+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WAC Stats from Street & Smith's

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

WAC Stats from Street & Smith's

I went through the 2007 Street & Smith's WAC projections and pulled the stats out of the narrative and found some interesting stuff. I think its pretty obvious that we needed some changes just to keep up. Don't shoot the messenger.

WAC STATS
    Street & Smith 2007

BSU 1. Best winning percentage in 1-A since 1999 (.843) (86-16)
    2. RB Johnson finished 8th in 2006 Heisman voting
    3. RB Johnson #1 TD’s (25)
    4. 2006 6th best rushing offense in the country (214.2 yds/game; 39 TD’s)
    5. S&S 2007 All WAC (4): Johnson, RB; Clady, OL; Cavendar, OL; Tadman, DB
    6. Returning starters (12)

HAW 1. QB Brennan finished 6th in 2006 Heisman voting
    2. QB Brennan broke or tied 16 NCAA records, 10 WAC records, 25 school records
    3. Brennan 2006 #1 passing yards (5,549)
    4. Brennan 2006 #1 TD passes (58) NCAA Record
    5. Brennan 2006 NCAA record for passing efficiency rating (186.0) Completed 72.6%
    of his attempts with just 12 INT in 599 attempts
    6. S&S 2007 All WAC (5): Brennan, QB; Satele, OL; Bess, WR; Kelly, PK; Leonard, LB
    7. Returning starters (15)

FSU 1. OL set school record in 2006 giving up just 12 sacks
    2. S&S 2007 All WAC (3): Wendell, OL; Clutts, DL; Jenkins, DB
    3. Returning starters (13)

NMS 1. Seven Home Games
    2. Holbrook threw for 4,619 yards breaking Ty Detmer’s NCAA record for a sophomore
    3. WR Williams 2006 #1 in receptions and yards per game
    4. S&S 2007 All WAC (2): Williams, WR; Cleaver, TE
    5. Returning starters (19)

SJS 1. 2006 top 20 rushing offense
    2. QB Tafralis set school record by completing 65.6 % of his attempts and ranked 11 in the country
    3. CB Lowery 2006 #1 INT (9)
    4. S&S 2007 All WAC (5): Davis, RB; Cole, DL; Castelo, LB; Lowery, DB; Prather, P
    5. Returning starters (13)

NEV 1. Defense allowed 2nd fewest points in WAC in 2006 (19.2/game)
    2. S&S 2007 All WAC (2): Green, OL; Butler, LB
    3. Returning starters (14)

LT 1. 2006 ranked last in points allowed per game (41.7)
    2. 2006 ranked last in yards allowed per game (483.2)
    3. 2006 second to last in rushing yards allowed per game
    4. 2006 ranked last in sacks per game (8)
    5. 2006 lost the ball 37 times, ranked first
    6. Patrick Johnson rated best athlete in WAC (I'm sure they mean Jackson)
    7. S&S 2007 All WAC (0)
    8. Returning starters (16)

USU 1. Secondary allowed most TD’s in WAC (33)
    2. LB Igboeli 2006 WAC Freshman of the Year
    3. Scored third fewest points in the country in 2006 (10.8 per game)
    4. S&S 2007 All WAC (1): Calderwood, DL
    5 Returning starters (19)

ID 1. 2006 ranked 115th in scoring defense
    2. LB Vobora led the WAC in unassisted tackles and is on Lombardi watch list
    3. DB Franks 2006 most INT (9)
    4. S&S 2007 All WAC (2): Vobora, DL; Franks, DB
    5. Returning starters (16)
    Last edited by oledawg66; 08-14-2007 at 05:16 PM.

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

Re: WAC Stats from Street & Smith's

I tried to edit the spacing. I had it laid out all nice and neat, but for some reason when I cut and paste it to the board, it gets messed up.

Champ 1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light

reading our stats, reminded me of reading statistics about louisiana.....1st in this, 49 in that, etc. we have a lot of improving to do, but the good news is that there is PLENTY of room.

Firejimoakes.com
    Webmaster
    Beaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by oledawg66 View Post
    6. Patrick Johnson rated best athlete in WAC
    7. S&S 2007 All WAC (0)
    Not to nitpick, but it is Patrick Jackson.

Returning that many starters could be good or bad. Good for experience. Bad because we stunk it up last year.

Champ TulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her game TulsaDawg's Avatar

Utah St. and New Mexico St. have 19 returning starters each!
    Go Tech!

Firejimoakes.com
    Webmaster
    Beaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaDawg View Post
    Utah St. and New Mexico St. have 19 returning starters each!
    Our 16 returning beat USU's 19 returning last year. Wonder if all of these returning starters will be starters under the Dooley regime.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oledawg66 View Post
    WAC STATS
    Street & Smith 2007

6. Patrick Johnson rated best athlete in WAC
    7. S&S 2007 All WAC (0)
    Man, I'm glad Jack Bicknell is gone. Hope the attitude left with him. I hope I never have to see stats like this about my alma mater ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaz17 View Post
    Not to nitpick, but it is Patrick Jackson.

