+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 32 game WAC format

Champ falcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her game falcon's Avatar

Baseball New 32 game WAC format

The WAC site announced that they are going to a 32 game conference schedule for 2008. All series will be 4 games each. We will play home & home 4 game series vs 2 teams. We will play the remaining 4 teams in 4 game series, either home or away....totalling 32 games. I guess this means that our out of conference schedule will be trimmed down to about 20 games since the NCAA isn't allowing play to begin until Feb 22nd, and I thought I read somewhere that they were trimming down the number of games. Coming up with 4 solid starting pitchers is going to be a challenge for all the WAC teams with this new format.

BleedTechBlue.com JFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant future

Re: New 32 game WAC format

This is rediculous. Baseball for ages has played 3 game series. What does this accomplish?

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Its called travel costs

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by olddog75 View Post
    Its called travel costs
    And the NCAA trimming the season

Champ falcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her game falcon's Avatar

Baseball Re: New 32 game WAC format

News & Notes
    Executive Director of the ABCA, Dave Keilitz, said the support for the uniform start date is overwhelming. Next season, teams will not be allowed to practice before February 1. Additionally, you will not be able to play a game until February 22. By comparison, the first game of the 2007 season was played on January 25 … Good news for college baseball fans - more schools want to host a Regional. The NCAA announced that in 2006 there were 35 bids to host a Regional. In 2007, that number was somewhere around 54 … ABCA's Dave Keilitz said that he'd like to see the season extended a week longer. With the upcoming shorter season, travel and academics could become an issue … The NCAA and many coaches are also starting a campaign for stricter steroid testing. While the issue has been relatively absent from college baseball, the coaches and NCAA alike want to take a proactive stance as opposed to having to become reactive like professional baseball … Fans of college baseball could see a change in when the College World Series starts next season. Though the deal isn't done, Dennis Poppe did say the CWS may start on Saturday and end on Tuesday next season. That is still to be determined.

Kendall Rogers is the college baseball editor for Rivals.com. He can be reached at kendall@rivals.com. There are many changes on the way for NCAA Division 1 baseball, the worst being the transfer rule that will force a player that transfers to another D1 school to sit out a year as they do in football. The problem is the NCAA is not going to raise the 11.7 scholarships that each college has to work with every year.

Bleed Tech Blue! JAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to behold JAY's Avatar

will lorio or bradshaw start or remain in the pen?

our starters will be:

burnett
    moseley
    jones
    lasserre?

Unless one of the incoming freshmen pitchers is able to step into a starting role, I would expect Bradshaw to be the #4 starter. Lassere would be a middle reliever along with Knotts.The other pitchers would get spot duty & Lorio is our closer. We are the only WAC team that didn't bring in experienced junior college pitchers for the 2008 season. Unless the coaching staff has an ace up their sleeve that we are unaware of, it looks like our pithing depth is pretty iffy.

Varsity Bulldog aggiedawg has much to be proud ofaggiedawg has much to be proud ofaggiedawg has much to be proud ofaggiedawg has much to be proud ofaggiedawg has much to be proud ofaggiedawg has much to be proud ofaggiedawg has much to be proud ofaggiedawg has much to be proud ofaggiedawg has much to be proud ofaggiedawg has much to be proud ofaggiedawg has much to be proud of aggiedawg's Avatar

What role do you guys see Casey Jones palying? If he is healthy, he can definately contribute.

LaTech Occupy Gameday Czar! techfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by aggiedawg View Post
    What role do you guys see Casey Jones palying? If he is healthy, he can definately contribute.
    Big question...If he is healthy
    His arm is not doing good from what i have heard, he had surgery to repair his labrum and apparently he was trying to throw again 2 months after surgery and reinjured it which prolonged his recovery. The doctors dont want you to throw till 6 months after. I know if healthy he can contribute a lot.

Varsity Bulldog farright3030 has turned a few heads around herefarright3030 has turned a few heads around here farright3030's Avatar

I like the new 4 game series format. It will save a bundle on travel thats for sure. More time for class as well. This will be a positive impact for our RPI if we do well. Those wins over grambling and the like kill us in that aspect.

Bulldog littledawg50 is an unknown

Quote Originally Posted by farright3030 View Post
    I like the new 4 game series format. It will save a bundle on travel thats for sure. More time for class as well. This will be a positive impact for our RPI if we do well. Those wins over grambling and the like kill us in that aspect.
    When I first heard of the 4 game format I figured they did it for travel costs but the format on the WAC website doesn't appear it will save us $$ unless I'm reading it wrong. We will play two teams in Ruston and we will travel to those same two schools to play a series. Then we'll play the other four teams on a alternating home and away on consecutive years, probably two of those in Ruston and the other two away. We'll still have four away series, same as we had this year. I had figured we would have played our six conference foes one four game series each year which would have us traveling only three times, playing only 24 conference games but thats not the case. Am I reading it wrong and how will it save money?

Varsity Bulldog farright3030 has turned a few heads around herefarright3030 has turned a few heads around here farright3030's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by littledawg50 View Post
    When I first heard of the 4 game format I figured they did it for travel costs but the format on the WAC website doesn't appear it will save us $$ unless I'm reading it wrong. We will play two teams in Ruston and we will travel to those same two schools to play a series. Then we'll play the other four teams on a alternating home and away on consecutive years, probably two of those in Ruston and the other two away. We'll still have four away series, same as we had this year. I had figured we would have played our six conference foes one four game series each year which would have us traveling only three times, playing only 24 conference games but thats not the case. Am I reading it wrong and how will it save money?
    instead of 6 road series, we will have 4 or an average of 4 over a two year period.

Quote Originally Posted by farright3030 View Post
    instead of 6 road series, we will have 4 or an average of 4 over a two year period.
    This year we only had four. I'm sure they increased number of conf games from 24 to 32 because of the later starting dates but I still think they could have stayed at 24, played every team a four game series, had three away series and three home series.Makes more sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by littledawg50 View Post
    This year we only had four. I'm sure they increased number of conf games from 24 to 32 because of the later starting dates but I still think they could have stayed at 24, played every team a four game series, had three away series and three home series.Makes more sense to me.
    I really think the main reason for eight-4 game series' is to cram as many games as posible into the new shortened season.We will still have to go on two-12 day road trips, only playing an additional game at each location. I wonder if they are planning a single game, Thursday thru Sunday....or a single game on Friday & Sunday, with a doubleheader on Saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by falcon View Post
    I really think the main reason for eight-4 game series' is to cram as many games as posible into the new shortened season.We will still have to go on two-12 day road trips, only playing an additional game at each location. I wonder if they are planning a single game, Thursday thru Sunday....or a single game on Friday & Sunday, with a doubleheader on Saturday?
    Heard it was gonna be Friday, DH on Sat, and 1 game on Sunday.

+ Reply to Thread