+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Currently Without Live Mascot

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

Re: Currently Without Live Mascot

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    I wish we would've gone with "a new breed of bulldog" rather than "the bark of a new generation", but that's neither here nor there.

Everyone is so firmly convinced Dooley will be gone in two years, you better tuck that away for the next coach. :icon_wink: He'll need a catchy slogan too!

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgmatic View Post

The dog is still alive, but the dog is not going to be serving in any type of function. The dog had a heat stroke, the dog is 15 pounds overweight and the dog is down for the count as I understand it. His health is fragile. This is my understanding of the situation. A "borrowed" bulldog will take his place. Kind of like 1st runner up in the Miss America pageant...Tech XIX should retire due to health reasons and Tech XX should step into his place.
    Bureaucracy and red tape is the hold up on any purchase made over 999.99 because this is a public university. Anything over that amount must be bidded out and its a pain in the behind to cut through the red tape to purchase a living creature. A donated bulldog puppy or young dog nicely circumvents those issues.
    Blue, if you all are working on a solution, there have been many offers to help find one here on this board and many offers to provide a place of honor and comfort for our mascot in order to secure his health and safety. Any of us would be honored and pleased to help participate in the solution. This is our university, we are the Tech "family" and he is our mascot.
    Right on! I will keep yall updated and any suggestions are welcome. Hopefully things will start rolling once everybody gets back to Ruston.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    I think we can raise an extra 2,000 easily and get us a "show quality" bulldog.

Found a breeder out of Conway, AR...i bet they will be delighted to work with Louisiana Tech to get us a new mascot
    http://steelebulldogs.com/

http://steelebulldogs.com/images/Cha...lldog_yoda.jpg
    One of their dogs (shown above)
    Yoda was in the ring for a short time in 2006
    but moved up in the rankings very fast. Yoda made it in the
    top 25 to qualify for AKC/Eukanuba National
    Championship in just 3 months of showing. At Eukanuba
    Yoda received the 1st award of Merit. As of Jan 31,2007
    Yoda is ranked #3 Bulldog in the nation.
    We don't need to get carried away on paying a lot of money for a bulldog puppy. I have some experience in showing and raising Irish Terriers and have a good bit of experience watching dogs in the show ring. I can tell you that what 90% of the judges want to see in an English bulldog is that he wants him to have a very big head and a very wide chest. That's what becomes a champion. Most judges will ignore the most important thing and that is how the dog moves around the ring. Those broad chested bulldogs can not move at all. If you spend $2000 for a puppy out of one of these champions, that's what you will get, another dog that waddles around and can barely walk just like TECH XIX.
    The original English bulldog was a working dog. He did not have the wide chest and large head of the ones you see today. We had an english bulldog when I was a kid that loved to work cows and hogs. when you went to load a cow, she didn't nip at the cows back legs. She walked up to the front of her, grabbed her by the nose and walked up in the trailer with her. I saw her run down my uncle's plow mule one day, jump up and grab the mule by the nose and throw the mule to the ground. That's what I want in a bulldog, I want one with some spirit.
    Another misconception about purebred dogs is that one with champion bloodlines is going to be healthier. This is not always true because many champion dogs are line bred to get a certain look. The biggest problem with line breeding is that you also carry along some bad traits and genetic problems also.
    There are several people in Arkansas that breed and sell bulldogs. I can buy a puppy for about $1200 or less. The most important thing is to check out the person that is breeding them to see if they are credible. If they do not have at least a third generation pedigree, they probably don't know what they're doing. But, you can get a third generation pedigree by calling the AKC and giving them the registration # of the mother and father.
    One more thing, some people like to get the pick of the litter. In all the time I sold Irish Terrier pups, very seldom could anyone pick out the best puppy. If the person selling puppies has only one left, that's usually the best one, because a good breeder will hold on to the best one the longest.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

