73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hank Aaron

58 79.45%
  • Barry Bonds

15 20.55%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's your home run king?

Varsity Bulldog persnickety Ultimate jerk and not worth your timepersnickety Ultimate jerk and not worth your timepersnickety Ultimate jerk and not worth your timepersnickety Ultimate jerk and not worth your timepersnickety Ultimate jerk and not worth your timepersnickety Ultimate jerk and not worth your timepersnickety Ultimate jerk and not worth your timepersnickety Ultimate jerk and not worth your timepersnickety Ultimate jerk and not worth your timepersnickety Ultimate jerk and not worth your timepersnickety Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Re: Who's your home run king?

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    And still the homerun record was less than 200.

Hank Aaron played with a lower pitchers mound.

Barry Bonds was juiced with a juiced ball.

The man who made home runs a crowd pleaser was Babe Ruth. He is the king, like Elvis, Jerry Lawler, etc.

Oh come off of it. We whites try hard to find athletes to match the skill and accomplishments of today's african-american players. Too many times we overreach and that is exactly what you are doing. Babe was ok for a fatman playing in a league that excluded minorities.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

How many seasons did Babe Ruth pitch?

Champ TulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to behold TulsaPup's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    How many seasons did Babe Ruth pitch?
    From 1914 to 1918 he was primarily a pitcher, 1919 he pitched in 17 games, after that he pitched 5 total games.

Total games played:

1914 (age 19): 5
    1915: 42
    1916: 67
    1917: 52
    1918: 95
    1919: 130

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by persnickety View Post
    Oh come off of it. We whites try hard to find athletes to match the skill and accomplishments of today's african-american players. Too many times we overreach and that is exactly what you are doing. Babe was ok for a fatman playing in a league that excluded minorities.

The juice in Bonds and the balls (baseballs and Barry's) is a big problem. People talk about his hat size changing, try his shoe size changing in his early 30's and not just a little.

The lower mound makes a difference, but I love Hank and unless A-Rod gets through the steriod haze without being implicated AND if he does break it, i'll acknowledge him (dont really like him but he will deserve it more than Barry). Bonds nope not goning to do it. Hank will be the Home Run king until someone passes Bonds.

You can make a legitimate case for Ruth being a better hitter, but Hank did pass him. Bonds just shouldn't be discussed.

The race issue still proves how amazing Ruths accomplishments were because the only black player to rival (maybe surpass, Ruth until Hank) was Gibson.

Personally I would have liked to see Ted Williams numbers with the 5 seasons he gave to the Marines. He ended his career at 521. I would also have liked to see Gibson make the majors (died at age 35)

Champ altadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her game

Its not even close

Sorry, but gotta put you guys through 1 more story tonight. Then 1 in the GW thread. Im on a roll.

When I was a HS freshman in Virginia, 1 Barry Bonds was a rookie at Prince William, Va, 20 miles up the road, with the Pirates Single A. A big park, but guys, I kid you not, I was there and saw young Bonds(18 or 19) and he could not hit the ball out of the park to straight away center. Now, to be fair, ALOT of guys out of HS cant poke it 410 to center with a wooden bat.

But a slugger? He didnt weight but 170. I SWEAR.

The greatest HR hitter of all time? Boys, No. NO, NO, NO, NO. Listen to me. I saw it. I was THERE, and still am.

He was and always will be an amazing ball player in my book. He was amazing back then(86-87?). I knew he would be a starter in the bigs within two, three years. He played mostly right field, batted lead-off, stole every base he wanted. Struckout alot, but he was a winner. He dominated games, but I think he hit 13 homers in 150 games.

When he got to P town, and even SF, look at the frame AND the numbers....

I think hes a hall of famer. In my opinion, 2-3 times better than Mac, 5-10X better than Sosa, infinitely better than others....

but better than Aaron? NEVER.

Champ altadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by DallasDog View Post
    The juice in Bonds and the balls (baseballs and Barry's) is a big problem. People talk about his hat size changing, try his shoe size changing in his early 30's and not just a little.

The lower mound makes a difference, but I love Hank and unless A-Rod gets through the steriod haze without being implicated AND if he does break it, i'll acknowledge him (dont really like him but he will deserve it more than Barry). Bonds nope not goning to do it. Hank will be the Home Run king until someone passes Bonds.

