+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "More than meets the eye"

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

"More than meets the eye"

Saw Transformers last night. Let me begin by saying that I wasn't particularly interested in seeing this movie as the Transformer phase came along when I was too old to get into that craze, so I always thought it was kind of stupid. That being said, I really enjoyed the movie. The autobots and decepticons were awesome. Definitely not something that 1980's technology could have done justice to in making a movie. The movie attempted much humor which wasn't too bad. Shia LeBouef did a good job. The girl was hot, hot, hot. Bumblebee was baaaaaaaad. I now don't know if I want a classic camaro or if I want to get the new concept camaro. I thought there could be more interaction between the autobots and the decepticons, but there was enough there to please the eye. It's truly amazing what people can do in movies nowadays. I really recommend his movie. There is a good deal of cursing in it, but I don't remember any "F" words. Still, I probably wouldn't have brought my 4 year old if I had known there would be this degree of cursing. I mean it wasn't every scene, but it was enough to make me rethink my decision. All in all, in my opinion, I enjoyed this movie much, much better than I did POTC3, but that may be because I expected great things from POTC3 and not Transformers.

Champ GrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to all

Re: "More than meets the eye"

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    Bumblebee was baaaaaaaad. I now don't know if I want a classic camaro or if I want to get the new concept camaro.
    Bumblebee was the new concept camaro. I heard an interview with the stunt driver who drove that car. he said it is going to be the 09 Camaro and they took big steps to keep secrecy around the car's design.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrassyNoleHitman View Post
    Bumblebee was the new concept camaro. I heard an interview with the stunt driver who drove that car. he said it is going to be the 09 Camaro and they took big steps to keep secrecy around the car's design.
    Yeah, I read a little about it as well. Some things in the movie Bumblee won't actually be in the real 09 Camaro. I don't remember which parts of it they said were from another car, though.

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Saw Transformers last night. Let me begin by saying that I wasn't particularly interested in seeing this movie as the Transformer phase came along when I was too old to get into that craze, so I always thought it was kind of stupid. That being said, I really enjoyed the movie. The autobots and decepticons were awesome. Definitely not something that 1980's technology could have done justice to in making a movie. The movie attempted much humor which wasn't too bad. Shia LeBouef did a good job. The girl was hot, hot, hot. Bumblebee was baaaaaaaad. I now don't know if I want a classic camaro or if I want to get the new concept camaro. I thought there could be more interaction between the autobots and the decepticons, but there was enough there to please the eye. It's truly amazing what people can do in movies nowadays. I really recommend his movie. There is a good deal of cursing in it, but I don't remember any "F" words. Still, I probably wouldn't have brought my 4 year old if I had known there would be this degree of cursing. I mean it wasn't every scene, but it was enough to make me rethink my decision. All in all, in my opinion, I enjoyed this movie much, much better than I did POTC3, but that may be because I expected great things from POTC3 and not Transformers.
    I have a co'worker that lovesssss his super heros and he loves him some transformers. He came in the morning after he saw the movie and said that, and I quote, "Tranformers was the BEST movie i've ever seen". Told me this morning that his brother went and saw it in Minn and he called my co'worker the second he got out of the theater. Said he was so pumped about what he had just seen that he thought he was gonna cry.

Me thinks someone needed to be outside playing more football/baseball or fishing/hunting when they were younger :icon_wink:

sounds like a good action movie with some good special effects so i'll probally see it myself, but, i dont think i'll be getting to emotional.

also, went to rottentomatos.com just to see what the overall rating was. It was a bigg'o green squisher drawing only a 59% rating.

Champ bluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond repute bluecrew's Avatar

Incredible movie and I wasnt a big fan of the cartoon as a kid. I did however also like all of the Pirate movies. Even the future Mrs. Fox loved it, Great Flick!!!

Big Dog TechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her game TechSupporter11's Avatar

On special effects alone, this film was off the charts...some of the best CGI you'll ever see (thus far) with the unbelievable detail put into it...Michael Bay did a tremendous job with the visuals as he always does...even the cast was perfectly selected in my opinion, and the soundtrack/music composition really kept the pace going...

However, the script needed a touch-up...there were too many parts where a very minor character had one line of dialogue trying to create comedy and failed along with some very elementary jokes that really hurt the overall tone...to me, too much of an imbalance between comedy and action...but the action, oh my you gotta see this film for the action...

