71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

43 60.56%
  • No

28 39.44%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trenton, Louisiana??

Champ rebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond repute rebelboi's Avatar

Trenton, Louisiana??

Trenton, Louisiana..........Proposal surfaces to change West Monroe's name
    by Joe Durham, Jr. - posted Wednesday, July 11th, 2007 @ 9:28 pm E-mail This Story | Print This Story West Monroe Mayor Dave Norris unveiled Tuesday that a proposal is being entertained to change the name of West Monroe to Trenton.

Norris gave members of the West Monroe Board of Aldermen a copy of a letter the West Monroe/West Ouachita Chamber of Commerce sent the mayor, inquiring what the process would entail to change the name of the city. The letter from the chamber also asked Norris and the city in general, including the board of aldermen, to proceed immediately on a number of fronts to change the name of West Monroe.

Norris gave aldermen the letter during the board of aldermen's regular meeting.

Signed by chamber president Charlie Simpson and community development committee co-chairman Ron Stewart, the letter from the chamber said, "The members of our (chamber of commerce) Executive Committee, Board of Directors, and Community Development Committee unanimously recommend that the City of West Monroe consider changing its name to Trenton, La."

The letter asked Norris and he city to "commence a process including the following: No. 1, outline the process (to change the name of West Monroe to Trenton); No. 2, (outline) the advantages and disadvantage (concerning name change); No. 3, (determine) costs involved to local businesses and City of West Monroe (concerning name change); No. 4, (determine) approximate time-line for implementation (of name change)."

"This recommendation was reached after numerous deliberations, over a long period of time, and by a cross section of business, civic and community leaders," the letter said.

Norris said he welcomes the idea of changing the name of the city. He also said he has asked Bruce Fleming, city planner for West Monroe, to begin gathering the information needed to determine the steps the city would need to take to change its name to Trenton.

"I think it's an excellent idea," Norris said. "I think it certainly is worthy of consideration."
    "This has been talked about for years," he said. "I've always said that while I personally see a lot of merit in the proposal to change the name of the city I think this is a proposal that should come from the people of the community and not from the city."

Norris pointed out that voters in West Monroe would have to pass a referendum to change the city's name to Trenton, though he said many questions must be answered if the city pursues the name change.

Bert Hatten, a former mayor of West Monroe who often is credited for laying the groundwork for the growth West Monroe enjoys today, said he supports changing West Monroe's name to Trenton.

"I'm absolutely for it, and I will support it wholeheartedly," said Hatten, who also owned and published The Ouachita Citizen for more than 20 years.

"Personally, I would favor creating a city/parish government west of the river called Trenton, free and independent of the rest of the parish," Hatten said.

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

Re: Trenton, Louisiana??

Sounds retarded to me
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Just out of the pure scare of what would happen to West Monroe High School's name this will fail.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Juice752 View Post
    Just out of the pure scare of what would happen to West Monroe High School's name this will fail.
    Instead of West Monroe High School Rebel's, they would be called Trenton High School Rebel's... That is, if the school board changes the school's name. They could keep it the way it is.

Big Dog LTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the rough LTUIronDawg's Avatar

I accidently clicked yes but meant to vote NO. I can understand that they don't want to be associated with Monroe but want good will it really do? How will that impact the business and residents with a name change? Business names and corporations set up with "West Monroe" in the title. Will that force the businesses to change names, signages, and such? Kinda like NLU changed their name to ULM. It's still the same place.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Is there any historical reason for this? I expected the article to tell some story about how a village called Trenton once existed in what is now West Monroe blah blah blah so a name change would have historical significance.

I've always wondered about Trenton. In Ruston we have Trenton and Vienna. Vienna goes to Vienna, why doesn't Trenton go to Trenton?

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    Is there any historical reason for this? I expected the article to tell some story about how a village called Trenton once existed in what is now West Monroe blah blah blah so a name change would have historical significance.

I've always wondered about Trenton. In Ruston we have Trenton and Vienna. Vienna goes to Vienna, why doesn't Trenton go to Trenton?
    I believe it was originally called Trenton. If so, I think it is a good idea.

Next, though, Monroe should change their name to East Trenton. ulm can change their name to East Trenton College. ull can change their name to University of Trenton to try to make sure people think they are the flagship. Of course, all mascots will have to change names, as well.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Here you go, Brian:
    http://www.usacitiesonline.com/lacou...oe.htm#history

I say all the more power to them. Louisiana is rich in history and it deserves protecting. The name West Monroe has hurt the ability of that town to seperate itself. It was a mistake to begin with and, if I lived there, I would be fighting for it.

Champ roughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to behold roughedge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post

All the north-south streets in downtown Ruston were named after local towns, although some no longer exist-Trenton, Vienna, Bonner, Monroe, Sparta, Homer, Minden, Vernon, etc. West Monroe was originally called Trenton from pre-Civil War up through the 1880s.

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    I believe it was originally called Trenton. If so, I think it is a good idea.

Next, though, Monroe should change their name to East Trenton. ulm can change their name to East Trenton College. ull can change their name to University of Trenton to try to make sure people think they are the flagship. Of course, all mascots will have to change names, as well.
    If at first you don't succeed,
    ...change your name
    ...change your mascot
    ...redefine success
    ...change the name of your town

Champ garddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to behold

My mother's family came from Monroe and it is not the best of cities in Louisiana.

I think that having that seperate name will give W Monroe a more positive spin. West Monroe just sounds like it is still Monroe just a little different. No one thinks that Shreveport - Bossier City are the same or Alexandria - Pineville are the same so maybe this will help give them more of a distinct identity.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Here you go, Brian:
    http://www.usacitiesonline.com/lacou...oe.htm#history

I say all the more power to them. Louisiana is rich in history and it deserves protecting. The name West Monroe has hurt the ability of that town to seperate itself. It was a mistake to begin with and, if I lived there, I would be fighting for it.
    There you go.

Imagine Dave Norris (WM Mayor) making a call to a corperate executive who gets wires crossed and thinks it is Jamie Mayo (Monroe Mayor) who they have spoken with before. Now it woudn't take long for the corperate exec. to figure out it was a different person, but talk about starting out a relationship the wrong way! There's no impression like the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    There you go.

Imagine Dave Norris (WM Mayor) making a call to a corperate executive who gets wires crossed and thinks it is Jamie Mayo (Monroe Mayor) who they have spoken with before. Now it woudn't take long for the corperate exec. to figure out it was a different person, but talk about starting out a relationship the wrong way! There's no impression like the first one.
    The more interesting information would be why a town re-named themselves as a directional part of another city. Talk about low self esteem....

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Kinda like.... Univ of Louisiana Mon/Laf.

.... sad

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Once upon a time about 35 to 40 years ago Bossier City considered (albeit for a very short while) changing its name to East Shreveport because Bossier City had such a bad reputation...my how times change!
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

+ Reply to Thread