Returning that many starters could be good or bad. Good for experience. Bad because we stunk it up last year.
    You are exactly right. I'm sure that is who they meant. I just wrote what they had in the review but I should have edited it

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    Man, I'm glad Jack Bicknell is gone. Hope the attitude left with him. I hope I never have to see stats like this about my alma mater ever again.
    To be fair, much of the defensive problems weren't really his fault. I mean, he brings in Tim Rose and loses him A YEAR LATER to TOLEDO! Then, Bates bails to take a position job at Northwestern--THE WEEK BEFORE CAMP! The administration was being cheap and we got what we paid for...

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    To be fair, much of the defensive problems weren't really his fault. I mean, he brings in Tim Rose and loses him A YEAR LATER to TOLEDO! Then, Bates bails to take a position job at Northwestern--THE WEEK BEFORE CAMP! The administration was being cheap and we got what we paid for...

I believe boxer is correct. I am not saying jack bicknell was the greatest coach in the world, but last year if it could go wrong it went wrong. I think his biggest fault was that he was too accepting of what he was told by the admininstration, they were cheap on him in every way possible, he did not question the path we were on or buck it, and his other flaw was he tried to be more of a friend to the players than a coach...and because of that he did not push them as they should have been and there was a lack of discipline and commitment. Oh and the penchant for JUCO's was not too clever either... This is my observation only and my opinion only. I liked the man and thought he got a raw deal with no support in any real way that mattered from anyone over there. Some of you may have read my novel A Perfect Storm. LOL

That being said, I think we are all much better off. He's where he needs to be and is happy as a clam and we have Dr. Dooley and its the Bark of a New Generation. We may ought to move on...

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgmatic View Post

I believe boxer is correct. I am not saying jack bicknell was the greatest coach in the world, but last year if it could go wrong it went wrong. I think his biggest fault was that he was too accepting of what he was told by the admininstration, they were cheap on him in every way possible, he did not question the path we were on or buck it, and his other flaw was he tried to be more of a friend to the players than a coach...and because of that he did not push them as they should have been and there was a lack of discipline and commitment. Oh and the penchant for JUCO's was not too clever either... This is my observation only and my opinion only. I liked the man and thought he got a raw deal with no support in any real way that mattered from anyone over there. Some of you may have read my novel A Perfect Storm. LOL

That being said, I think we are all much better off. He's where he needs to be and is happy as a clam and we have Dr. Dooley and its the Bark of a New Generation. We may ought to move on...
    I agree. Bicknell was hired BECAUSE they could control him. He didn't even get to select his initial staff. The approach to Dooley was entirely different. Bottom line, Bicknell is assistant head coach at Boston College making alot of money. He is very respected among the coaching community. I like Dooley better. All parties are well-served, let's move on.

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

Hmmm. Stats from last year...where to start.

16 returners from last years team. Doesn't matter. Even if everyone was returning, I would still believe that this is a TOTALLY different team from last year. We are not building off of last year. We did not change direction. We wiped the slate clean and completely started over. Regardless of the W/L record this year, we are playing a different brand of football entirely. Stats from last year don't mean crap in a conversation regarding the upcoming season. Period. They mean nothing.

This is the last post I will initiate regarding Bicknell. Many posters, whom I respect, have a circular argument when comparing Dooley to Bicknell. Dooley has said--many times--we cannot be successful (ala Boise State) with the way things were being run by the administration. For those who care to listen, Bicknell merely said the same thing. Should he have forced the issue? You can answer that question for yourself. Jack is not stupid as some might think. He's now the assistant Head at BC. I betcha he will get another head coaching job. Whether or not he can succeed in a different situation remains to be determined. IMO, he handled our situation with class and humility all the way through his final press conference. Half of Dooley's "observations" vindicate Bicknell much more than degrade him. I don't feel sorry for Jack nor do I feel it necessary to constantly trash him. You guys are entitled to your opinions, but that's my take. Go Dawgs!

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar

Our defense sufferred a ton of injuries last season, had little depth or experience, and some of the guys who toughed it out, ala Muse, were not 100%. Plenty of reason we were ranked 119 on D. I bet you see a significant jump up this season in all categories. We just need to stay healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by RhythmDawg View Post
    Hmmm. Stats from last year...where to start.

16 returners from last years team. Doesn't matter. Even if everyone was returning, I would still believe that this is a TOTALLY different team from last year. We are not building off of last year. We did not change direction. We wiped the slate clean and completely started over. Regardless of the W/L record this year, we are playing a different brand of football entirely. Stats from last year don't mean crap in a conversation regarding the upcoming season. Period. They mean nothing.

True. But you know they have to use something to sell their magazines. And I'm sure they use the stats that back up their predictions. But these aren't just stats from last year, they're last year's stats on the guys they think are going to have an impact this year. Gotta give em something. They did mention our new coach and coordinators and that Dooley brought in Bradshaw and Malone to talk to the team so they do know that changes are being made. They said that La Tech is at least a year away. All in all, they were very complimentary to the WAC. Said that New Mexico State has the most exciting offense in the country this side of Hawaii.

+ Reply to Thread