+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Civil Engineering - Private vs. Public

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

Civil Engineering - Private vs. Public

I'm interested in hearing the pros and cons of working for the private and public sector from anyone who has done both. I'm currently working in the private sector but am looking hard at taking a position with a local Parish.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

Re: Civil Engineering - Private vs. Public

The pressure has got to be less in the public sector than in consulting these days with the shortage of engineers around here. My dad (also a civil engineer who always worked in private industry) has always tried to get me to go to work for the Corps - good benefits, less stress, and better hours. I've never walked there, so I don't know if that's true or not. Good luck on the decision!

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

It is VERY tempting Markay. The public sector is starting to put up the dollars too.

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

I think it also depends on what you do. Granted I've never worked in the Public sector, but my whole career has been as a private consultant for the public sector. It seems to me that in the public sector, you will be doing less pure engineering (i.e. design) and more contract stuff (i.e. paying consultants, tracking budgets/schedules, etc). And the pay isn't quite as good. However, you would possibly be able to do more big picture stuff (conceptual designing, etc). I would consider it myself, but don't think I could afford the paycut.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDawg View Post
    I think it also depends on what you do. Granted I've never worked in the Public sector, but my whole career has been as a private consultant for the public sector. It seems to me that in the public sector, you will be doing less pure engineering (i.e. design) and more contract stuff (i.e. paying consultants, tracking budgets/schedules, etc). And the pay isn't quite as good. However, you would possibly be able to do more big picture stuff (conceptual designing, etc). I would consider it myself, but don't think I could afford the paycut.
    I guess not. How many little ones you got running around now? Just kidding Bentondawg. I don't know of anything you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDawg View Post
    I was shocked to find out how much the public sector around here is starting to pay. In some cases more than what I know some private firms are paying.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    I was shocked to find out how much the public sector around here is starting to pay. In some cases more than what I know some private firms are paying.
    I have no idea what civil engineers typically earn; well, except for one who happens to be a good friend that I've known for years since we attended LA Tech. He's always gone the private sector route and worked for a major oil company until he decided to take the buyout for early retirement a few years ago. Now he stays in close contact with environmental engineering firms and waits for projects that look to be to his liking.

Right now he's overseeing/observing some site remediation work on a project which this one particular environmental engineering outfit is doing for his longtime previous employer. It's basically the type of job where he has to be on-site and watch to make sure nobody screws up. The pay is pretty good, jmo. He's "working" about 4 1/2 days a week, and "earning" more than $6,000/week including per diem and expenses and mileage. He lives a good long way away from the site and gets paid $0.75/mile for driving home starting Friday at noon and back on Sunday evening.

Dude loves to hunt and belongs to two hunting clubs. This job looks like it will last 'til maybe November or so ?? which he thimks is pretty good timing. He just started the job last month and may not look for another until late spring of next year, if then.

I know absolutely nothing about public sector civil engineering jobs, sorry......................
    Last edited by nadB; 07-19-2007 at 09:27 PM.

+ Reply to Thread