+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pentagon Paid Nearly 1 Million to Ship Two 19-cent Washers

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

Pentagon Paid Nearly 1 Million to Ship Two 19-cent Washers

Better start printing some more money . . .

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline...on-paid-n.html

Champ GrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to all

Re: Pentagon Paid Nearly 1 Million to Ship Two 19-cent Washers

at first i wanted to laugh....but then i decided it was better to cry.

oh dear...can't we stop this kind of crap.

Champ turbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond repute turbodawg's Avatar

Damn, the government waste. What a shame.

I know I could have provided that to the military for at least 10-15% less than what was paid for it.

Champ daybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time daybreaker2's Avatar

At first I was PO'd, thinking it was another case of abusing a position of power and just paying off friends, so I was relieved to hear it was just a case of people stealing. I hope the remaining sister gets sent to jail for a long time.

This just points out the waste in our government, though, that there was no kind of oversight that caught this for 7 years. How many more cases exactlyl ike this are there that we dont even know about?
    "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt

Champ AG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the rough AG_jr's Avatar

I'll be playing devil's advocate on this one. In my opinion the government is not at fault in this case. They set up a system so things with high priority (war items) were paid for immediately so that the items were shipped immediately. The government will seize the funds from their accounts, and the remaining sister will be in jail for a loooooong time. I find no fault in the government.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AG_jr View Post
    I'll be playing devil's advocate on this one. In my opinion the government is not at fault in this case. They set up a system so things with high priority (war items) were paid for immediately so that the items were shipped immediately. The government will seize the funds from their accounts, and the remaining sister will be in jail for a loooooong time. I find no fault in the government.
    The fault in government comes from having a computer makes decisions a living person or persons should have made... The government and military has commitees,panels, etc. for EVERYTHING, why not this too?

Champ AG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the rough AG_jr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rus-La View Post
    The fault in government comes from having a computer makes decisions a living person or persons should have made... The government and military has commitees,panels, etc. for EVERYTHING, why not this too?
    Other parts of the government that don't meet on capitol hill, actually do real work and get bogged down from time to time. Computers help take the work load off, and as it was said, these were 1st PRIORITY shipments. Stuff that had to get there, and get there fast. So, if a person were to get involved and look things over, it slows down the time in getting there. Computers=Faster Production about 99.99999999% of the time.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

I'm with you AG_jr.

Each cabinet level department (Defense, Interior, Energy, etc) has it's own Inspector General who is supposed to catch this stuff. As far as "ranking" goes, the IG has the same stature as the Secratary of the department, but his job is to watch for fraud, waste, abuse, and corruption and basically keep the secretary and his people in check. He is basically the "mirror" of the Secretary. I work on the F-22 program and I have had to deal with these guys...not because I was charging millions to ship a few washers, but because they do routine checks to make sure this type of stuff isn't going on. You are right about paying the war stuff immediately, in order to get the troops the resources they need. So, sometimes it takes the IG a little time to back-track and catch this stuff. It's a shame it took 7 years, but I'm glad they caught them.

As stupid as it sounds, this is a case of the government stopping corruption. These two sisters were not government employees, they were civilians who were contracted by the DOD to ship this stuff. Contractors are usually the ones guilty of this type of thing and the office of the IG really has to track them closely. These goofy sisters probably had heard the stories of $400 hammers and thought they could get away with inflated costs, not realizing how those costs come about and how they are tracked by the IG. Sounds to me like the government employees did their jobs pretty well (albeit 7 years too late) and the criminals have been caught.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

I guess all good things come to an end. I'm sure they had a lot of fun while it lasted. Do these girls their roots in Louisiana?

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

I think they should die for this
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    I think they should die for this
    Show a little compassion, one sister already killed herself... That has to be one of the worse things get through when a family member or close friend commites suicide.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Government waste? I would think that some of you would be just a tinge upset at the fraud committed AGAINST our government.

Oh, I'm pissed at it... mostly at the process. I still don't believe a computer should just be going "ok" to every order just because of the priority of it. There is a way to do that with someone watching over it at the same time - real time, not 7 years later...

But I don't believe in kicking a person harder and harder when they're already down... the fine and prison term will be enough will be coming to her in prison... But still, a little compassion should be shown because she's got to be screwed up in the head a little since her sister killed herself... Suicides are hard to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Rus-La View Post
    Oh, I'm pissed at it... mostly at the process. I still don't believe a computer should just be going "ok" to every order just because of the priority of it. There is a way to do that with someone watching over it at the same time - real time, not 7 years later...
    That would defeat the purpose of having the computer do it.

exactly.

+ Reply to Thread