+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Reasons to love Louisiana

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar

Re: Reasons to love Louisiana

Well, if anyone plans to move back, expect to pay a "road use tax" to have your car registered in the state. It will run you over $500 per car unless it is a very old klunker ($500+ for 2005 Ford Sportrac). However, you can always just buy a new car once you arrive.

If you live south of I-12 or in any of the coastal parishes, don't expect to get home insurance. You get the opportunity to go through the citizen's plan and pay $4000+ a year just to insure your home.

They have really rolled out the red carpet and welcome signs for people who want to relocate here.
    Last edited by Dawgbitten; 07-24-2007 at 07:26 PM.

Big Dog bulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of light bulldawg03's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    NYC?
    I lived in NYC. It was OK, and I could consider living there again, but my heart will always be in New Orleans...

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

But when you get past that list of 45 things Louisiana isn't so bad.

Champ garddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to behold

I grew up in Lafayette and miss it as well as Tech a lot.

I really didn't understand the "Joie de vive" of Louisiana until I was here in Georgia for a while.

In Louisiana I always found that we were always looking forward to something (except June, July, and August). Football season with certain fall festivals scattered led into Christmas which led into Mardi Gras which led into Jazz Fest / Festival International(Lafayette) so it was like nine months of something going on with music that you could really get into.

In Atlanta, there is no Mardi Gras season and festivals are no more than really bad arts and crafts and some even worse little bands. There is football but in Atlanta you ride the train down to the dome watch the game and ride back. In New Orleans, you get to the Quarter early and tailgate or hit a bar or 2, Go to the game and dance in the stands, and then back to the quarter to continue the celebration(win or loss).

I like Atlanta because you can't beat the business atmosphere and the weather all year long is great (they will tell you it gets hot and humid in the Summer but its nothing compared to S. Louisiana). There is great things about both places but sadly the great things don't overlap.

Oh, and of the food is no contest, hands down Louisiana.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by garddawg View Post
    I grew up in Lafayette and miss it as well as Tech a lot.

I really didn't understand the "Joie de vive" of Louisiana until I was here in Georgia for a while.

In Louisiana I always found that we were always looking forward to something (except June, July, and August). Football season with certain fall festivals scattered led into Christmas which led into Mardi Gras which led into Jazz Fest / Festival International(Lafayette) so it was like nine months of something going on with music that you could really get into.

In Atlanta, there is no Mardi Gras season and festivals are no more than really bad arts and crafts and some even worse little bands. There is football but in Atlanta you ride the train down to the dome watch the game and ride back. In New Orleans, you get to the Quarter early and tailgate or hit a bar or 2, Go to the game and dance in the stands, and then back to the quarter to continue the celebration(win or loss).

I like Atlanta because you can't beat the business atmosphere and the weather all year long is great (they will tell you it gets hot and humid in the Summer but its nothing compared to S. Louisiana). There is great things about both places but sadly the great things don't overlap.

Oh, and of the food is no contest, hands down Louisiana.

Man. Did you see that list? Everybody is just so happy to be alive that it's cause for nearly year round celebration.

Champ garddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to behold

Of course I also grew up Lafayette which is still the most progressive and growing of the established cities. But Lafayette and Acadiana is like the overacheiving little genius that is forced to live with his brothers and sisters in the run down little shack across the railroad tracks.

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by garddawg View Post
    Of course I also grew up Lafayette which is still the most progressive and growing of the established cities. But Lafayette and Acadiana is like the overacheiving little genius that is forced to live with his brothers and sisters in the run down little shack across the railroad tracks.
    Easy, big fella. Lafayette has its nice parts, but it is still a Louisiana city and any perceived differences are minor in the overall scheme of things. The main one being that the locals are in denial about it, which is a nice thing in and of itself (false pride is better than no pride).

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg03 View Post
    I live in New Orleans. Born and raised. While I admit the city and the state have their faults, I wouldn't live anywhere else. I could go into a long, drawn out explanation, but I'm sure there's at least one other person who will agree with me.

To me, anywhere else would be boring...
    I feel the same way about New Orleans. Wish I could move back right now - still waiting on the right job there. East Texas is as bland as it gets. I live outside of Tyler and, believe me, it is the same as living in Dallas - looks just like a Dallas suburb in most parts of the city. One day I will be back to Louisiana. I need to retire again.

Bulldog dawgette seems to have something between the earsdawgette seems to have something between the earsdawgette seems to have something between the earsdawgette seems to have something between the earsdawgette seems to have something between the earsdawgette seems to have something between the earsdawgette seems to have something between the ears dawgette's Avatar

after living in one of the most beautiful places in the world (jackson hole, wyoming), it took me a while to appreciate being in louisiana, but now, i can tell you it is just as pretty as most places...

the thing that irks me about living here is the fact that this land is GREATLY underappreciated. there is very little "pride of ownership" from the people that live here. i'm so sick of seeing people throw out entire bags of trash out their car windows, letting their yard outgrow itself, junk cars/tractors/rusty tin/woodpiles/, litter the waterways with everything imaginable... etc, etc...

cypress trees in a misty morning bayou, cranes majestically flying overhead, a good day bass fishing on bayou desiard, watching the sunset at the dam on lake d'arbonne, crop dusters swooping down over the cotton... heck, even the fact that this is the only place alligator snapping turtles live is pretty dang cool to me.

the only difference between louisiana and every other place in america is there is not enough people here that truly give a damn.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Champ TulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her game TulsaDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawgette View Post
    the thing that irks me about living here is the fact that this land is GREATLY underappreciated. there is very little "pride of ownership" from the people that live here. i'm so sick of seeing people throw out entire bags of trash out their car windows, letting their yard outgrow itself, junk cars/tractors/rusty tin/woodpiles/, litter the waterways with everything imaginable... etc, etc...

the only difference between louisiana and every other place in america is there is not enough people here that truly give a damn.
    I agree. Sometimes you need to leave a place and then return in order to really "see" it as it is.
    Go Tech!

Champ daybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time daybreaker2's Avatar

I live in New Orleans. Born and raised. While I admit the city and the state have their faults, I wouldn't live anywhere else. I could go into a long, drawn out explanation, but I'm sure there's at least one other person who will agree with me.

To me, anywhere else would be boring...
    I agree with you.

I lived in Albany for a few years, and while I loved being 2-4 hours from NYC, Montreal, Philadelphia, and Boston, and didnt mind the snow at all, I still had to move back here.
    "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt

Big Dog bulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of light bulldawg03's Avatar

Where do you work, day?

Champ daybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time daybreaker2's Avatar

Where do you work, day?
    I work for a web development company called Mudbug Media, on the 23rd floor of Canal Place. My office has a window overlooking the French Quarter, which is awesome by itself, but I also actually like my job too. :-P
    "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt

Champ bluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond repute bluecrew's Avatar

You forgot best looking women!!!!

Champ Tech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to behold Tech78's Avatar

Only one reason to love Louisiana ---- Louisiana Tech

+ Reply to Thread