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

I give it a C, (which is an A+ for Michael Bay movies). It was definitely lacking in several areas:

1. The script was just plain bad. Real Bad. Michael Bay bad. Granted, I may not have been the intended audience. A fact revealed to me in the opening scene when the subtitle says "Qatar - The Middle East". As opposed to Qatar, Nevada or Qatar 90210. Aside from that, there were several times I winced while watching. Examples: Optimus Prime saying "My bad"; anything coming out of Jazz's voice module; a 15 minute long masturbation joke, etc.... . I won't even elaborate on how they butchered Jazz. Imagine a robot doing an impersonation of Dave Chapelle doing an impersonation of Rick James.

2. Character development. The movie is supposed to be about giant robots, yet we get over an hour of a 2 1/2 movie dealing with nothing but 2 humans and an awkward teenage crush scenario. Because of this, when one of the Autobots gets killed (I won't spoil it), I was like "meh. That sucks, I guess". I think they could have spent a little more time building the Autobot-human bond and a little less time trying to figure out which K-Tel Super Sounds of the 70's anthem will loosen up Megan Fox. There are several other missed opportunities that weren't exploited. Well, we can always hope for sequels.

3. Obvious logic Flaws - Okay, so this All-Spark mass shifts from this 8,000 cubic foot block to a Hellraiser toy that fits into Shia Lebouf's hand. Still can't get my mind around that one. Secondly, when they find it, they want to keep it away from the fast pursuing Decepticons, so that they can save life on planet earth. So, what do we do? I know, let's fly it into the 2nd largest city in the United States - preferably downtown!

4. The action sequences - Imagine taking an aluminum recycling bin, welding everything together, and rolling off a hill with a closeup camera nearby. You would have basically the last 45 minutes of the movie. And can someone please show Bay how to use a steady cam? Half the time I couldn't tell who was getting their ass kicked, but then again, I'm getting to be pretty old.

That said, there were a few positives.

1. Megan Fox - nice.

2. Acting performances from the human actors. I thought Shia Lebouf did an excellent job in the lead role. And did I mention Megan Fox? Jon Voigt played the same character he's played in every single movie. I forgot where I was in one scene and briefly thought I was watching Varsity Blues in the theater again. Maybe not a positive, but not necessarily a negative. (exception - the John Turturro character was ridiculous. Only Michael Bay can take an actor I really respect and turn him into excrement).

3. Probably foremost was the CGI. It was the best I've ever seen in any movie. Including LOTR. This technology is really reaching its zenith.

I guess at face value it is what it is. A light-fare, blow-crap-up summer movie. But as a fan of the toys and comic books back in the '80's, I was wishing for more. Instead I got Armageddon with robots. I could see how people could go and be entertained, but for anyone who says it was the best movie they've ever seen, I would recommend that they see more movies. Start with the first two Godfathers.

Champ bluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond repute bluecrew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDawg View Post
    I give it a C, (which is an A+ for Michael Bay movies). It was definitely lacking in several areas:

1. The script was just plain bad. Real Bad. Michael Bay bad. Granted, I may not have been the intended audience. A fact revealed to me in the opening scene when the subtitle says "Qatar - The Middle East". As opposed to Qatar, Nevada or Qatar 90210. Aside from that, there were several times I winced while watching. Examples: Optimus Prime saying "My bad"; anything coming out of Jazz's voice module; a 15 minute long masturbation joke, etc.... . I won't even elaborate on how they butchered Jazz. Imagine a robot doing an impersonation of Dave Chapelle doing an impersonation of Rick James.

2. Character development. The movie is supposed to be about giant robots, yet we get over an hour of a 2 1/2 movie dealing with nothing but 2 humans and an awkward teenage crush scenario. Because of this, when one of the Autobots gets killed (I won't spoil it), I was like "meh. That sucks, I guess". I think they could have spent a little more time building the Autobot-human bond and a little less time trying to figure out which K-Tel Super Sounds of the 70's anthem will loosen up Megan Fox. There are several other missed opportunities that weren't exploited. Well, we can always hope for sequels.

3. Obvious logic Flaws - Okay, so this All-Spark mass shifts from this 8,000 cubic foot block to a Hellraiser toy that fits into Shia Lebouf's hand. Still can't get my mind around that one. Secondly, when they find it, they want to keep it away from the fast pursuing Decepticons, so that they can save life on planet earth. So, what do we do? I know, let's fly it into the 2nd largest city in the United States - preferably downtown!

4. The action sequences - Imagine taking an aluminum recycling bin, welding everything together, and rolling off a hill with a closeup camera nearby. You would have basically the last 45 minutes of the movie. And can someone please show Bay how to use a steady cam? Half the time I couldn't tell who was getting their ass kicked, but then again, I'm getting to be pretty old.