You can make a legitimate case for Ruth being a better hitter, but Hank did pass him. Bonds just shouldn't be discussed.

The race issue still proves how amazing Ruths accomplishments were because the only black player to rival (maybe surpass, Ruth until Hank) was Gibson.

Personally I would have liked to see Ted Williams numbers with the 5 seasons he gave to the Marines. He ended his career at 521. I would also have liked to see Gibson make the majors (died at age 35)
    Other than the Babe, Ted Williams is/was/always will be the most dominate offesive force in baseball of all time. Its that simple.

If not for 2 stents in 2 wars, he woulda hit, seriously, 700 hrs. and his usual(look it up 341. plus 140 walks, 40 doubles)

You couldnt pitch to that man

Liar and Imposter.... Marcus Stribling aka Brian Welch Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeMarcus Stribling aka Brian Welch Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeMarcus Stribling aka Brian Welch Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeMarcus Stribling aka Brian Welch Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeMarcus Stribling aka Brian Welch Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeMarcus Stribling aka Brian Welch Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeMarcus Stribling aka Brian Welch Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeMarcus Stribling aka Brian Welch Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeMarcus Stribling aka Brian Welch Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

TJ Soto is my home run king!

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DallasDog View Post

What does shoe size or head size have to do with homeruns? Why of all the players accused of using the drugs did he shoot up so big? He had a higher work ethic than anyone else. Steroids don't help you hit the ball. They just help you work out or regain stamina quicker. There a legal substitutes that players can take to give them the same benefits of steroids as well. For example to help keep your muscles you gained from deteriating, you can eat cottage cheese and your body will burn that instead of your muscles. There are even all sorts of drugs that are legal that help you fight through sore muscles and regain your strength.

Anyone stuck on his weight his rookie year is crazy. He comes from playing what like 50-60 games a year as a college star to 162 games a year as a pro. He goes from metal bat to wood bat. What rookie isn't going to start to get bigger and stronger to compete in those conditions. Yes this move did not happen after his rookie year but it could be something that hit him about that time. If he wants to achieve his goals he has to increase his typical work out routine. Whether or not he did it through steroids is up for grabs. Everyone wants to jump all over him with no evidence backing this up.

Like it or not Bonds has the record. We can talk all we want about how it is tainted but look at it like this. They guy he hit the homerun off of had a positive test. There are more pitchers being implicated as well. And pitchers are the ones that benefit most from steroids.

Like it or not, they said Bud would not attend games when Barry could break the record. He attended a lot. They said Hank would not say a word about it. He congratulated Barry after the homerun. Maybe we should step away from what they said until they actually prove without a shadow of a doubt that he did it. Because the worst thing anyone could do is shun Bonds now and find out he didn't do what you think he did.

Champ TulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to behold TulsaPup's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Juice752 View Post
    What does shoe size or head size have to do with homeruns? Why of all the players accused of using the drugs did he shoot up so big? He had a higher work ethic than anyone else. Steroids don't help you hit the ball. They just help you work out or regain stamina quicker. There a legal substitutes that players can take to give them the same benefits of steroids as well. For example to help keep your muscles you gained from deteriating, you can eat cottage cheese and your body will burn that instead of your muscles. There are even all sorts of drugs that are legal that help you fight through sore muscles and regain your strength.

Anyone stuck on his weight his rookie year is crazy. He comes from playing what like 50-60 games a year as a college star to 162 games a year as a pro. He goes from metal bat to wood bat. What rookie isn't going to start to get bigger and stronger to compete in those conditions. Yes this move did not happen after his rookie year but it could be something that hit him about that time. If he wants to achieve his goals he has to increase his typical work out routine. Whether or not he did it through steroids is up for grabs. Everyone wants to jump all over him with no evidence backing this up.

Like it or not Bonds has the record. We can talk all we want about how it is tainted but look at it like this. They guy he hit the homerun off of had a positive test. There are more pitchers being implicated as well. And pitchers are the ones that benefit most from steroids.

Like it or not, they said Bud would not attend games when Barry could break the record. He attended a lot. They said Hank would not say a word about it. He congratulated Barry after the homerun. Maybe we should step away from what they said until they actually prove without a shadow of a doubt that he did it. Because the worst thing anyone could do is shun Bonds now and find out he didn't do what you think he did.
    Shoe size and head size have to do with taking HGH, that's the only way they increase when you're full grown. There is no test for HGH right now. If steroids/HGH don't help you, why do so many players take them? They don't help you actually hit the ball, but they do increase muscle, which increases bat speed and distance you can hit the ball. They also allow you to return from injury faster so you miss fewer games. Barry Bonds shot up so much because he is that much better of a player, he was a hall of fame player before 1998 (when he started taking steroids). But, he would never be close to the Home Run record.

