+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quitting smoking

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quitting smoking

I have an employee who is a smoker and says he wants to quit. I thought I remembered reading a thread on here in which someone posted that he quit smoking and didn't use the pouch and that this method he used was really effective. I can't remember the thread it was on and was wondering if anyone does, or if the person who posted it reads this will tell me what he did or anybody else who has a way that can help a man who's been smoking for more years than I've been alive quit.

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

Re: Quitting smoking

I don't remember the thread but it was Marktdawg that posted about something he used to help stop dipping. I'll tell you how I quit but I don't recomend it. I went on a 3 day drinking (and golf) binge and lit one cigarette off the last one over and over again (this was by design). By the third day the thought of another cigarette made me ill. After that I carried around a cigar in my pocket and if I really got the urge to smoke I would have a cigar but not inhale. After about 2 weeks I no longer needed the cigar( I still have one now and then). 15 years of trying every way in the world to stop and go figure this is what worked. Been off the death sticks now for 8 years and never felt ...., well I don't feel too bad.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoDawg View Post
    I don't remember the thread but it was Marktdawg that posted about something he used to help stop dipping. I'll tell you how I quit but I don't recomend it. I went on a 3 day drinking (and golf) binge and lit one cigarette off the last one over and over again (this was by design). By the third day the thought of another cigarette made me ill. After that I carried around a cigar in my pocket and if I really got the urge to smoke I would have a cigar but not inhale. After about 2 weeks I no longer needed the cigar( I still have one now and then). 15 years of trying every way in the world to stop and go figure this is what worked. Been off the death sticks now for 8 years and never felt ...., well I don't feel too bad.
    I'll pass it by him, but I really can't afford for him to go on a 3 day drinking binge. I need him at work. He's a Vietnam vet, so I don't really think the drinking's a good idea anyway. Thanks, though. And now that you mention it, I think what I was remembering was marketdawg's post, so I don't guess that'll really help out.

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

Like I said "I don't recomend it". I have a friend that is trying the same thing that Market did I'll try to find out what it is called.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoDawg View Post
    Like I said "I don't recomend it". I have a friend that is trying the same thing that Market did I'll try to find out what it is called.
    I found the thread. It looks like it should work for any type of nicotine addiction. I think it's prescription, though. Thanks for the reminder on where to find it.

No problem, anyone that really wants to quit smoking can do so. I wish your employee all the luck. I don't think it would be tough to get that prescription.

Champ deadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to behold deadawg's Avatar

There is a new drug on the market that has had a lot of success with my patients. It is called Chantix. The starter pack runs about $115.00 for 1 month and the continuing pack is about $120.00 a month. It is marketed as the same price as a pack a day for 1 month. It does, however, require a prescription.

Quote Originally Posted by deadawg View Post
    There is a new drug on the market that has had a lot of success with my patients. It is called Chantix. The starter pack runs about $115.00 for 1 month and the continuing pack is about $120.00 a month. It is marketed as the same price as a pack a day for 1 month. It does, however, require a prescription.

Thanks for the information. That's the stuff marketdawg suggested in another thread. I've pasased it on to my employee, so I guess we'll see how serious he is about it.

Champ JAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond repute JAB's Avatar

FYI, the gum is not as bad as it use to be. It now has a hard minty shell that helps alot with the taste problem from the past. Also, I am currently on my sixth week smoke free. I say that to say, I asked a family member who is a doctor if he could right me a prescription for something to help me stop. He told me he would but that he is not impressed AT ALL with anything currently on the market to help. He recogmended finding an online or local group that is designed as a support group. He said he had seen too many people spend alot of money on prescriptions only to still be hooked on them after the prescription was gone.

IMO the patch sucks. I would have these weird dreams if I kept them on all night. The level one patches would leave blisters on my arm. And it never took care of the oral fixation. The gum really is working well for me. I started off with a piece everytime I would want a cigarette. After a couple of days I would replace one or two pieces a day with regular gum. And slowly over three weeks I replaced every piece of Nicorette with regular gum. I am now only chewing the gum when I have had a couple of drinks around smokers. (can't give up all my vises!)

Quote Originally Posted by JAB View Post
    FYI, the gum is not as bad as it use to be. It now has a hard minty shell that helps alot with the taste problem from the past. Also, I am currently on my sixth week smoke free. I say that to say, I asked a family member who is a doctor if he could right me a prescription for something to help me stop. He told me he would but that he is not impressed AT ALL with anything currently on the market to help. He recogmended finding an online or local group that is designed as a support group. He said he had seen too many people spend alot of money on prescriptions only to still be hooked on them after the prescription was gone.

IMO the patch sucks. I would have these weird dreams if I kept them on all night. The level one patches would leave blisters on my arm. And it never took care of the oral fixation. The gum really is working well for me. I started off with a piece everytime I would want a cigarette. After a couple of days I would replace one or two pieces a day with regular gum. And slowly over three weeks I replaced every piece of Nicorette with regular gum. I am now only chewing the gum when I have had a couple of drinks around smokers. (can't give up all my vises!)
    According to Jangles, that was why you kept him around.

Champ JAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond repute JAB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    According to Jangles, that was why you kept him around.
    You are a sick, sick man Dirty.

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    Thanks for the information. That's the stuff marketdawg suggested in another thread. I've pasased it on to my employee, so I guess we'll see how serious he is about it.
    Chantix apparently is not for everyone, it worked great for my brother-in-law, but quite a different story for me.
    I felt like I was going to become an ax murderer after the second week of Chantix, not to mention the anxiety an nightmares that I experienced. This stuff really messed with my head.
    My advice if you are going to try chantix is; prepare your family, make sure you have a relatively low stress schedule ahead of you for the next couple of weeks, and try to give yourself plenty of time for rest. I don't think everyone will experience the what I did with it, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared for it.
    I wish the best of luck to anyone trying to quit smoking, it is a terrible habit that you will find yourself enslaved to before you know it.

Big Dog exit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really nice exit84's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAB View Post

Jab
    That is exactly how I quit after 30 Years. This Sept will be 2 years, and I still like Big Red gum.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

I personally knew this lady (she was a friend of our family for years and years) who used the nicotine patch to try to stop smoking.

Not too long after she started using this method, she ended up in the emergency room (later, the hospital). Everyone thought she was having a major heart attack. The family was amazed, as she had no previous history in this regard.

The doctors finally "got it" after she mentioned that she had cut her nicotine patches into two pieces to "save money". Duh. Beware of nicotine leakage if you use the patch; and don't slice them up to save money. It's definitely false economy; or, it was in this instance.

Champ saltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your time saltydawg's Avatar

The best way to stop smoking is to (1) sincerely request supernatural intervention, (2) aggressively rip up any cigarettes in your posssesion, (3) use self-hypnosis, and most important of all, (4) don't stop trying to stop after relapses. It is basically a habit and is best broken by substituting another habit it its place.

"All roads lead to Putin" -- Thomas Jefferson

+ Reply to Thread