+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A-rod = Steroids?

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

Re: A-rod = Steroids?

Quote Originally Posted by farright3030 View Post
    By the way, I love the science used in determining a-rod's legitimacy.
    If you want accuracy, might as well go all the way. Chemical tests are so yesterday.

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AG_jr View Post
    Who cares? Regardless of whether or not he used them, it doesn't affect his ability to actually HIT. You still have to have the required hand-eye coordination. If you make contact with a 100 mph fast ball, it's gone. The roids would only result in a farther home-run.
    Sorry son, totally incorrect. The increase in strength results in an increase in bat speed, which means you have a better reaction time. This makes the fast ball easier to hit. Perhaps the biggest boost comes from the added endurance, which means you can hit over and over again and won't have the added fatigue from all of the homers before. While you still need the hand-eye coordination, the added strength makes a huge impact. If it didn't, why would players bother using steroids?

Tony Gywnn was perhaps the greatest hitter of his time. With all those hits, it is too bad he wasn't on steroids. He could have dominated the triple crown.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    I hear people say this alot, but here's a question I have. Isn't there a range in how heavy a bat can be? Wouldn't a heavier bat hit a baseball farther than a light bat? I ask that because I remember watching a little bit of a special about Kirby Puckett before his HOF indoctrination in which he said he was using a light bat so he wouldn't hit alot of long fly balls and instead get more hits. Now, with that in mind, while it still takes the hand-eye coordination to hit the ball, wouldn't it fit that a person who is stronger can increase the weight of his bat and not lose the bat speed necessary to hit the ball farther?
    While a heavier bat hits balls farther than a lighter bat with constant swing speed, the lighter bat swings faster and is the greater advantage. I can find this data again, but when I was taking my ME lab class and did the "softball bat strain experiment," I found a study performed which correlated bat weight with impact. For someone of constant strength, increasing the bat weight reached an optimum and then drastically lowered. The measured variable was the ball speed off the bat.

You are right that a person on steriods could increase their bat size, but they would be perhaps wiser to keep their current bat weight and use the increase in swing speed. Either way, the steroids has an impact.

Champ deadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to behold deadawg's Avatar

The difference between Arod and Barry is Arod's consistency. He has hit 30-50 hrs every year. Barry hit 30-40 hrs until he turned 37 and then he put up video game like numbers, and the year he hit 71 hrs is the year he started with BALCO. If you think it is just speculation that Barry used steroids, read "Game of Shadows." Now I am not condeming Barry because pitchers were using it too.

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

Hey guys, i found a great t-shirt online today. I think its only a one day deal so if you want it, grab it.

http://www.shirtaday.com/

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Whether or not you really think Bonds "cheated" this shirt is still funny.
    This was in the print describing the shirt. I always find it humorous (ironically) when someone makes an off color joke about someone or something else and says these things.

"Whether or not your Catholic, this is still funny."
    "Whether you're a Republican/Democrat, this is still funny."
    "I know this was a tragic death, buy you have to admit, this is still funny."
    etc...

If it's truly funny, you shouldn't have to prequalify it.

Incidentally, I like Bonds. It was funny.

Varsity Bulldog farright3030 has turned a few heads around herefarright3030 has turned a few heads around here farright3030's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post
    Sorry son, totally incorrect. The increase in strength results in an increase in bat speed, which means you have a better reaction time. This makes the fast ball easier to hit. Perhaps the biggest boost comes from the added endurance, which means you can hit over and over again and won't have the added fatigue from all of the homers before. While you still need the hand-eye coordination, the added strength makes a huge impact. If it didn't, why would players bother using steroids?

Tony Gywnn was perhaps the greatest hitter of his time. With all those hits, it is too bad he wasn't on steroids. He could have dominated the triple crown.

While a heavier bat hits balls farther than a lighter bat with constant swing speed, the lighter bat swings faster and is the greater advantage. I can find this data again, but when I was taking my ME lab class and did the "softball bat strain experiment," I found a study performed which correlated bat weight with impact. For someone of constant strength, increasing the bat weight reached an optimum and then drastically lowered. The measured variable was the ball speed off the bat.

