+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Band Vs. Housing

Puppy PearlDawg has turned a few heads around herePearlDawg has turned a few heads around here PearlDawg's Avatar

Angry Band Vs. Housing

So it has been brought to my attention that there might be a slight feud going on this year between housing and band. I know that in the past years there has always been a problem with band camp interfering with housing's RA confrence, but I heard that this year members were actually told to choose one over the other. This seems ridiculous to me in so many ways! First why do they have to choose, does housing or band think that a student is not capable of doing both at the same time. There have been many band members and even drum majors that have done an excellent job at both. I think that housing and band administration need to pull the stick out of their ass and realize that first BAND IS A CLASS and also that being an RA is what gets some people through school. I know that in the past the two sides have been able to get along at least to pull through band camp season and I am wondering what has changed this year that has made it so different. It is a shame that both sides have to risk losing good members and hard workers because administration on both sides can't come to an agreement like grown adults!

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Re: Band Vs. Housing

Yeah I'd heard about people getting the ultimatum do one or the other. Being and Ex-RA and Ex-BoP member I would have been mighty pissed and quit both for being so pigheaded.

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

Band people fighting housing people is kind of like Urkel fighting Milhouse, isn't it?

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Luminaire View Post
    Band people fighting housing people is kind of like Urkel fighting Milhouse, isn't it?

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Luminaire View Post

Maybe Carlton Banks instead.

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Glad to see you're back to your snarky self Dirty. I know at least 6 people that were in housing along with band while I was at Tech, most of whom became leaders in both organizations. It ridiculous that the decision has been taken out of the students on whether they can handle the work load.

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

From what ive gathered, its not a question of whether or not the student can handle the load, its the fact that no matter how hard the person works to maintain both positions, they still will be unable to give 100% to one or the other. In an organization such as the band, Robken demands your 100% effort. I realize that it has been done before, but conflicts arise. One administrator will not bend for the other to miss an event, and so on.

I have never been affiliated with housing, but i have been in our weekly drumline rehearsal(REQUIRED) and have had several members miss the rehearsal due to an RA meeting. This is extremely detrimental to the overall progression of the drumline/band.

Puppy PearlDawg has turned a few heads around herePearlDawg has turned a few heads around here PearlDawg's Avatar

ITdrummer I see where you are coming from in a way, a drumline member and even a guard member would have a harder time just because it asks for a lot more outside class rehersals. I can say though from a first hand experience that it can be done if people put their priorities in order. I think that the person who missed your rehersal could have easily had the RA meeting changed. It is a shame though that since there are so many talented people in band that they shouldn't be able to contribute to other aspects of the university outside of band. It comes down to good time managment. I think housing is ridiculous with their confrence because it is a repeat of the same thing each year and if you are not a new RA you shouldn't be penalized for missing a lot of it. The same can be said for the first few activities at band camp, unless you are a rookie it's just a reminder of fundamentals.
    I guess overall I'm just saying if I would have ever been asked to choose I would have told them I was going to Reneau because that is ridiculous, how can you pick between something you love and are passionate about (music) and a job that you need to get through college... it's just unethical to ask someone to make that choice. The director of housing and Mr. Robken need to just look at a possible compromise because this will always come up. Mr. Speed used to work with band/housing staff... I don't know what happened this year???

Quote Originally Posted by GermDawg View Post
    Glad to see you're back to your snarky self Dirty. I know at least 6 people that were in housing along with band while I was at Tech, most of whom became leaders in both organizations. It ridiculous that the decision has been taken out of the students on whether they can handle the work load.
    I agree. It would seem that obstinateness to the detriment of our school isn't confined only to our athletic department.

Quote Originally Posted by ITdrummer View Post
    its the fact that no matter how hard the person works to maintain both positions, they still will be unable to give 100% to one or the other.

Sorry man but that's B.S. you know me, I was Section Leader, KKPsi President, and an RA and gave 100% to all I couldn't have done any if I hadn't. There's been 5 Hall Directors in band; one was a drum major in KKPsi, one was lead twirler, one was trumpet section leader & in KKPsi (before they become such prima donnas), one was clarinet section leader in TBS, and the other was quite active in band and TBS, you don't become a Hall Director or any of these positions in band without giving 100%. Now the overlap happens no matter what, whether you're just in band or an RA. Because the band has sooooo much to do someone somewhere is going to have a conflict.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PearlDawg View Post
    The same can be said for the first few activities at band camp, unless you are a rookie it's just a reminder of fundamentals.
    I guess overall I'm just saying if I would have ever been asked to choose I would have told them I was going to Reneau because that is ridiculous, how can you pick between something you love and are passionate about (music) and a job that you need to get through college... it's just unethical to ask someone to make that choice
    Of my four years with the BOP I've seen members do both band and take the job as RA...also seen members attend Rush. I don't know whats up with the conficts this year but from years past, Robken has compromised with students doing both. I do see how it's affecting his job to run a successful band camp...(imagine if dooley had a guys who wanted to skip out on football camp to rush? would you think that would fly). Anyways, I think Robken have done really well in previous years in allowing his members to do multiple activities.

Got a question, what goes on at a RA conference anyways? Why is it so manditory all of the sudden? I had many friends who were RAs who missed out on this conference. Seem to me there shouldn't be much of a change in the job of a RA year to year. Nothing that can't be relayed via memo or email.

PearlDawg, i do not see how this is unethical...ppl make choices everyday. They either find a compromise, or have to choose one or the other. If money is an issue for a student, I would quit band...find an off-campus job. It pays more. Hopefully these individuals who are stuck trying to do both can find a solution.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

The argument started one-sided (band) because people were not able to be in the band they auditioned in because of RA duties (there were more problems than just that). Robken got mad with some of the RAs last year and made the decision that you can't do both...

As a specatator to this tragedy, I suspect that the issue that has changed is that there are some people wanting some friends/family that want to be RAs but can't because of no spots and the only way to do it is to clear spots. Of course, that's just what pops in my head.

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GermDawg View Post
    Sorry man but that's B.S.
    When i said that a member wouldnt be able to give 100%, i was mainly talking about drumline members, as this was the only first hand experience i had with this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearldawg
    ITdrummer I see where you are coming from in a way, a drumline member and even a guard member would have a harder time just because it asks for a lot more outside class rehersals. I can say though from a first hand experience that it can be done if people put their priorities in order. I think that the person who missed your rehersal could have easily had the RA meeting changed.
    Our monday night rehearsal is mandatory. It is what the drumline gets payed extra for(not much). Unless a member is sick, he CANNOT miss this rehearsal. The members know this before school starts. But i do know that several times, one of the drummers was late to his RA meeting and got his ass chewed out. Housing should be more accommadating to situations like these. Band is a class. Sometimes i dont think housing understands this.

Quote Originally Posted by ITdrummer View Post
    When i said that a member wouldnt be able to give 100%, i was mainly talking about drumline members, as this was the only first hand experience i had with this situation.

Our monday night rehearsal is mandatory. It is what the drumline gets payed extra for(not much). Unless a member is sick, he CANNOT miss this rehearsal. The members know this before school starts. But i do know that several times, one of the drummers was late to his RA meeting and got his ass chewed out. Housing should be more accommadating to situations like these. Band is a class. Sometimes i dont think housing understands this.
    Sounds to me like those involved need to quit whining about it on a message board and go to Dr. Reneau about it.-especially if a class is involved.

+ Reply to Thread