+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Affirmative Action...

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

Re: Affirmative Action...

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    and the biggest harm it causes is that it continues discrimination. to emphasize racial differences is exactly the LAST thing this country needs to do to improve racial relations.
    BINGO! We are all the same . . . except you get this contract because you are not white/male/hot chick, etc.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Where did you go Dirty?
    I'm not done yet. I'll be back on this. Just been fighting some kind of bug today.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    DD,

Why does the Govt. have the right to have any influence whatsoever in my companies hiring process? I am the one that will succeed or fail based upon my hiring decisions. If I don't hire the best man for the job and my competitor does then I will surely face the natural consequences that occur in the marketplace.

Also even if affirmative action works on one side, doesn't the harm it inevitably causes on the other side cancel the progress out making it a wash.
    Now, I don't expect you to agree with my reasoning on this, but as far as I'm concerned, the govt. has the right to have influence in your hiring decisions based on the fact that you're given the priveledge of having a business in this country, but then that also delves into what I believe should be govt. rights which I'm sure most of you, especially guiss won't agree with. This country is represented, as we all know, by a very diverse group of peoples several of which have been discriminated against. There is no denying that at one point it was easy to use the excuse that certain peoples were more qualified than others, therefore more deserving than others. However, it's a known fact that discrimination against those people still occur-not to the extent it once did, but it still happens.

Also, to say that not hiring the most qualified person for a job will affect one's business' productivity isn't actually accurate when it comes to applying affirmative action. There are many, many jobs in which job performance or ability is not reflected in a decrease in the marketplace resulting in better achievements by your competitor. Furthermore, the idea that not hiring the most qualified person for a job will negatively affect your company's performance causing your competitor to hire more qualified personnel to outperform yours isn't actually accurate either. Firstly, because your competitor isn't going to know about your hiring practice, and generally, the practice of hiring non-qualified people is countered by their appointment to positions and duties that won't be hindered by their inabilities to perform the job. Secondly, your competitor is more than likely engaged in the same hiring practices you are which is the reason for affirmative action to begin with. Thirdly, I don't know of any case in which affirmative action has caused a company to hire a bumbling idiot that has no qualifications that has affected a company's productivity. Fourthly, I don't know of any case in which affirmative action has forced a company to retain an employee who wasn't performing his responsibilities.

Now, keep in mind, I'm not advocating that I'm for the practice of forcing a company to hire someone just because of his/her race or sex if he/she is not qualified. However, there is no question that discrimination still occurs even when there are those who are considered minorities who are qualified apply for a position. I don't agree with lowering standards to allow someone who's considered a minority to be able to be considered as a qualified candidate. I will say this, that I think that if two people are equally qualified for a position, then depending on the racial/sexual make-up of the company, the minority should be given the nod, but that's not a point that I'm firm on. However, I think that if there is a minimum standard for a position, and that there is a minority who has those qualification plus more and non-minority who meets the minimum requirement, then the minority should get the job.

The fact is that discrimination still occurs despite the lofty claims of those that say that not hiring the most qualified person will affect the business. I've seen it first hand. I've seen companies that set standards for a position and give it to a white man who had the minimum qualifications and pass over a black man who had the qualifations plus more. I've seen a company convince a woman to take her name out of the running for a postion, a woman who was the most qualified because the man in charge of that department wanted a man in the position.

As far as affirmative action working on one side and causing harm on the other side therefore cancelling out it's progress and making it a wash, I don't see it. I honestly don't think that the white man is even close to being in a crisis of being subjugated due to affirmative action. But, I will say it again, I think affirmative action needs to be tweaked. The way I understand it to be now isn't a productive manner of equalizing things.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    Now, I don't expect you to agree with my reasoning on this, but as far as I'm concerned, the govt. has the right to have influence in your hiring decisions based on the fact that you're given the priveledge of having a business in this country, but then that also delves into what I believe should be govt. rights...
    government rights! darn right i don't agree with your reasoning. the government does not, and should not have rights. i don't even know where that came from. the sole reason for the government's existence is to protect the rights of its citizens.

as for the rest of your argument, it doesn't even make any sense. there are laws that prohibit hiring/promotion descrimination based on race/ethnicity (i agree with), gender (i agree with in most cases), and age (this one is stupid). so why, if we have laws against racial descrimination, do we also have laws that DEMAND racial descrimination? the whole idea is absurd.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