What if Miss. State . . . or even Georgia DONATED from their offspring?
    Didn't we aquire one of the Tech mascots from Miss. State in recent decades?
    tm
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DONW View Post
    We don't need to get carried away on paying a lot of money for a bulldog puppy. I have some experience in showing and raising Irish Terriers and have a good bit of experience watching dogs in the show ring. I can tell you that what 90% of the judges want to see in an English bulldog is that he wants him to have a very big head and a very wide chest. That's what becomes a champion. Most judges will ignore the most important thing and that is how the dog moves around the ring. Those broad chested bulldogs can not move at all. If you spend $2000 for a puppy out of one of these champions, that's what you will get, another dog that waddles around and can barely walk just like TECH XIX.
    The original English bulldog was a working dog. He did not have the wide chest and large head of the ones you see today. We had an english bulldog when I was a kid that loved to work cows and hogs. when you went to load a cow, she didn't nip at the cows back legs. She walked up to the front of her, grabbed her by the nose and walked up in the trailer with her. I saw her run down my uncle's plow mule one day, jump up and grab the mule by the nose and throw the mule to the ground. That's what I want in a bulldog, I want one with some spirit.
    Another misconception about purebred dogs is that one with champion bloodlines is going to be healthier. This is not always true because many champion dogs are line bred to get a certain look. The biggest problem with line breeding is that you also carry along some bad traits and genetic problems also.
    There are several people in Arkansas that breed and sell bulldogs. I can buy a puppy for about $1200 or less. The most important thing is to check out the person that is breeding them to see if they are credible. If they do not have at least a third generation pedigree, they probably don't know what they're doing. But, you can get a third generation pedigree by calling the AKC and giving them the registration # of the mother and father.
    One more thing, some people like to get the pick of the litter. In all the time I sold Irish Terrier pups, very seldom could anyone pick out the best puppy. If the person selling puppies has only one left, that's usually the best one, because a good breeder will hold on to the best one the longest.
    I don't know how the breed standard got to where it is now, but you're right--bulldogs originally worked. In fact, there is much evidence to suggest the American Bulldog is much closer to what was generally referred to as a "bulldog" in the States. However, the blood lines on American Bulldogs are very cloudy. In keeping with the "new breed of bulldog" theme, my older brother breeds national champion American Bulldogs. I could get him to donate. Talk about an intimidating mascot!

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

I don't know how the breed standard got to where it is now, but you're right--bulldogs originally worked. In fact, there is much evidence to suggest the American Bulldog is much closer to what was generally referred to as a "bulldog" in the States. However, the blood lines on American Bulldogs are very cloudy. In keeping with the "new breed of bulldog" theme, my older brother breeds national champion American Bulldogs. I could get him to donate. Talk about an intimidating mascot!

I love American Bulldogs and I'd like to have one myself, but IMO we don't need to be messing with over 100 years of tradition by changing breeds.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgmatic View Post

I love American Bulldogs and I'd like to have one myself, but IMO we don't need to be messing with over 100 years of tradition by changing breeds.
    I agree. I was just humoring myself.

Varsity Bulldog Gunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her game Gunslinger's Avatar

I could be wrong, but I think that TechXVIII was related to UGA in some form or another. Does anyone know what happened to him?! Honestly, we couldn't have had him for more than 1-2 years.

Champ AG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the rough AG_jr's Avatar

What if we opened up the design of the Dawg House to the students of Tech's School of Architecture?

Quote Originally Posted by AG_jr View Post
    What if we opened up the design of the Dawg House to the students of Tech's School of Architecture?

I think that is an absolutely inspired bit of genius!!

Puppy HoodlumDawg has turned a few heads around hereHoodlumDawg has turned a few heads around here

In keeping with the "new breed of bulldog" theme, my older brother breeds national champion American Bulldogs. I could get him to donate. Talk about an intimidating mascot!
    Yeah...I agree...your brother would be a pretty intimidating mascot!

Varsity Bulldog digidawg87 seems to have something between the earsdigidawg87 seems to have something between the earsdigidawg87 seems to have something between the earsdigidawg87 seems to have something between the earsdigidawg87 seems to have something between the earsdigidawg87 seems to have something between the earsdigidawg87 seems to have something between the ears digidawg87's Avatar

We've lost at least two dogs because the host familes became to attached to leave the dogs behind when they left Tech for other jobs. I think that's what happened to Tech XVIII.

Quote Originally Posted by digidawg87 View Post
    We've lost at least two dogs because the host familes became to attached to leave the dogs behind when they left Tech for other jobs. I think that's what happened to Tech XVIII.

OMG. I've heard it all now! Oh we're leaving and btw we're taking your mascot with us. The devil you say.

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

I wonder if now would be a good time for a cloning joke?

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Horndawgs View Post
    I have an old window unit that works well that I'd donate in a heartbeat. I say old, it's only 4 years old or so and I only used it for 1.5 years.

I have it stored at my parents' house in AR and I'm going up there Aug 18 I can drop it off in Ruston on my way back.

A doghouse with AC would be something easy for us BBB faithful to put together.

Wood, paint, extension cord, AC.
    If they don't need it, you can donate it to me. I accidentally drilled into the condenser of the window unit for our bedroom in married student housing.

+ Reply to Thread