+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Early lineup

Champ Designated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the rough

Re: Early lineup

My guess:

C - Combs with Ewing battling to play some as freshman
    Infield - Goulder, Winn, Grunenwald, Kersten (Kersten may have to back up SS at times) with Bunting playing some 3B and spot duty at 2B at times.
    Out Field - P Thomas, Cobb, Jones
    DH - Bunting and Bohannon at times
    SP from pool of - Burnett, Moseley, Jones, Knotts or Anderson or Jefferson
    Middle Ps from - Jefferson or Anderson or Knotts, Bradshaw, Lassere, Helms and C Jones depending on progression after injury rehab.
    Closer - Lorio, possible C Jones if healthy and full strength with command by Spring, Burnett could help close early in season when most starters only go 5 innings and need more at end first few weeks. Depending on how starters are doing, Knotts may could drop down into this category to help out as well.

Not much quality depth to IF this year, so hope no one goes down with any serious injury.

I think Tech will have more depth and experience at pitching this year, if a redshirt and newcomer come on to help.

As stated....my guess.

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by BB LaDawg View Post
    While Combs (who has a proven "cannon") may need some relief due to the new series format, he will be our starting catcher. I am sure the freshman is good or Sim wouldn't have signed him, but I think Combs with the help of Thomas will see most of the action. I predict Combs will be a huge asset to our Dawgs this year.
    I have to agree with you. Catcher is a tough position to play as a true freshman. Ewing should contribute in future years, but Combs and Thomas are juniors with the experience that matters.

John Doe said "If he (Ewing) can hit at all I could see him starting over Combs and Thomas...."

I looked at these guys' bios and it looks like they both were good hitters in high school. Could be they just had bad years at the plate. I think we should give our proven catchers a chance to keep those spots.

Champ Dawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her game Dawg04's Avatar

Frankie Darden from Denham Springs was the catcher we actually signed to a LOI last fall.
    Ewing is a walk-on.

Champ Designated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg04 View Post
    Frankie Darden from Denham Springs was the catcher we actually signed to a LOI last fall.
    Ewing is a walk-on.
    Ewing is a Presidential Academic Scholarship preferred walkon. Not too many of those and he had them to consider to a number of top schools. Probably take 2 our scores added together to come close to his test scores.....!

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg04 View Post
    Ewing is a walk-on.
    Defensively, Darden is a stud.
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Designated Hitter View Post
    Ewing is a Presidential Academic Scholarship preferred walkon. Not too many of those and he had them to consider to a number of top schools. Probably take 2 our scores added together to come close to his test scores.....!
    Yeah, that's a little different than being "just a walk-on." I'm sure Darden and Ewing are talented (or "studs" or "cannons"), but I still say our experienced guys will have the first shots. I expect Combs and DThomas to catch most games this year.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    So is Clint.

Bulldog littledawg50 is an unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    I also heard he was a good defensive catcher but not a good hitter, at least not now but hopefully he can improve on that part of his game. I'm a big fan of red-shirting all freshmen, if you can, to help them grow and get used to the system and school. Realistically you can't always do that but don't play a freshman unless he can help the team and you don't have an upperclassman that could do the same. I think we'll red-shirt 3 pitchers, 1 maybe 2 catchers and 2 position players. My projected line-up:

Cobb-CF
    Nick G-ss
    PT-LF
    Goulder-1b
    Jericho-RF
    Bunting-DH
    Kirsten-3b
    Winn-2b
    Combs/Thomas-C

SP- Luke
    Mosely
    Jericho
    Helms

RP-Lorio
    Knotts
    Lassare
    Bradshaw
    Jefferson
    Braud
    Richard
    Anderson(BPCC)
    LHP from Texarkana

A couple of others could emerge but will probably red-shirt.

I haven't heard anything about Casey Jones, hopefully his shoulder is o.k. and can throw this fall.

This could be a very,very good team.

Puppy BB LaDawg is an unknown BB LaDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by littledawg50 View Post

LHP from Texarkana
    Zach Fowler. I hear he could help in the outfield too.

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

I'll call Casey's dad Saturday afternoon.