As far as affirmative action working on one side and causing harm on the other side therefore cancelling out it's progress and making it a wash, I don't see it. I honestly don't think that the white man is even close to being in a crisis of being subjugated due to affirmative action.
    that, too, is rediculous. nobody is saying that the white man is being oppressed. but putting emphasis on race in hiring practices is at best counterproductive for racial relations.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Now, I don't expect you to agree with my reasoning on this, but as far as I'm concerned, the govt. has the right to have influence in your hiring decisions based on the fact that you're given the priveledge of having a business in this country, but then that also delves into what I believe should be govt. rights which I'm sure most of you, especially guiss won't agree with. This country is represented, as we all know, by a very diverse group of peoples several of which have been discriminated against. There is no denying that at one point it was easy to use the excuse that certain peoples were more qualified than others, therefore more deserving than others. However, it's a known fact that discrimination against those people still occur-not to the extent it once did, but it still happens.

Also, to say that not hiring the most qualified person for a job will affect one's business' productivity isn't actually accurate when it comes to applying affirmative action. There are many, many jobs in which job performance or ability is not reflected in a decrease in the marketplace resulting in better achievements by your competitor. Furthermore, the idea that not hiring the most qualified person for a job will negatively affect your company's performance causing your competitor to hire more qualified personnel to outperform yours isn't actually accurate either. Firstly, because your competitor isn't going to know about your hiring practice, and generally, the practice of hiring non-qualified people is countered by their appointment to positions and duties that won't be hindered by their inabilities to perform the job. Secondly, your competitor is more than likely engaged in the same hiring practices you are which is the reason for affirmative action to begin with. Thirdly, I don't know of any case in which affirmative action has caused a company to hire a bumbling idiot that has no qualifications that has affected a company's productivity. Fourthly, I don't know of any case in which affirmative action has forced a company to retain an employee who wasn't performing his responsibilities.

Now, keep in mind, I'm not advocating that I'm for the practice of forcing a company to hire someone just because of his/her race or sex if he/she is not qualified. However, there is no question that discrimination still occurs even when there are those who are considered minorities who are qualified apply for a position. I don't agree with lowering standards to allow someone who's considered a minority to be able to be considered as a qualified candidate. I will say this, that I think that if two people are equally qualified for a position, then depending on the racial/sexual make-up of the company, the minority should be given the nod, but that's not a point that I'm firm on. However, I think that if there is a minimum standard for a position, and that there is a minority who has those qualification plus more and non-minority who meets the minimum requirement, then the minority should get the job.

The fact is that discrimination still occurs despite the lofty claims of those that say that not hiring the most qualified person will affect the business. I've seen it first hand. I've seen companies that set standards for a position and give it to a white man who had the minimum qualifications and pass over a black man who had the qualifations plus more. I've seen a company convince a woman to take her name out of the running for a postion, a woman who was the most qualified because the man in charge of that department wanted a man in the position.

As far as affirmative action working on one side and causing harm on the other side therefore cancelling out it's progress and making it a wash, I don't see it. I honestly don't think that the white man is even close to being in a crisis of being subjugated due to affirmative action. But, I will say it again, I think affirmative action needs to be tweaked. The way I understand it to be now isn't a productive manner of equalizing things.
    I see what you are saying DD. I am too sleepy to respond to it all right now but in your last paragraph I didn't mean "white man" but a white man, an individual. So I don't think white man can be subjugated by affirmative action but an individual can certainly be "screwed" by it.

I also firmly believe that if I am hiring the best man/woman for the job and my competitor is only hiring white men I am going to beat him in the long run because business is all about people and I will have the best regardless of race/sex/ect...

Oh and as far as the first paragraph goes I wasn't given the privilage of running a business from the goverment so the government doesn't have the right to approve or disaprove of my hiring practices. God gave me everything good in my life and I only need to answer to him in that regard. Our rights are God given.

(Guiss, let it be. We have already gone over this in another thread)

Champ AG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the rough AG_jr's Avatar

Ok, now that the week is over, I'll put my two cents in. My first response, DD, is to your comment on govt. rights. I call B.S. As bob has said, the government was put in place for one reason and one reason alone, to protect OUR rights. The government should fear the people, not the other way around. That is the whole purpose the miranda rights were put into place, so that the government couldn't just go around arresting people at random and committing unlawful searches and seizures. The second we give the government rights, is the second that we lose ours. Personally, I believe the government has put WAAAYYY too much responsibility upon itself. And affirmative action is one of those things.

