+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar

Harry Potter

So, who is going to see HP and the OOTP this week? I'm definately going, but don't know if it will be this week or not.

And while I'm on it, who's going to wait in line for Deathly Hallows? I've got mine pre-purchased and will be there to get it, but won't make it an all-night affair.

I started reading the books because I knew my kids would want to and I wanted to know what they were all about. I and my wife have gotten hooked. My 8 year old daughter has read through OOTP and loves them. We're holding off letting her read HBP. She started by really wanting to see the movies but we told her she couldn't until she read the book.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Re: Harry Potter

I will probably see it the second weekend -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

I've never really been able to get into the movies. Every movie I keep thinking that Harry is going to open a can of whoop ass on the bad guy. But it seems like he just gets lucky. Should we expect some cans of whoop ass being opened during this movie?

Big Dog TechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her game TechSupporter11's Avatar

I'll be there for the midnight showing...FYI to the Harry Potter fans, Celebrity Theatres is having 2 midnight showings tomorrow night (July 10th)...

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    I've never really been able to get into the movies. Every movie I keep thinking that Harry is going to open a can of whoop ass on the bad guy. But it seems like he just gets lucky. Should we expect some cans of whoop ass being opened during this movie?
    Nope. It hasn't happened in the books yet, so I can't see it happening in the movies. In fact, the bad guys figure the luck thing out, too, just like you did.

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar

It never has been about Harry opening up a can of whoop on Voldemort. Voldemort was one of the most powerful wizards of all time. Harry is just a kid. He will never be able to go spell for spell against the "Dark Lord". To me, it has always been about a kid willing to face his fears and not back down when faced with adversity. He fights and keeps going after Voldemort because it is the right thing to do, even if it costs him dearly. However, OOTP SHOULD have the biggest wizard fight scene yet that takes place near the end in the Ministry of Magic.

Chris

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the movie was excellent!

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

I liked it and am ready for the next one already!

Think I might go see it again next week!

We went and saw it yesterday. I thought it was, by far, the best one YET! I had read a few of the reviews of people who went to the midnight showing over on mugglenet.com and found their opinions to be way off base from my thoughts.

A few comments:

Not enough of Tonks, but the face changing at the table was pretty good.
    Luna was almost exactly how I pictured her, but many may think she was a C actress, she played the part well.
    The thestrals were great! The addition of the baby was really nice.
    MAN, Ginny needs to watch out with that wand! She can REALLY hurt somebody with that thing!!!
    I hated Umbridge more every time I saw her.
    What can I say about the final fight scene? WOW!!! It was tough to follow in the Room of Prophesy and the room with the arch, but I didn't feel let down at ALL when Voldemort and Dumbledore started their battle. Knowing the J.K. consulted, it makes you really wonder about how in the world Harry could possibly hope to kill Voldemort in Deathly Hallows if it comes to a battle of magic! Harry can't HOPE to stand up to some of that action!

GREAT movie and I'd recommend anyone who has followed the others or read the books to rank this as a MUST SEE. It stayed true to the book and, unlike GOF and POA, I didn't come out with a set list of scenes they had changed or omitted that I thought really needed to be there. The one exception was ***SPOILER*** Cho being the one who betrayed the DAs. Although I know why they did it, it was a way to end the relationship quickly and they didn't have time to do it the right way from the book. It worked out pretty well.

Chris

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgFan View Post
    We went and saw it yesterday. I thought it was, by far, the best one YET! I had read a few of the reviews of people who went to the midnight showing over on mugglenet.com and found their opinions to be way off base from my thoughts.

A few comments:

Not enough of Tonks, but the face changing at the table was pretty good.
    Luna was almost exactly how I pictured her, but many may think she was a C actress, she played the part well.
    The thestrals were great! The addition of the baby was really nice.
    MAN, Ginny needs to watch out with that wand! She can REALLY hurt somebody with that thing!!!
    I hated Umbridge more every time I saw her.
    What can I say about the final fight scene? WOW!!! It was tough to follow in the Room of Prophesy and the room with the arch, but I didn't feel let down at ALL when Voldemort and Dumbledore started their battle. Knowing the J.K. consulted, it makes you really wonder about how in the world Harry could possibly hope to kill Voldemort in Deathly Hallows if it comes to a battle of magic! Harry can't HOPE to stand up to some of that action!

GREAT movie and I'd recommend anyone who has followed the others or read the books to rank this as a MUST SEE. It stayed true to the book and, unlike GOF and POA, I didn't come out with a set list of scenes they had changed or omitted that I thought really needed to be there. The one exception was ***SPOILER*** Cho being the one who betrayed the DAs. Although I know why they did it, it was a way to end the relationship quickly and they didn't have time to do it the right way from the book. It worked out pretty well.

Chris
    I think that's the point that JK is going to stress. If you remember, it some obscure "folk" magic that protected Harry the first time. I think that's what you'll end up seeing in DH. The reason is because it's Voldemort's purpose to enslave and/or kill all muggles and Harry has some muggle blood in him. Therefore, I think you'll see that being the key that there is some kind of "muggle magic" that's out of the realm of true wizards to learn or overcome which would be one reason that the wizards aren't dominant now.

Interesting thought. Haven't thought about it that way before.

After having looked at the UK children's cover, I tend to think that he'll kill him by the sword, Gryfindor's sword to be specific.

Now for the two real questions:

1. Is Snape good or evil? And,
    2. Is Harry, himself, the seventh Horcrux?

After rereading several times, I THINK the answers are Good and No. But I'm probably in the minority.

2005 NFL Survivor Contest Champion RXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of light RXDAWG's Avatar

No, I think you're right Chris. Rowling has always implied that Snape was "good" and in the 7th book would have a chance to "redeem" himself. As far as Harry being a horcrux, that thought has crossed my mind MANY times. So, for Voldemort to truly "die", Harry would have to die. And that is what the prophecy says, isn't it. So, will Harry sacrifice himself for to protect all of mankind, I don't know. If he is a horcrux, he has to.

On Snape, I picked up a little clue the other day rereading HBP. At the beginning, Dumbledore tells Harry he want him to keep his cloak with him at all times, even when at Hogwarts. Why would he tell him this? Because he knew that Voldemort's plan was to get people into the castle. How? Snape had to tell him.

I personally don't think he is the last Horcrux. The prophesy reads that "Either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives." I don't take that to mean that he HAS to die, only that one of them has to. Of course, J.K. has said that Harry ends with her and she will make sure no one else can pick up and steal his character in unauthorized sequels, and how do you do that other than kill him off. If really hope she doesn't, but it is DEFINATELY a possibility.

Chris

Champ TECHLAX is a name known to allTECHLAX is a name known to allTECHLAX is a name known to allTECHLAX is a name known to allTECHLAX is a name known to allTECHLAX is a name known to allTECHLAX is a name known to allTECHLAX is a name known to allTECHLAX is a name known to allTECHLAX is a name known to allTECHLAX is a name known to all TECHLAX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgFan View Post
    Interesting thought. Haven't thought about it that way before.

After having looked at the UK children's cover, I tend to think that he'll kill him by the sword, Gryfindor's sword to be specific.

Now for the two real questions:

1. Is Snape good or evil? And,
    2. Is Harry, himself, the seventh Horcrux?

After rereading several times, I THINK the answers are Good and No. But I'm probably in the minority.
    We will find out soon enough...the last book comes out Saturday!!!

Yep. I'll be there to pick it up Friday night.

Chris

+ Reply to Thread