Look at his stats. He has a normal career progression until 1999. He has low HR totals his first few years, then has the prime of his career, hitting 40-47 HRs for 3-5 years. Then his numbers decline as he gets into his mid to late 30's. That is pretty much how everybody's career progresses. But with Bonds, he had a resurgence at 34. In 1999 he hit 34 HR despite only playing 102 games, his highest AB per HR average ever. He hits at least 45 HRs every year from 2000 to 2004 (35-39 years old). All of this while playing fewer games than he did in the prime of his career. If you think Bonds has done what he's done naturally, you're either in denial or just stupid. There are mountains of evidence against Bonds, the only thing we don't have on him is a positive drug test becasue HGH can not be tested for. He took steroids only after the 1998 season and through the 1999 season. He quit that because they caused joint problems and injury (hence the huge numbers, but only 102 games). After 1999 he began taking HGH because it doesn't create as many joint and bone injuries.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaPup View Post
    Shoe size and head size have to do with taking HGH, that's the only way they increase when you're full grown. There is no test for HGH right now. If steroids/HGH don't help you, why do so many players take them? They don't help you actually hit the ball, but they do increase muscle, which increases bat speed and distance you can hit the ball. They also allow you to return from injury faster so you miss fewer games. Barry Bonds shot up so much because he is that much better of a player, he was a hall of fame player before 1998 (when he started taking steroids). But, he would never be close to the Home Run record.

Look at his stats. He has a normal career progression until 1999. He has low HR totals his first few years, then has the prime of his career, hitting 40-47 HRs for 3-5 years. Then his numbers decline as he gets into his mid to late 30's. That is pretty much how everybody's career progresses. But with Bonds, he had a resurgence at 34. In 1999 he hit 34 HR despite only playing 102 games, his highest AB per HR average ever. He hits at least 45 HRs every year from 2000 to 2004 (35-39 years old). All of this while playing fewer games than he did in the prime of his career. If you think Bonds has done what he's done naturally, you're either in denial or just stupid. There are mountains of evidence against Bonds, the only thing we don't have on him is a positive drug test becasue HGH can not be tested for. He took steroids only after the 1998 season and through the 1999 season. He quit that because they caused joint problems and injury (hence the huge numbers, but only 102 games). After 1999 he began taking HGH because it doesn't create as many joint and bone injuries.
    While looking at his late career you also see his batting (not just home runs) improves. This is because he was a stubborn player early and later on he finally started listening to his dad and his coaches about waiting for his pitch. On any player you will see his homerun total go up as he becomes a better batter.

On steroids I wold rather see evidence not of if he took him but why they help him as opposed to other means that baseball has legal and had legal during the times of Hank and Ruth (keep in mind it is also reported that Ruth used a testosterone shot to help get over injury). It makes you question every baseball player. How can huge drinkers get over their hangovers to go out there night in and night out and put up great numbers. And my final point on steroids is why blame Bonds when the entire era is juiced. Could Aaron or Ruth put up these numbers facing juiced pitchers as well?

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar

"I'm the boom king BOOM BOOM"

Puppy east has turned a few heads around hereeast has turned a few heads around here

Babe is the greatest baseball player ever.

Hank is the greatest homerun hitter ever.

Barry is the lucky receipeant of technology in baseball ever. He is a very good baseball player (speed, defensive and a great eye), but he has found ways to cheat the system. He is the only one in MLB that is allowed to where the body armor he has.

If you want to find out why he is so consistent, here is a great article:

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/ea..._id=1003621797

Champ randerizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the rough randerizer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rickeydad View Post
    How was Ruth so far ahead of anybody in his time?
    Because he was eating sheep testicles and injecting horse testosterone to get an edge.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by randerizer View Post
    Because he was eating sheep testicles and injecting horse testosterone to get an edge.
    To get an edge and also because sheep testicles taste pretty damn good. (or so I've been told)

Champ AG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the rough AG_jr's Avatar

Where's the option for Roger Maris?

+ Reply to Thread