I am on the opposite side or your point of view, because I have seen things happen just the opposite. Why is it that I, a white male, who had a 31 on his ACT, a 3.5 gpa, and 15 hours of college credit, should get less scolarship money just because I am white?(and that DID happen) Why is it that the man across from my cubicle was hired because of the company's "equal opportunity" regulations, even though this guy is a complete bafoon? (I have been told by co-workers that since I started my internship, I have learned and done more than he has since he got there almost a year ago). Not only that, the company won't fire him, because he helps them meet their "minority quota".

Enough ranting...let's look at it this way. Let's say John Doe, a 35 year-old white male, applies for a job. Let's also say that Bob Smith, a 35 year-old black male, applies for the SAME job. Both men graduated from the same school, with the same degree and GPA. Why should Bob get the job over John, just because Bob is black? And yes, affirmative action DOES hinder improvement of racial relations. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dr. King's civil right's movement was all about NOT judging people based on the color of their skin. That is EXACTLY what affirmative action does! It gives special consideration to others, just because of their ethnicity! Even BILL COSBY believes it is detremental to society, because it makes minorities dependant upon special favors.

Furthermore, affirmative action is contradictory to capitalism. The reason capitalism is so successful is that it has EXTREMELY limited govt. control. If a company wants to only hire white people, that is its prerogative. It is probably not in its best interest for two reasons though. First, you limit your talent spectrum. Second, you limit your customer base. But, if the company wishes to do so, that should be THEIR choice. That is the beauty of capitalism. Once you regulate it too much, and start giving your rights up to the government, you begin sliding down a slippery slope to communism.

Affirmative Action is just a euphamism for:

REVERSE DISCRIMINATION.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Discrimination doesn't violate anyone's negative rights. Where does the right to a job and the right to not be judged based on the color of your skin come from?
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Quote Originally Posted by AG_jr View Post
    Ok, now that the week is over, I'll put my two cents in. My first response, DD, is to your comment on govt. rights. I call B.S. As bob has said, the government was put in place for one reason and one reason alone, to protect OUR rights. The government should fear the people, not the other way around. That is the whole purpose the miranda rights were put into place, so that the government couldn't just go around arresting people at random and committing unlawful searches and seizures. The second we give the government rights, is the second that we lose ours. Personally, I believe the government has put WAAAYYY too much responsibility upon itself. And affirmative action is one of those things.

Well, as I said, most of you won't agree with me, but if people decide they are going to have a govt. to protect their rights (whatever that it is), then that govt. has the right to exert some type of control to protect the rights of others of which one of those could be to not be discriminated against. It never fails to amuse me how many times people complain about govt. taking advantage of their "rights" only to complain when the govt. doesn't get involved in another issue of their lives when they feel govt. should. However, I think you're misunderasting what I'm saying as far as govt. rights. When I say the govt. has the right, I'm referring to the govt. as the representative of all the people who you, as a company owner, would be benefitting from allowing you to own your business. But, to really explain what I mean, I would need more time and space to write it down more clearly. Unfortunately, having a 4 year old kid, a 13 year old kid and a 29 year old kid/wife doesn't afford me the leisure to delve too much into these discussions as they demand much attention.

I am on the opposite side or your point of view, because I have seen things happen just the opposite. Why is it that I, a white male, who had a 31 on his ACT, a 3.5 gpa, and 15 hours of college credit, should get less scolarship money just because I am white?(and that DID happen) Why is it that the man across from my cubicle was hired because of the company's "equal opportunity" regulations, even though this guy is a complete bafoon? (I have been told by co-workers that since I started my internship, I have learned and done more than he has since he got there almost a year ago). Not only that, the company won't fire him, because he helps them meet their "minority quota".

I'm not saying that affirmative action doesn't cause problems. But let me ask you this about your scholarship money. Was that just at Tech or could you have gone to another school and gotten more money? Did you get money at all? As far as the man across from your cubicle, let me first say that unless you hear it from the HR department (and you won't), don't trust your coworkers statements on why one person was hired or fired or in their assessments of job performances. Where did you hear the fact that he's not being fired because he meets a minority quota? Once again, don't always assume your coworkers are an accurate source of information. However, if that is the case, then that's not a deficiency of affirmative action but instead of the manager(s) of this guy and the HR. I can assure you that affirmative action was never an obstacle to my sister who was the HR director at one of the largest hospitals in New Orleans before Katrina. But she did her job and had everything documented so that when those fired tried to make an issue of it, they stood no chance. She never lost a case or had the hospital have to settle on any issues.