That said, there were a few positives.

1. Megan Fox - nice.

2. Acting performances from the human actors. I thought Shia Lebouf did an excellent job in the lead role. And did I mention Megan Fox? Jon Voigt played the same character he's played in every single movie. I forgot where I was in one scene and briefly thought I was watching Varsity Blues in the theater again. Maybe not a positive, but not necessarily a negative. (exception - the John Turturro character was ridiculous. Only Michael Bay can take an actor I really expect and turn him into excrement).

3. Probably foremost was the CGI. It was the best I've ever seen in any movie. Including LOTR. This technology is really reaching its zenith.

I guess at face value it is what it is. A light-fare, blow-crap-up summer movie. But as a fan of the toys and comic books back in the '80's, I was wishing for more. Instead I got Armageddon with robots. I could see how people could go and be entertained, but for anyone who says it was the best movie they've ever seen, I would recommend that they see more movies. Start with the first two Godfathers.

Thought it was an incredible film, just not the best I have ever seen. Yes I have seen the Godfathers. Wouldnt change a thing, thought it was a good mix of comedy and action.

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bluecrew View Post
    Thought it was an incredible film, just not the best I have ever seen. Yes I have seen the Godfathers. Wouldnt change a thing, thought it was a good mix of comedy and action.
    Vive' Le Difference.

Champ MattB is a jewel in the roughMattB is a jewel in the roughMattB is a jewel in the roughMattB is a jewel in the roughMattB is a jewel in the roughMattB is a jewel in the roughMattB is a jewel in the roughMattB is a jewel in the roughMattB is a jewel in the roughMattB is a jewel in the roughMattB is a jewel in the rough MattB's Avatar

Loved it, and am going to see it again this weekend.

I agree on Tuturo's character, AD. I thought he was ridiculous, but then I remembered that the inspiration of the movie was a children's cartoon from 20 years ago and it all fit into place. I thought the script was weak, too, but once again, consider the inspiration of the movie, but some of the comedy worked. I agree with you, also, on the development of the robots' characters which is what I was trying to convey in my initial post. You come away with the sense that the movie is more about the humans than the robots, and when Prime offers his sacrifice, it's not really an emotional tug at the audience and it really should be. The closest thing to sadness I felt for the machines was when Bumblebee had his problem (don't want to give this part away either) because they did develop him more than the others. I agree with you about the autobot who died, too. It wasn't really a big deal in the movie. In fact, I was like you and really didn't know who was who except Prime and Bumblebee and sometimes was confused with who was who on the Decepticons. I got confused a few times on who was the bad guys v. the good guys was in the fighting as well.

All that said, I thought the movie was really good. I would see it again mainly to catch on some stuff I think I missed. I would recommend it and do rate it better than a C. I liked it as much as Spidey 3 and POTC 3, but then again, I was just plain tired of those movies and really only watched them because I felt I had to.

I agree on Tuturo's character, AD. I thought he was ridiculous, but then I remembered that the inspiration of the movie was a children's cartoon from 20 years ago and it all fit into place. I thought the script was weak, too, but once again, consider the inspiration of the movie, but some of the comedy worked. I agree with you, also, on the development of the robots' characters which is what I was trying to convey in my initial post. You come away with the sense that the movie is more about the humans than the robots, and when Prime offers his sacrifice, it's not really an emotional tug at the audience and it really should be. The closest thing to sadness I felt for the machines was when Bumblebee had his problem (don't want to give this part away either) because they did develop him more than the others. I agree with you about the autobot who died, too. It wasn't really a big deal in the movie. In fact, I was like you and really didn't know who was who except Prime and Bumblebee and sometimes was confused with who was who on the Decepticons. I got confused a few times on who was the bad guys v. the good guys was in the fighting as well.

All that said, I thought the movie was really good. I would see it again mainly to catch on some stuff I think I missed. I would recommend it and do rate it better than a C. I liked it as much as Spidey 3 and POTC 3, but then again, I was just plain tired of those movies and really only watched them because I felt I had to.

That was my biggest problem couldnt tell who was good or bad at times.

Hey Austindawg, just one more thing. If you had known the All-spark was buried in that dam, I bet you would have made a better effort to go see it when we were visiting Rick several years ago.

Yeah, and maybe Megatron could've transformed himself into a pickup truck with a functional transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDawg View Post
    Yeah, and maybe Megatron could've transformed himself into a pickup truck with a functional transmission.
    Megatron was the airplane. We'd have needed Optimus Prime or even the one that was a Hummer.

+ Reply to Thread