You are right that a person on steriods could increase their bat size, but they would be perhaps wiser to keep their current bat weight and use the increase in swing speed. Either way, the steroids has an impact.
    heavier the bat, the slower the bat speed, therefore, the lower the force. My point was with the same person on steroids, bat speed increases. Using a heavier bat would be at his advantage at that point.

Varsity Bulldog farright3030 has turned a few heads around herefarright3030 has turned a few heads around here farright3030's Avatar

Why is this not on the baseball board anymore? Also, check out what came out on cnnsi last night:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Why is this not on the baseball board anymore? Also, check out what came out on cnnsi last night:

I moved it because it has absolutly nothing to do with LOUISIANA TECH baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    I moved it because it has absolutly nothing to do with LOUISIANA TECH baseball.

So no NFL talk on the Football board? No NBA on basketball? WNBA on womens basketball? This has nothing to do with Alumni.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

So no NFL talk on the Football board? No NBA on basketball? WNBA on womens basketball? This has nothing to do with Alumni.
    While it's not perfect, I have been keeping an eye on things and have been managing threads lately. I think that if you check the different sections of the board, you will see a few "moved" links and things like this. When I see that there is a section that is better suited for the thread, then I do move it.

In the Football section, you will see a few threads that are related to College football. There is not a dedicated section for Non-TECH college football, so it stays where it is.

If you have any more questions, you may send me a private message for further discussion.

Champ falcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her game falcon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RhythmDawg View Post
    yes if they allow you to play with less pain. Here, you'll like this one, too.

Posted by Gunslinger
    "The argument that it doesn't help you hit the ball is not airtight by any means. Increased bat speed and improved eye sight are the primary ingredients to home runs and steroids/HGH give you that."

How about contact lenses? Is it fair to those with 20/20 vision and no need for vision correction that others get to wear contact lenses to improve their sight, elevating them to an equal playing field as those with no sight problems? I know, I know. Contact lenses aren't illegal or banned, but I am just adding to my previous point (and trying to stir the pot). But then again, performance enhancing substances that we normally think about were not always banned now, were they. Not to mention, some people can get better than 20/20 vision with corrective lenses. How fair is that?
    You can get 20/15 vision with lasik surgery so why not go for the enhancements that are perfectly legal and yet won't harm you? A personal friend of mine lost a son 2 years ago to the effects of steroids. His son developed a very hot temper and ended up killing his wife and turning the gun on himself. Baseball players from the high school level on up "beat the system" every summer by "beefing up" during the summer and report in the fall with 15-20lbs of mystery muscle. Then they quit taking the roids so they won't test positive during the school year. Ask any division 1 strength and conditioning coach and he will open your eyes to the national problem of steroid usage in NCAA sports.There is random testing but that is done during the season when they are playing. What can you do?

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    While it's not perfect, I have been keeping an eye on things and have been managing threads lately. I think that if you check the different sections of the board, you will see a few "moved" links and things like this. When I see that there is a section that is better suited for the thread, then I do move it.

In the Football section, you will see a few threads that are related to College football. There is not a dedicated section for Non-TECH college football, so it stays where it is.

If you have any more questions, you may send me a private message for further discussion.
    That explains quite a bit then.

In all seriousness, I thought that the pro sports under the alumni section had to deal with Tech ulumni that are currently in the pros. I didn't realize that is meant all pro sports in general. For instance, the threads on Tim Rattay and Luke McCown's progress in the pre-season would belong here as they are Tech alums playing pro sports. I guess I misunderstood the designations.

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar

Sorry. Back when we set this up, we tried to group some general interest forums under the groups that typically have the most interest in them. For example, gaming under students, pro sports under alumni. Sorry for the confusion. The pro sports forum is for ALL pro sports discussions, regardless of alumni. We allow SOME discussions of pro sports to stay on the Tech sports forums because they deal with recent alumni. This is meant to catch the rest of it.

Chris

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar

http://www.latechbbb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32981

+ Reply to Thread