Looking into the numbers and as a baseball fan of LA Tech I going to throw a few topics into the mix. Probably taboo subjects.

I get the impression that Jerico Jones is a no touch subject. I saw a few games last year and I am really not impressed with his batting (I can't call it hitting). On the mound, early in his season his velo was way down. As the season went on, it seemed as if he became more effective on the mound. Hitting wise, he strikes out way too much. Last year; of his AB's basically he either hit a single or strikes out. He went to Cape Cod and didnt play. Did he get hurt or did the coach at C Cod league see something we haven't.

I would hope there are a few hitters in the younger ranks, turn JJ into a pitcher only and score some dang runs. Get Goulder hitting in the first half of the year!! Mr. Wisconsin looks to be a good fill in for D Winn. Bunting at third, Goulder at first. PT in left Cobb in CF and someone new in RF, someone new at DH. Got to be honest, I saw Bohannon and Brady(both freshman) rake all fall but got lost in season. I think Brady redshirted. Those could be two names that make some noise.

The lose to SJSU in the tourney hurt. Losing to FSU in the first game may have taken the wind out of our sails but losing to a team like SJSU didnt look or feel good.

Courtney should have played more last year. He would have been my DH, sit JJ and have Hudson in RF. I know there are many factors to determining who are your starters but from what I saw from CJones, he hit his way onto the field.

Cant wait for fall ball. We need some hitters. Our pitching should stand up pretty well. Rumor has it, we lost one redshirt freshman from last year. Anyone know who it was?

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tellmesomethingidontknow View Post
    Looking into the numbers and as a baseball fan of LA Tech I going to throw a few topics into the mix. Probably taboo subjects.

I get the impression that Jerico Jones is a no touch subject. I saw a few games last year and I am really not impressed with his batting (I can't call it hitting). On the mound, early in his season his velo was way down. As the season went on, it seemed as if he became more effective on the mound. Hitting wise, he strikes out way too much. Last year; of his AB's basically he either hit a single or strikes out. He went to Cape Cod and didnt play. Did he get hurt or did the coach at C Cod league see something we haven't.

I would hope there are a few hitters in the younger ranks, turn JJ into a pitcher only and score some dang runs. Get Goulder hitting in the first half of the year!! Mr. Wisconsin looks to be a good fill in for D Winn. Bunting at third, Goulder at first. PT in left Cobb in CF and someone new in RF, someone new at DH. Got to be honest, I saw Bohannon and Brady(both freshman) rake all fall but got lost in season. I think Brady redshirted. Those could be two names that make some noise.

The lose to SJSU in the tourney hurt. Losing to FSU in the first game may have taken the wind out of our sails but losing to a team like SJSU didnt look or feel good.

Courtney should have played more last year. He would have been my DH, sit JJ and have Hudson in RF. I know there are many factors to determining who are your starters but from what I saw from CJones, he hit his way onto the field.

Cant wait for fall ball. We need some hitters. Our pitching should stand up pretty well. Rumor has it, we lost one redshirt freshman from last year. Anyone know who it was?
    I heard Bohannon could smash and hit well last fall, but he didn't play last year. I was wondering what happened to him. Don't know who the redshirt freshman is that we lost
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

All that said and you reply to my last sentence?!?

Comments about the starting line up for the OF? I thought that would generate a discussion.

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

Comments about the starting line up for the OF? I thought that would generate a discussion.

Not to make excuses for Jericho, but he was hurt most of the year. What was originally diagnosed a groin injury, turned out to be a hernia. He has either already had surgery recently to fix it, or will have surgery soon.

Champ falcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her game falcon's Avatar

Baseball Re: Early lineup

Jericho's 2 year numbers at Tech speak for themselves.....115 hits,18 doubles,3 triples,21 home runs, 92 rbi's, .329 batting ave,.409 ob%, .964 fld%.....he played most of last season with a mis-diagnosed double hernia and still put up decent numbers. Yeah, he definitely needs to stick to pitching !!! By the way....he was batting .429 when he sustained the injury on Feb 18th.

+ Reply to Thread