Enough ranting...let's look at it this way. Let's say John Doe, a 35 year-old white male, applies for a job. Let's also say that Bob Smith, a 35 year-old black male, applies for the SAME job. Both men graduated from the same school, with the same degree and GPA. Why should Bob get the job over John, just because Bob is black? And yes, affirmative action DOES hinder improvement of racial relations. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dr. King's civil right's movement was all about NOT judging people based on the color of their skin. That is EXACTLY what affirmative action does! It gives special consideration to others, just because of their ethnicity! Even BILL COSBY believes it is detremental to society, because it makes minorities dependant upon special favors.

As I said before, I'm not a firm stickler on the fact that one person should be given a job over another based solely on racial or sexual factors if all other things are equal. The person that one feels will work best in the environment of the company should get the nod. Since you asked me to correct you, I will. Dr. King's civil right movement was NOT all about NOT judging people based on the color of their skin. It was all about equal treatment for all peoples regardless of the color of their skin. Now, I know that most on here will say that affirmative action is contrary to that, but in my opinion, it isn't. The fact is we still have a significant amount of discrimination against minorities going on in this country, and something is needed to insure that they can be brought to a level position with others. The problem here is that I think there are many who are convinced they are being discriminated against by affirmative action instead of accepting the fact that they just weren't the most qualified for a job. I guarantee you that no one knows the qualifications of his competitors for any certain position. Affirmative action doesn't hinder improvement of racial relations. People hinder improvement of racial relations. I'm convinced the person who is going to blame and hate the black man for affirmative action is going to find some other reason to hate him.

Furthermore, affirmative action is contradictory to capitalism. The reason capitalism is so successful is that it has EXTREMELY limited govt. control. If a company wants to only hire white people, that is its prerogative. It is probably not in its best interest for two reasons though. First, you limit your talent spectrum. Second, you limit your customer base. But, if the company wishes to do so, that should be THEIR choice. That is the beauty of capitalism. Once you regulate it too much, and start giving your rights up to the government, you begin sliding down a slippery slope to communism.

I've never really claimed to be a capitalist. You should have been around the old board for our Chrisianity being communistic thread. As far as limiting your talent spectrum and customer base, I think it's dependent on the purpose of the business. However, if white people are the only ones with the ability to form a business, then I guess one's customer base won't be affected adversely will it, and without affirmative action, you can guarantee that hardly any, if any, minorities will be loaned the money to start businesses. They have troubles now as it is. I think there are others who would argue your point of EXTREMELY limited govt. control in the business life-in other words, I bet they don't think the govt. is EXTREMELY limited in its control. Once again, we come to the argument of rights and who has them. I'm not so sure anyone has any particular rights, but that goes into a different argument.

Affirmative Action is just a euphamism for:

REVERSE DISCRIMINATION.

In some instances, I can see that argument.
    Let me say, that I really don't care if we have affirmative action or not. My only main point was that I can see where it would be a necessary evil as I think we still have a ways to go to ensure that all peoples will be treated equally without legislation.

Discrimination doesn't violate anyone's negative rights. Where does the right to a job and the right to not be judged based on the color of your skin come from?
    Where does the idea that anyone has any rights, negatively or postively, come from?

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Where does the idea that anyone has any rights, negatively or postively, come from?
    Philosophy of government.
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

I actually took a higher rate on my loan to start my business as to avoid the hiring/firing rules that are required when you take a loan from the SBA. It was a significant difference in percentage points but I wanted to be my own boss, that's why you take the risks and work the long hours. I didn't want ANYBODY telling me I needed to hire X amount of miorities. I simply hire who I want and who I feel is the best for the job.
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

God.

I doubt white males are the most discriminated sexual-ethno group, but they are the least sympathetic. If they don't watch out for their rights, their rights would be the easist to take.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    God.
    Really? A little more explanation how God gave individuals the right to not be discriminated against or the right to a job would help.

+ Reply to Thread