe from here.

Big Dog Pitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the rough Pitcherjlt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg View Post
    How about a good venison roast rub/marinade recipe and a good smoked salmon brine recipe?

I'll report back on the oyster results and we can tweak the recipe from here.
    Just be sure that you search the cookshack forums thoroughly. There is so much good information on there. Surf the entire website and you will find a ton of recipes.

Oysters came out perfect! A little Tobasco and some Saltines and I've got supper. I changed the procedure/recipe and also went with cherrywood for the smoke.

+ Reply to Thread